Menu

Cameras

Home The Lounge Cameras

Participant

Curious if people have other cameras they use on their vacations or general photography vs phones?

#226488 Reply
    Neuro Neuro 
    Participant

I am a serious amateur photographer who used to lug heavy DSLR’s, multiple lenses, filters and tripod on our vacation and photography trips. Nowadays with small kids, I tends to use iphones and Sony RX series a lot more. You can also go the mirrorless route. Most cameras generate fanstastic images for vacations photos. You need to understand the basic principles of exposure and lighting, and you will get great photos even on Iphone. Unless you are ready to seriously process photos using Lightroom and Phostoshop ( or other software), it becomes an overkill.

#226490 Reply
    Participant

Yes, I do some photography as a hobby when we travel.  I’m into landscape photos mostly. For everyday stuff, I use my phone camera more than anything.  The best camera is the one you have on you at all times;)  That being said, when we are traveling, I usually have my good camera on me at all times.  I currently use a Fujifilm XT2 Mirrorless set up.  The photo below was taken on my old Nikon D750 though.  When we went to Germany last summer, I had my good camera with me with a small fixed lens.  When backpacking I always have my camera, wide angle zoom, a couple of filters, and a tripod.  If I were to go on some sort of long backpacking trek though, I might not punish myself with the extra weight and instead opt for just a camera phone.

For most people these days, everyday photos on a good phone camera will be indistinguishable from those on a DSLR.  The new iPhone cameras are quite incredible actually.  They can even mimic bokeh in such a way that it looks like a portrait was taken with a real portrait lens.

Swift Current Lake Sunrise

PhysicianOnFIRE PhysicianOnFIRE 

I used to have a Nikon DSLR setup, but it was no fun to haul around on long, uphill hikes.

I have switched to an Olympus micro four thirds mirrorless setup. Two camera bodies and 4-5 lenses weigh less than one DLSR body and a couple lenses. The picture quality is comparable, although I’d give a slight nod to the Nikon for autofocus with moving children.

40-something anesthesiologist and personal finance blogger @ https://physicianonfire.com [Part of the WCI Network] Find me on Twitter: @physicianonfire

FIRE. Financial Independence. Retire Early.

#226522 Reply
    Participant

Phone.
    Wirecutter!!!!!

#226536 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Have a Fuji X-T2 mirrorless as well. Its great but photos are time consuming, lugging, hiking, etc…not to mention editing. I dont even really use photoshop at all, lightroom is enough of a time suck.

I think I would do a Sony mirrorless if I were to start over, there is some strange detail issues in lightroom with the Fuji sensor type that can be really annoying.

Great pic hightower.

#226537 Reply
    Liked by hightower
    q-school q-school 
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Biggest issue for me with phone camera is zoom.

Second issue by a mile is memory

i think most serious have figured out how to work with camera phones and then have a small Sony Rx IV type phone that links seamlessly with cellphone and can manually control many features to take 95% of their shots.

so how important kids sports/poor indoor lighting/fast speed and zoom is to you will inform a lot of the choices.

for most part, camera phone is good enough

#226577 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

if i’m going on a trip where photos are really part of the gig (safari, etc)… i haul my Nikon DSLR with a zoom lens. otherwise for the most part i’ve resorted to iPhone photos.

#226578 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

My 5 year old found a disposable camera in a drawer a few weeks ago and asked my wife what it was.  She explained about how you need to send the fild to get developed and then go pick up the pictures.  He thought about that for a moment then asked “so then you plug it into the TV?”

For the past 5 years I just use my phone.  I had a separate camera but always forgot it/ hassle.  I guess if I was going to go shoot some scenery or wildlife it could be useful but my kids do not stand still and a fancy camera will not fix that.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#226903 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

My 5 year old found a disposable camera in a drawer a few weeks ago and asked my wife what it was.  She explained about how you need to send the fild to get developed and then go pick up the pictures.  He thought about that for a moment then asked “so then you plug it into the TV?”

For the past 5 years I just use my phone.  I had a separate camera but always forgot it/ hassle.  I guess if I was going to go shoot some scenery or wildlife it could be useful but my kids do not stand still and a fancy camera will not fix that.

Click to expand…

Middle of the day extremely fast shutter, but yes, they do not stand still, very annoying.

#227003 Reply
    IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Participant

Waterproof/shockproof is very nice… i’m surprised nobody mentioned that. I’m talking about the ones roughly 3x5x1inch and average a couple hundred bucks. They are the porridge that Goldilocks chose: much better than iPhone yet much cheaper and smaller and less fragile than SLR/mirrorless + accessories. They’re very practical for anyone, esp active people.

I find the water/shockproof cams have better quality and zoom than phone, even smaller than most current phones, virtually indestructible even without any case or screen protect or blah blah, goes underwater for some very cool images (snorkeling, rafting, cliff jump, drop in snow, etc), shoots video if you need (high or low qual depending on how much memory you want to burn), many flash settings (this is where GoPro fails), many shutter settings for various situ and night/low light, basically never out of battery, etc. They are money extremely well spent IMO. I’ve carried one to majority of planned events and vaca for over a decade (usually Nikon AW110-120 series), and it works great… unless you are a social media person who suffers anxiety unless you instantly photograph and post and caption and emoji and tag and check in for everything you do right as you do it, lmao.

I’m not Ansel Adams, so I’m just not lugging a big bag of fragile and costly SLR stuff around when you can get 90% of the same pics with pocket digi cam… and maybe $5 baby tripod if useful where you’re heading. I know from experience and results that I can fit a high enough quality cam to shoot desktops, website pics, etc in my cargo or back pocket. That matters a lot when mountain biking or hiking awhile or wet areas or wanting to take just a carry-on for a flight. Bigger is not better for 99% of people’s photo intents and purposes… and I’ve just never been interested in being paparazzi or getting perfect shots of birds 500ft away. I went the SLR route awhile ago when I was learning photo, and it basically collected dust while the pocket point & shoot digi cam was always the star due to blend of quality with availability.

Phone cam is a convenient yet necessary last resort photo tool for me. I’d echo hightower that the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it. The trusty phone is easy and fine for quick snaps in good lighting and nearby stuff, but we all know it has serious limitations for shots that you want to remember the image as screensaver, use it in powerpoint or website type application, frame or print the pics, etc… the phone cams just look pretty poor typically, very poor if you used zoom or any subpar lighting. I see the phone mainly limited in zoom and batt and flash ability and, just like the fancy cams, any phone with higher quality camera is limiting in terms of cost of replacement if it breaks or gets wet. Jack of all trades is a master of none.

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

#227007 Reply
    Participant

My wife and I love photography.  Taking pictures is a good way of capture memory.  If you ask me where we went on a trip 5 years ago, I probably could not remember.  We usually take 1000+ pictures each trip.  We always carry our heavy SLR, zoom and flash every trip we go (weight about 6-7 pounds, cost ~$5K).  I have the latest iPhone. I agree that iphone is getting better and better every year.  However, it can not replace SLR camera yet.  The only time I use iPhone on a trip is when I take a picture of where I park my car at the airport just incase I forget.

#227028 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

My wife and I love photography.  Taking pictures is a good way of capture memory.  If you ask me where we went on a trip 5 years ago, I probably would not remember.  We usually take 1000+ pictures each trip.  We always carry our heavy SLR, zoom and flash every trip we go (weight about 6-7 pounds, cost ~$5K).  I have the latest iPhone. I agree that iphone is getting better and better every year.  However, it can not replace SLR camera yet.  The only time I use iPhone on a trip is when I take a picture of where I park my car at the airport just incase I forget.

Click to expand…

I used to be dslr for many years but now mirrorless a6300. Try it out you will be a believer, the a6300 has better image quality than my old dslr and is 100x more convenient. I would never go back to a dslr. iPhone camera is good for most pictures but not fully there to replace the mirrorless for me.

#227034 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Infinity
    Participant

Totally agree with FLP, my Nikon D850, will be my last SLR.  Mirrorless is the way to go in the future.  The problem is, currently mirrorless has few options of lens available.

#227059 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Totally agree with FLP, my Nikon D850, will be my last SLR.  Mirrorless is the way to go in the future.  The problem is, currently mirrorless has few options of lens available.

Click to expand…

I actually feel bad when I see people with the huge dslr set ups. I don’t think they realize how much the technology with mirrorless has advanced, I was skeptical of mirrorless but soon realized the image quality and versatility is very similar or exceeds the dslr and with added benefit of seeing the exposure live. I used to shoot all raw but I’ve gone to all jpeg, the hassle of raw just not worth it now. I think there’s a way to upload photos directly from the a6300 to google photos but I haven’t done it yet.

#227112 Reply
    Liked by adventure

Reply To: Cameras

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear