Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

Briefcase

Home The Lounge Briefcase

• SLC OB SLC OB 
    Participant

The most important feature of a work bag for me is a space for my water bottles. I am also particular about the type of water bottle I use and have a hard time finding a bag that fits them. My current bag is at least 14 years old and size wise is perfect but I am ready for a replacement if only I could find one that works.

Click to expand…

Does the bag need to have the space for them or a special spot in the bag specifically for water bottles?

The most important feature of a work bag for me is a space for my water bottles. I am also particular about the type of water bottle I use and have a hard time finding a bag that fits them. My current bag is at least 14 years old and size wise is perfect but I am ready for a replacement if only I could find one that works.

Click to expand…

Forget about the briefcases.  I think we need to hear about these super special water bottles.  What kind and why do you like them so much?

Click to expand…

My favorite right now are the Hydroflask in a bright color, mainly because I kill all plants/flowers and the colors remind me of bright flowers… and then I drink more too!

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Flask-S24SX740-Standard-Bottle/dp/B01MS8H5TM/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=hydro+flask+lemon&qid=1565563092&s=gateway&sr=8-14

Got this one for my birthday last month.

#238140 Reply
    I Find This Humerus I Find This Humerus 
    Participant

Timbuktu bag.

Click to expand…

which one? those can get pricey

#238143 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Forget about the briefcases.  I think we need to hear about these super special water bottles.  What kind and why do you like them so much?

Click to expand…

I am partial to Liberty bottle works, the 32 oz size.  I don’t know that they’re super special, but I like the size and the fact that the lid is simple and doesn’t take multiple twists to screw on/off like some other brands.  Plus they are made in the USA and come in lots of designs so other people don’t mistake their water bottle for yours in situations where that can happen.

SLC OB, my current bag has a dedicated space for 2 water bottles in a placement that condensation doesn’t drip on anything else and the weight is well balanced.  I have found bags that is true for for a smaller water bottle but not for the 32 oz size, at least not in a style that I like.  My old work bag is fine and will probably last a long time, but I’m kind of tired of the color.  Such is life.

#238155 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB, jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

Black Patagonia messenger bag. Not cheap but have had it 2 years, use it just about every day, and it still looks new.

#238161 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant

Tom Bihn Cadet.  Also not cheap, but built to last.  Holds everything I need including my 10 yo hydroflask which has taken a beaten over the years but is still as good as new other than superficial dings and scratches.  I just put it in the bottom of the bag.

#238164 Reply
    Participant

SLC – I had a hydro flask with a flip top, it constantly leaked! Hated it. Don’t know what the hype is about.

#238166 Reply
    Participant

I have a SwissGear backpack. It has a ton of pockets, which I like. The briefcase seems to be a dated concept and less ergonomic. I guess it is a status symbol for certain professions.

In terms of water bottles… I typically get blender bottles because of the random workout stuff. It seems that the bottle is less of a problem than the solubility of the protein powder. I got a nice Yeti cup with a gift card. I haven’t used it, yet, so the jury is out. Perhaps we should start a drinking vessel thread.

#238192 Reply
    SLC OB SLC OB 
    Participant

SLC – I had a hydro flask with a flip top, it constantly leaked! Hated it. Don’t know what the hype is about.

Super weird, you should have returned it.

#238197 Reply
    Participant

Filson makes a wonderful canvas bag and they traditionally have had lifetime guarantees. I use a bag I received as a gift from a company called Vermilyea Pelle based in Washington state. The guy does handmade packs from his small shop and the quality is top notch. Work bags from these companies fall under the “buy it for life” sort of aesthetic and category and are priced accordingly. They can really take a beating and come out the other side looking no worse for the wear.  Filson does go on sale every so often.

#238199 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I am taking my stuff to a medical office not a warzone. How durable does it have to be? I know we discussed over engineering in the car thread but it seems to apply here too.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#238208 Reply

Timbuktu bag.

Click to expand…

which one? those can get pricey

Click to expand…

its a messenger bag. bought it new 9 years ago for 107. at the time was a crazy amount to spend.

its still my daily bag through med school, residency, work, all airplane trips, multiple states/countries, etc.

ranks in the top 10 of single best purchases ever made.

#238214 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant

Asked but don’t answer:
    @peds, what are the other 9?
    Carryon.

#238215 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I just carry a fabric lunch bag that holds my coffe for the morning and water bottle for the day, and sometimes a book. Not much else that I need to transfer to and from the office. When I was riding a motorcycle I would just leave my work shoes in my office as well.

#238278 Reply

When one says briefcase I’m thinking the classic hardside rectangular thing with a handle and hinges and I fail to see the utility of one, over a soft backpack or messenger bag or whatever, outside of some setting where you really have to look professional such as a lawyer or whatever that’s taking the thing to meetings.

Outside of that, I think only hipsters carry briefcases.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#238279 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Vandor-99070-Empire-Strikes-Multicolor/dp/B0035L3T86/

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#238296 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: Briefcase

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear