Menu

Apologies- Used Equipment Any Value?

Home General/Welcome Apologies- Used Equipment Any Value?

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Medicare provides some rather costly equipment on a one time basis. Examples would be motorized wheelchair, motorized Hospital beds, lift, wheelchair etc.

I am sure most times people obtain these new through the hospital or physicians signing off. On behalf of the surviving spouse is there a way to sell this type of item to one that needs a replacement or even donate?
    Of course the EOB has 14 pages of all kinds of detail , but looking at it some of it adds up to around $4-5k.

I hate to trash an electric wheelchair that has about 300 feet of use. Not aware of any resale or donation sites.

#179899 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

I’d check craigslist

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#179912 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

CL is a good option.  For non-medical stuff, I’ve listed free stuff, and my email blew up instantly.  Also, if you are near a med school, maybe see if they have a free or low cost clinic.  I’m sure they could find someone

Earn everything.

#179931 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Thanks.

#179979 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Donate it to Goodwill. Use the chargemaster price from the hospital for the value and you’ll probably get a huge deduction out of it, far more than you could ever sell it for on Craigslist.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#179982 Reply
    Participant

Recall that if you use standard deduction ($24,000 mfj), charitables and mortgage interest will be limited to the amount > $14,000 annually.

#179997 Reply
    Participant

Check with charities in your area–some Goodwill/Salvation Army/etc locations take them and some don’t.  For power wheelchairs, ideally you want to ensure it goes to someone who needs it rather than becoming a form of street transportation for someone who can’t get a driver’s license (you’d be surprised how often this happens).   One resource is the MDA (muscular dystrophy association), they are involved with neuromuscular disease clinics all over the country, if you call your local MDA clinic the clinic coordinator/social worker may also have good ideas for donation or resale.

Keep in mind the people who can afford to pay market value for such an item are usually going through their insurance.  The ones who lack coverage can’t afford to pay you anywhere near value.  So you are probably better off donating.

#180001 Reply
    Participant

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did not know what a charge master was. Now I do.

I think this effort illustrates one of the broken parts of our health care processes. I don’t blame the physician, facility, Medicare, insurance company, supplier or distributor. There is no process to refurbish or recycle.
    The particular motorized wheelchair cost $24k, with Medicare approved $20,480.57. I found out it was a replacement of the original and NEVER even sat in!

The flaw I see is the regulated market locks out any private or recycled equipment. There are all kinds of reasons.

Philosophically, I think of the “beater” car or buying new from a dealer. It’s faster, easier and more reliable (?) to buy new, and more expensive.
    Blows my mind that the wheelchair costs more than some cars and you can’t sell it. Everyone that needs it has insurance and you have to buy new. Seems like recycling equipment might reduce some costs in healthcare.

#180172 Reply

Reply To: Apologies- Used Equipment Any Value?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear