Menu

Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

Home The Lounge Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

The older I get, the less tolerant I become of crowds and waiting lines, seeking out more exclusivity and solitude. I drove 1800 miles throughout Iceland, and dreaded the sight of tourist buses pulling up next to me. Northern and eastern most Iceland were much better. Turkey was fantastic, especially on a private yacht. Won’t lay on the beach in southern France if it’s crowded. The wife says I’m getting too grumpy.

#226235 Reply
    Participant

Johanna, they’re all for fun. I just like to be at home 🙂 It’s the best, especially in the summer!

#226311 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I used to love to board a plane and stay in a fabulous hotel.  I think in retrospect it was escaping the stress of OB call.  As soon as the plane lifted off I felt profoundly de-stressed.  Now I no longer have such stress so I travel much less.  No reason to escape.

IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Participant

I think FLP should be content to allow people to do what makes them happy.

Click to expand…

This is really the bottom line. What works for one person doesn’t work for the world.

I would travel more if I could. It can be Jamaica or Australia or the National Park to camp just an hour from your house. Doesn’t matter… the bottom line is that it’s time to relax and to not have a set schedule. You can have sights or landmarks you hope to visit, but it’s a relaxed outline at best. Having a vaca (or concert, show, sports event, party, etc) on the calendar also gives you something to look forward to and a scheduled break… good for anti-stress. To say you wouldn’t enjoy more of that anti-stress time is like saying you wouldn’t like a hotter girlfriend (“high maintainence!”) or a faster car (“insurance!”) or bigger paycheck (“more hours!”) or nicer wardrobe (“time waste!”). You’re only kidding yourself.

I have found that less trips but better planning and more upgrades (all-inclusive, guided tours, etc) whenever possible helps me have a good time. Zpak in your bag can be a huge help also, esp for foreign travel. Also, the CME trips, vacation blended with family visits or other appointments, etc are simply not as enjoyable due to some structure still being imposed. It’s just a matter of finding what you like, but you can’t make a blanket dismissal of travel just because you had a bad border crossing once or you can’t afford some of the trips that you hear about. Even if you find you really don’t like to travel or it gives you anxiety, then don’t do much of it, but starting a clickbait title and insulting a hobby many people look forward to and spend a lot of $ on is probably not the way to go. If you really feel how you posted, maybe ignore travel, don’t attack it…

“LAW 36   DISDAIN THINGS YOU CANNOT HAVE: IGNORING THEM IS THE BEST REVENGE

By acknowledging a petty problem you give it existence and credibility. The more attention you pay an enemy, the stronger you make him; and a small mistake is often made worse and more visible when you try to fix it. It is sometimes best to leave things alone. If there is something you want but cannot have, show contempt for it. The less interest you reveal, the more superior you seem.”   -R. Greene, The Laws of Power

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

#226454 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Click to expand…

I do. Just asking if other people felt travel was overrated. Anyways I’m 99.9% sure the white coat investor forum has never had a post from the location that I am at right now.

#226456 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

I do. Just asking if other people felt travel was overrated. Anyways I’m 99.9% sure the white coat investor forum has never had a post from the location that I am at right now.

Click to expand…

cool bruh

#226539 Reply
    Participant

This weighs a ton, travel’s a curse

– Monsieur Thénardier, “Master of the House” from “Les Miserables”

#226825 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Your house?

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#226827 Reply
    Participant

As a senior doc told me when I asked him how much a trip to destination he had just taken his family to; “ You are buying memories”.

#228012 Reply
    Participant

Just got back home. It’s 1:30 pm in California and Fatlittlepig’s body feels like it’s 430 am, the good news is Fatlittlepig is home!!

#228017 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Lordosis
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

Based on another thread it seemed like FLP may come to WCICON20, but I expect he’ll stay in an esoteric RV park off the old strip rather than in the conference hotel.

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#228052 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Nah been to Vegas countless times, strictly strip for me. Skimping on hotels especially in Vegas doesn’t make sense.

#228053 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

I know I have guilty of ignoring domestic travel. International seems so exotic, the Great Wall and Forbidden City , world renown cities and all inclusive beach resorts.
    Has anyone toured all 5 Great Lakes and explored all the National Parks in your OWN state? Somehow going someplace with a distance seems to make it “better “.

I am sure I am biased towards “international “ for some reason. Probably overrated too.

#228056 Reply
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

Nah been to Vegas countless times, strictly strip for me. Skimping on hotels especially in Vegas doesn’t make sense.

Click to expand…

Point wasn’t about skimping.  Point was being different to show you are different.  Hence the “esoteric RV park” and not just staying at Golden Nugget.

However there are times even in Vegas it’s worth going to the lower end strip hotels, though I don’t plan on going to an RV park anytime soon.

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#228058 Reply
    Participant

I know I have guilty of ignoring domestic travel. International seems so exotic, the Great Wall and Forbidden City , world renown cities and all inclusive beach resorts.
    Has anyone toured all 5 Great Lakes and explored all the National Parks in your OWN state? Somehow going someplace with a distance seems to make it “better “.

I am sure I am biased towards “international “ for some reason. Probably overrated too.

Click to expand…

I’m the opposite. I’m fascinated with domestic travel, particularly the national parks, nature, etc. out West.  There’s a romanticism about it for me.  I love a good roadtrip out in those parts and some of my best trips/memories were those roadtrips.  I have low-moderate interest in international travel, except for certain sights/cities.  Different strokes.  In fact I think the distance makes it more of a barrier.  Something has to be really desirable for me to be willing to be put in the time and effort to go the distance.   A lot of international spots for me are “nice to see but ok if I don’t.”

#228155 Reply
    Liked by q-school, Tim

Reply To: Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear