Menu

….Back from Cali'

Home The Lounge ….Back from Cali'

• mr_boo_jangles mr_boo_jangles 
    Participant

Thought I’d give some feedback….  And I’ll admit, I haven’t been to LA in awhile.  But do y’all drive like that…ALL the time?  5 lanes of highway, everyone zigging and zagging to the next traffic jam?? I never thought about limiting highway expansion to 3 lanes…but after this trip…holy smokes.  Prolly should have flown into Ontario rather than LAX.  That being said, too bad I didn’t rent a corvette….but i digress.

And the smog in LA is real.  Nothing like this pics online. I could hardly see the mountains until i got out of LA. I was told its actually better than it was 15 years ago.

Once out of LA, the landscape was beautiful.    I could have driven around all day just taking it in.  Redlands doesn’t seem like a bad place.  Seems like a nice valley town. Driving down Palm Street was pretty cool. People seemed friendly.  Maybe a little sleepy? Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what stage of life you’re at.

Home prices is Redlands were comparable to where i’m at now, northside chicago.  No bargains for sure.

For some reason, I decided to exit in East LA to get some gas before heading back to LAX near midnight….fun.

Still not sure moving to CA helps me attain my retirement goals.  Still running the numbers.  LA is certainly not for me. But it would increase the quality of life for my wife and kids…hands down. (Redlands, not LA).  Can’t see augmenting my physician salary driving back and forth to LA (for my budding rap career).  We’ll table that dream for awhile.

I liked Raleigh a tad bit more?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #243892 Reply
    Participant

The smog in LA is usually correlated with temperature.  Ground level ozone forms on hot days and reacts with other pollutants to form smog.  I live northeast of downtown and how clear the mountains look is my personal smog gauge.  It can vary widely from one day to the next, sometimes from one hour to the next.

You seem focused on Redlands.  If you care about smog and air quality that’s probably not where you want to be.  If you’re flexible on location within LA check out the beach citites – Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo.  Could also consider Palos Verdes, but that’s very pricey.  They have good schools and are all walkable/bikable with lots of things to do.  I lived there for several years and hope to move back at some point.

#243938 Reply
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant

physician job market in desirable part of Cali is usually saturated, desirable areas usually have no openings and if they do it’s because the COL is unaffordable or the job is awful.

lock down a good job first and then start touring

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#243940 Reply
    Participant

Probably depends on what part of the north side you are comparing yourself to.  Talking Glenview/Lakeforest or Libertyville/Mr. Prospect?  Big fan of San Diego and San Francisco, and want to eat my way through ktown in LA one of these days.

#243949 Reply
    Liked by legobikes
    Participant

Orange county preferably close to the coast ideally. Job opportunities will be limited.

#243950 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Lived in LA for residency, had an apartment 4 minutes from the hospital and 5 minutes from Griffith Park, spent a lot of time up on the peak near the Hollywood Sign. Loved it then, would never move back.

But I’ve never had a commute more than 10 minutes, perhaps you might be able to tolerate it. I had attendings at the time who would drive 1.5+ hours each way every day from Orange County. The Redlands/Loma Linda area is decent, has ready access to nature, but I don’t think the traffic on the 10/210 is any good at normal work hours. I thought seriously about it when I was thinking about doing PICU at Loma Linda. The high desert a further hour east is more my speed.

If you do move, there is an excellent produce market right off the 10 near Beaumont. Also, you will only be an hour from Joshua Tree and many of the peaks in the area.

#243964 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    mr_boo_jangles mr_boo_jangles 
    Participant

interesting.  thanks for the insight.  i honestly had no idea.

yeah, that job is there.  so i’d like to live close to work.

#244075 Reply
    Participant

thanks!

#244079 Reply
    Participant

we are in Lakeview now.

#244080 Reply
    Participant

What specialty are you again? ED? May make a difference on where the jobs are… Sounds like you have an offer though.

#244083 Reply
    Participant
    Still not sure moving to CA helps me attain my retirement goals.

Click to expand…

one of us could very well be having a TIA.

#244086 Reply
    Participant
    we are in Lakeview

Click to expand…

Love Lakeview, lived at Southport/Waveland and Diversey/Halsted.  Not exactly an inexpensive neighborhood though.

#244103 Reply
    Participant

What specialty are you? Like I said before, Kaiser is hiring in Ventura county. No to little smog. Ocean breeze keeps it cool. Lots of traffic but less than L.A. Smog was 10x worse in the 80’s when I was a kid. Thank you catalytic converters.

#244108 Reply
    Liked by Peds, Zaphod, Hank

Reply To: ….Back from Cali'

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear