Menu

Anyone see "The Farewell". Viable option as a treatment for end stage lu

Home The Lounge Anyone see "The Farewell". Viable option as a treatment for end stage lu

Participant

Tongue in cheek of course. It’s the first story in this This American Story podcast:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/585/in-defense-of-ignorance/act-one-6

This movie is about how in 2013 a Chinese family withholds the truth of end stage lung cancer from a grandmother. They fake a wedding to have the family gather to say goodbye to the grandmother who was given 3 months to live. Misdiagnosis or good genes who knows, but 6 years later she is still alive doing well without the knowledge of her cancer, but now she might learn of it by watching the movie. Anyways, if this were the USA, she probably would have gotten chemo and the outcome might not have been the same. In a fantastical world, ignorance(not no treatment mind you, just a doctor lying and giving you a clean bill of health) vs treatment would be a curious treatment trial.

#240157 Reply
    Participant

That clinical trial would be ended early. I question the diagnosis.

#240172 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

You usually hear these nonsensical things, or “miracle” something, and usually the pt has misheard or totally taken to the extreme what the doctor might have said. Every other pt with normal path to me says, “my doctor says its the wildest theyve seen”, etc…Usually a misunderstanding, or just early in the dx course. I also get annoyed by internet people that get all fired up when someone didnt diagnose their extremely rare disease process during a routine visit far prior to anything being obvious, as if you’re a wizard or something.

Always easier to fabricate a nice narrative with one poorly remembered and understood side of the experience.

#240245 Reply
    Liked by PhotonsRGR8, Dusn, Anne
    Participant

I actually do believe in spontaneous regression and resolution of cancers in some instances. Probably whatever hurdle was preventing immune recognition was overcome and then the tumor was destroyed by the T cells/NK cells. Not saying that’s the case in this instance.

#240319 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I actually do believe in spontaneous regression and resolution of cancers in some instances. Probably whatever hurdle was preventing immune recognition was overcome and then the tumor was destroyed by the T cells/NK cells. Not saying that’s the case in this instance.

Click to expand…

Those things are possible. So rare as to be safely ignored in almost all circumstances. It certainly had nothing to do with the Ayahuasca trip they took and centering all the chakras with the right cage free organic crystal vibrations.

People have a hard time with statistics and big numbers, etc…and worse understanding that this means crazy things do happen that are difficult to explain. Its totally an irrational takeaway to use these extremes and then try to apply to boring old everyday personal life. It doesnt work. That’d be like seeing someone won powerball and ‘realizing’ its the one true way to wealth and will work.

#240646 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Those things are possible. So rare as to be safely ignored in almost all circumstances. It certainly had nothing to do with the Ayahuasca trip they took and centering all the chakras with the right cage free organic crystal vibrations.

People have a hard time with statistics and big numbers, etc…and worse understanding that this means crazy things do happen that are difficult to explain. Its totally an irrational takeaway to use these extremes and then try to apply to boring old everyday personal life. It doesnt work. That’d be like seeing someone won powerball and ‘realizing’ its the one true way to wealth and will work.

Click to expand…

I don’t think the stuff in the movie helped medically. Maybe psychologically. But it’s plausible that had she been given the diagnosis with the “3 months to live” with the concomitant traditional chemo, her course could have been very different.

My godfather was diagnosed with stage 3 lung CA 1 year after he retired. Non smoker. Was told he had “3 months”. Loved golf and knew as soon as chemo started, that’d be it. Instead he passed on chemo, played golf for 10 months. My dad knew which was his last day because he used the golf cart for the first time in his life on his last golf day. He developed b/l DVTs with mets to the liver/ascites. He was gone after 2-3 weeks. Medicare won(no prolonged heroics with the burning of money). Rocketdyne won(1 year of pension after 35 years of work). Most importantly, my godfather won. He got to play his best 10 months of golf which could have easily been suddenly truncated with chemo.

Just saying not doing chemo isn’t always horrible.

#240717 Reply
    Liked by PhotonsRGR8
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Just saying not doing chemo isn’t always horrible.

Click to expand…

I can agree with that. Plenty of time it just seems to add x number of weeks, of which you’ll spend feeling terrible.

#240750 Reply
    Participant

Certainly each is unique. In some cases I’ve seen chemotherapy make things much worse and in some the quality of life improved as tumor burden decreased. The challenge with single cases on the internet is that it is hard to know all the factors.

3 months prognosis with a stage III lung cancer makes no sense to me and makes me question if something has been mixed up as the information was disseminated. However, it sounds like the correct decision was made for that patient.

Does anyone here tell their patients such a precise time frame? When a patient asks I will usually say something like most people in your situation live 12-18 months but some don’t make it that far and some do much better. Despite this, I’m sure they hear the doctor said I’ve only got 18 months.

#240757 Reply

Reply To: Anyone see "The Farewell". Viable option as a treatment for end stage lu

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear