Menu

Anyone love watches as much as I do?

Home The Lounge Anyone love watches as much as I do?

Participant

My husband and I bought Cartier watches (one for each of us) last year. It was because I don’t wear my rings since they rip gloves and hurt when they rotate as I’m working. It’s in lieu of the wedding bands that we wear them. I absolutely love my watch and look at it as jewelry. However, it does not keep the best time. And we could have used that money to pay down more debt. It is the last big purchase we made prior to finding the wci/ FIRE lifestyle. So, mixed feelings about the purchase. But I do love the watch!

Click to expand…

i assume they are automatic if they are not keeping time well.  how are you winding the watch?  do you see that it is fast or slow regularly?  how much variance are we talking about?

Click to expand…

It is automatic.  I don’t wind it although it did come with a fancy automatic winding thing.  I think the salesman said that the fancy winding thing was in case I left it off for a long time.  It usually runs a little fast.  Over the course of three days, I have to set it back 2 – 3 minutes.  It’s not enough to be a big deal, just enough to set off my ocd.  My husband never complains about his.

#111821 Reply
    IlliniGopher IlliniGopher 
    Participant

Fun to see all the responses and variation of peoples’ opinions.  For me, I just want two.  One for when I am debt free (GMT Batman).  One for when I retire (hopefully FIRE) – Patek Aquanaut or Nautilus.  Both of which I would get engraved with a message to my daughter.

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt

#111832 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, MochaDoc
    Participant

I have an omega constellation perpetual calendar which my wife bought me on our 10th anniversary. We just celebrated our 30th last month and I still wear that watch every day.

When I was young, I would walk down Oxford street and peer into the stores and lust after the Rolexes. My dream was to own a Rolex and drive a BMW or a Jag.

#111917 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

I get compliments on my watch, which I keep in clinic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065FWR0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click to expand…

Understated yet classic.  My only concern: is “water resist” in the same range as water resistant, or does it literally mean to resist getting water?  You know, like mogwai and gremlins?

Click to expand…

I think it means you can wash your hands, but not too vigorously.   😆

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#111977 Reply
    Participant

Fun to see all the responses and variation of peoples’ opinions.  For me, I just want two.  One for when I am debt free (GMT Batman).  One for when I retire (hopefully FIRE) – Patek Aquanaut or Nautilus.  Both of which I would get engraved with a message to my daughter.

Click to expand…

Good choices and good goals.  My timepiece selection for FI has changed several times.  Actually, I also changed the goal (from FIRE to FI to recalculating FI).  I’ve held off with engraving because it does negatively effect the resale value unless you’re somebody famous.  (I never plan to sell, but why tempt fate?  Particularly if an heir could sell one to buy a new car!)

I have shared my interest in watches with my daughter and it is something that we continue to enjoy together.  You may already know about this, but there is a video series called Talking Watches on Hodinkee; it is our “thing” to watch these segments together when they are released and talk about the watches and the owners.  Highly recommended, easily digestible (for both), G-rated, daddy-daughter time.  If she’s old enough, you might get into the deeper issue of why 0 of 18 feature women.   😡

#112023 Reply
    Liked by IlliniGopher
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

I get compliments on my watch, which I keep in clinic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065FWR0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click to expand…

Understated yet classic.  My only concern: is “water resist” in the same range as water resistant, or does it literally mean to resist getting water?  You know, like mogwai and gremlins?

Click to expand…

Funny you should ask: I left it sitting on the table lamp last night so the sweat would clear from inside the case.

#112032 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, G
    Participant

I love watches as much as my budget allows 🙂

I collected Swatch watches as a teenager.

Bought an ESQ (by Movado) when graduating from med school.

Bought an Oris for my 10th anniversary (technically my wife did I guess).

I’ve always dreamed of an RGM Corps of Engineers watch… plan on this purchase after student loans paid off and $1M net worth.  I’ve only been out of training for 9 months, so I’ve got a few years…

http://www.rgmwatches.com/801-coe/

#112035 Reply
    Liked by IlliniGopher, G

Reply To: Anyone love watches as much as I do?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear