The White Coat InvestorKeymasterStatus: PhysicianPosts: 4469Joined: 05/13/2011
Your first post on this forum will be held until approved by a moderator. Don’t worry, that often happens within a few minutes and should never take more than a day. We apologize for the inconvenience, but blame it on the Chinese spammers who find our forum so attractive.
Please also read the forum rules:
- Forum participants are expected to behave appropriately as though you were speaking with others on the forum face to face in polite company with small children present. If you wouldn’t say it in my living room with my kids playing on the floor, you shouldn’t type it here. Pornography, profanity, belittling, ad hominem attacks, trolling, spamming, sock puppeting, excessive abrasiveness, publicly complaining about forum moderation policies, threatening legal action against forum owners/members, and other rude behavior is not permitted. It is okay to disagree, but focus your disagreement on the ideas presented, not the person presenting them. If it is obvious you will never convince someone with whom you are arguing, agree to disagree before the argument becomes personal.
- Forum participants are expected to clearly disclose their financial conflicts of interest. If you are a financial professional, author, professional blogger, or otherwise own a significant share in a relevant business, that information should be present in your signature and/or profile. It is okay to place a link to your site or your business in your signature, but it is not okay to publish posts or comments primarily as a method of soliciting business nor to send out multiple private messages soliciting business. Signatures are limited to 250 total characters and no more than 2 lines. Your signature may contain only one URL and no more than 2 methods of contacting you (including the URL.)
- Forum participants are expected not to spam the forum. Do not post the same thread in multiple forums. While it is hard to define spam, like pornography, moderators know it when they see it. You may not be able to post images or links in your first few posts. This is to prevent spam and we thank you for your understanding.
- No Gifs. They make the forum run slower, eat up memory, and are annoying to a large percentage of forum members.
- No defamation or libel. You are not as anonymous as you think you are and both you and I are liable for what you write on this forum. Libel must be both false and damaging to somebody else. This issue typically comes up when sharing experiences you have had with financial firms who have a lot of money riding on their reputation. Stick to the facts and clearly identify your opinions to keep us all out of legal hot water.
- No naked links. If you post a link, include both a short quote from the article and your own thoughts on the article and why you think it should be discussed on the forum.
- Moderation policies are not up for public debate. If you have an issue with a step a moderator took, PM that moderator or another one and it will be reviewed. Do not re-post a moderated thread. Do not start a thread complaining about moderator actions or policies. Remember that moderators are volunteers and their decisions, while not necessarily always final, will generally be supported by other moderators and by the owners of this site. Mostly because we don’t want to do all the moderating ourselves.
- You should have particularly excellent behavior when you first start participating on the forum. Moderators may use their discretion to be more lenient with someone who makes a minor infraction but has posted hundreds of helpful comments over months or years.
- Penalties for infractions include a warning with a first offense, a one week suspension for a second offense, a one month suspension for a third offense, a one year suspension for a fourth offense, and a lifetime ban for a fifth offense. At the moderators’ discretion, if you have not had an offense for at least three months, you may start over with a warning. Also at their discretion, you can be banned after your first post particularly if your first post breaks multiple rules.
- You are not permitted to sign up with more than one profile, especially if you are under suspension or have been banned. This will result in lifetime banning. If you have a question you want asked anonymously, PM a moderator or email [email protected] (you can even do it from a new email account) and we’ll get it up.
- You are expected to have thick skin. It would be unusual to participate on a public forum for long without ever feeling offended. Please remember the words of Brigham Young in this regard: He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool. He who takes offense when offense is intended is a bigger fool.
- These policies also apply to the “Lounge” forum, although moderation policies will generally be more lenient there. If you are easily offended, stay out of the Lounge.
- Don’t type anything on to this forum that you do not expect to be on the internet for the rest of eternity. This forum is searchable by internet search engines and readable by anyone on the planet. You are allowed to use an alias and we recommend against posting personal information you or your family would be uncomfortable having on the internet. Deleting every post you ever made on the forum is not a service we offer, so think carefully before you post.
Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011December 28, 2017 at 2:42 pm MST #93533