Menu

Anyone take cold showers?

Home The Lounge Anyone take cold showers?

Participant

Yeah, soap goes away better / more fully with warm to hot water.

Do these cold shower proponents not use soap and shampoo? If not, then they will be both miserable and stinky.

Click to expand…

I use the used soap that we bring back from fancy hotels(going to be thrown away anyways and they are usually pretty nice). We have a quite an impressive stack.  I’m always tempted to take the unused soaps but if we didn’t use them, we leave them for the next guests.

#243638 Reply
    Participant

I have had to take enough cold showers in my life due to being in situations where that was the only option. It’s not terrible if you don’t have to wash your hair, but washing long hair in a cold shower is miserable. It’s especially miserable when it’s also cold outside. But at the end of the day there are worse things. But I still don’t do it voluntarily.

Sauna with a cold plunge on the other hand is fun.

#243639 Reply
    Participant

I don’t feel clean if I shower with just cold water.

I do turn off the water when I’m lathering; that’s about as far as I’d go towards conservation.

#243640 Reply
    Participant

Whats the max amount of money one could possibly save in this area? That would be my first way to evaluate this idea. Its probably not even noticeable overall. There are other ways to save water.

The only time I take a shower with cold is after a run when I have clinic/OR shortly after and Im trying to cool down fast. Still tough.

Alternatively, you could tell yourself that this is something you enjoy and spend intentionally on, for the low sum of whatever increase over cold showers only is.

Click to expand…

It’s not the money, it’s the mode of living. I use a dishpan to carry out my kitchen greywater also. Probably saves me pennies at the most, but it forces me to visit my garden 5-6 times a day.

Click to expand…

I must have misinterpreted the frugal part to mean monetary.

If how you want to live involves cold showers then you need no further reasoning.

You have to keep me from the garden, or well pots and mini greenhouse I’ve been downsized to.

Click to expand…

Well, if cold showers cost me money, I wouldn’t do it cause I’m cheap. If it weren’t for the greywater, I wouldn’t visit my garden as much either, certainly not during the dark night time. Cold shower and rustling little critters amp up sympathetic system. I’ve never taking stimulants, but endogenous release might be somewhere on that spectrum.

#243646 Reply
    Participant

I recommend cold showers to my patients for a quick way to halt a panic attack while at home! Better than xanax:-)

#243648 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I recommend cold showers to my patients for a quick way to halt a panic attack while at home! Better than xanax:-)

Click to expand…

This is the opposite of my experience.

#243652 Reply
    djohnflatfeecfp djohnflatfeecfp 
    Participant
    Status: Financial Advisor, Website Sponsor, Small Business Owner

I used to after hard practices back in high school.  However, I swear I would sweat more after the cold shower than during the practices.

Accumulate Wealth, Not Fees - http://forwardthinkingwm.com/
    Daniel P. Johnson, CFP - [email protected]

#243653 Reply
    Participant

Whats the max amount of money one could possibly save in this area? That would be my first way to evaluate this idea. Its probably not even noticeable overall. There are other ways to save water.

The only time I take a shower with cold is after a run when I have clinic/OR shortly after and Im trying to cool down fast. Still tough.

Alternatively, you could tell yourself that this is something you enjoy and spend intentionally on, for the low sum of whatever increase over cold showers only is.

Click to expand…

It’s not the money, it’s the mode of living. I use a dishpan to carry out my kitchen greywater also. Probably saves me pennies at the most, but it forces me to visit my garden 5-6 times a day.

Click to expand…

I must have misinterpreted the frugal part to mean monetary.

If how you want to live involves cold showers then you need no further reasoning.

You have to keep me from the garden, or well pots and mini greenhouse I’ve been downsized to.

Click to expand…

Well, if cold showers cost me money, I wouldn’t do it cause I’m cheap. If it weren’t for the greywater, I wouldn’t visit my garden as much either, certainly not during the dark night time. Cold shower and rustling little critters amp up sympathetic system. I’ve never taking stimulants, but endogenous release might be somewhere on that spectrum.

Click to expand…

Wouldn’t it be more economical to just bathe in the kitchen greywater?  Perhaps you could dump it over your head while standing in the garden.  Sounds like a win-win-win to me.  I’m sure any dish soap that has found its way into the kitchen water will be more than adequate as shampoo.

#243730 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Or you can do what Cosmo Kramer did in Seinfeld…install a garbage disposal in the shower and prepare food as you bathe. Kill 2 birds with one stone! Now you are saving more than a couple cents a month…perhaps a whole quarter.

#243733 Reply
    Participant

When I’m really hot after a run otherwise warm-hot preferred.

#243736 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Or you can do what Cosmo Kramer did in Seinfeld…install a garbage disposal in the shower and prepare food as you bathe. Kill 2 birds with one stone! Now you are saving more than a couple cents a month…perhaps a whole quarter.

Click to expand…

Not with all the water waste from the commando 3000.  That high pressure sure is nice though.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#243884 Reply
    Liked by Dreamgiver

Lived in Mexico for six months where the temp rarely dropped below 95.  Cold showers were awesome then.

#243890 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Not with all the water waste from the commando 3000.  That high pressure sure is nice though.

Click to expand…

I bet it’s a lot harder to find a Bosnian selling black market plumbing supplies now than it was in the 90s!

#243941 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Let’s chalk this up for a pro for buying rather than renting. At least you get to pick your shower flow.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#243948 Reply
    Participant

If you don’t mind a little medical quackery, this is a fun book:

What Doesn’t Kill Us: How Freezing Water, Extreme Altitude, and Environmental Conditioning Will Renew Our Lost Evolutionary Strength
    Book by Scott Carney

It somewhat inspired me to try cold showers. Not just cool showers, but truly cold water showers – the kind that hurt and make you hyperventilate.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

#243985 Reply

Reply To: Anyone take cold showers?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear