Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

Attending Anesthesiologist Returns to Training with Huge Debt

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Attending Anesthesiologist Returns to Training with Huge Debt

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Well I don’t disagree with pursuing CC if that is your passion. And while financial security is very important, we still have people do peds fellowships knowing they’ll take a pay cut in addition to years of lost income. Obviously your situation is different as you’ve already accrued a lot of debt and might not be the best financial decision which so many have harped on already. I was just going to comment on your reason for leaving Anethesia for CC.  Now I am IM trained PCCM so a different flavor but just gonna give you my two cents although it seems like you already started fellowship so might fall on deaf ears.

1)First of all many ICUs have a large NP/PA presence and they perform a large amount of my ICU procedures to free me up to see patients. NP/PAs are not going anywhere, and while they might not be as autonomous as CPNAs I can see them having increased roles especially in small rural hospitals.

2) I’m in a bigger city in the south and what I have mostly noticed, anesthesia trained CC docs typically cover the SICU and Neuro ICU and typically work at the discretion of the surgeon. Also keep in mind, not every ICU is a closed, so in a open ICU occasionally you’ll but heads with the primary (IM doc) about management issues.

3) 7on 7off is nice on paper but it will get to you. Futile cases with family wanting everything done, young patients dying of refractory cancer, absentee families on critical care patients. But there are good cases as well. My friends who do 7on/7off say it takes about 1-2 days to recover after a week so keep that in mind. Also some places youll be doing a week of nights eventually. The place I know that does 1on/1off salary is 325k with 50k production bonus but thats regional.

I love PCCM but I wouldn’t lie and say its all roses.  I say all of this considering your load of debt and not knowing if this will add any job satisfaction (obvi I dont know you). But the concern would be you make the sacrifices to forgo paying off debt to undergo additional training and wind up in a place no better in terms of job satisfaction with the accrued interest on top of your debt. Best of luck and good luck in fellowship.

#229201 Reply
    Participant

Well I don’t disagree with pursuing CC if that is your passion. And while financial security is very important, we still have people do peds fellowships knowing they’ll take a pay cut in addition to years of lost income. Obviously your situation is different as you’ve already accrued a lot of debt and might not be the best financial decision which so many have harped on already. I was just going to comment on your reason for leaving Anethesia for CC.  Now I am IM trained PCCM so a different flavor but just gonna give you my two cents although it seems like you already started fellowship so might fall on deaf ears.

1)First of all many ICUs have a large NP/PA presence and they perform a large amount of my ICU procedures to free me up to see patients. NP/PAs are not going anywhere, and while they might not be as autonomous as CPNAs I can see them having increased roles especially in small rural hospitals.

2) I’m in a bigger city in the south and what I have mostly noticed, anesthesia trained CC docs typically cover the SICU and Neuro ICU and typically work at the discretion of the surgeon. Also keep in mind, not every ICU is a closed, so in a open ICU occasionally you’ll but heads with the primary (IM doc) about management issues.

3) 7on 7off is nice on paper but it will get to you. Futile cases with family wanting everything done, young patients dying of refractory cancer, absentee families on critical care patients. But there are good cases as well. My friends who do 7on/7off say it takes about 1-2 days to recover after a week so keep that in mind. Also some places youll be doing a week of nights eventually. The place I know that does 1on/1off salary is 325k with 50k production bonus but thats regional.

I love PCCM but I wouldn’t lie and say its all roses.  I say all of this considering your load of debt and not knowing if this will add any job satisfaction (obvi I dont know you). But the concern would be you make the sacrifices to forgo paying off debt to undergo additional training and wind up in a place no better in terms of job satisfaction with the accrued interest on top of your debt. Best of luck and good luck in fellowship.

#229210 Reply
    Liked by q-school

Reply To: Attending Anesthesiologist Returns to Training with Huge Debt

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear