Menu

Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

Home The Lounge Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

I wonder if people would value travel less if they couldn’t share/talk about their experiences to others. Just thinking out loud. Regardless, I’d say hotels and tourism around the world do a tremendous service for world unity and connectivity.

#225940 Reply
    Participant

No.

Click to expand…

+100

#225945 Reply
    Participant

I reluctantly agree with you, somewhat.  The key word being OVER-rated, especially these days.  I’ve traveled a bit as well, I enjoy it here and there, I’ve lived in popular tourist destinations and follow the travel “hype” online.  I have my doubts about some of it. One of my biggest concerns these days is over-tourism in many areas.

Click to expand…

I think Venice was talking about an entrance fee just to visit for the day. It would be eliminated for people who actually stay in the city. I would guess daily tourism may not have the same impact in the US (maybe the northeast).

#225951 Reply
    Participant

Agree 100%. I know I am an oddball, but I love being at home. We have plenty of land to explore and play on and a big family to hang out with. I hate airports, crowds and being on a schedule.

#225972 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Nope! If I had unlimited funds and could have my dogs with me, I would travel non-stop. (The kids still fight too much, and they can stay home.)

Staying home and working, OOTH, are overrated.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#225986 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Maybe FLP needs to stay in nicer pens and eat at fancier troughs.

Click to expand…

https://ibb.co/2gJ8rfw

Heres where I’m staying right now.

Never said traveling was not nice just overrated. it’s more tiring than being at home and Fatlittlepig is a regimented type of person. Looking forward to going home after a few more days.

#226018 Reply
    Participant

I wonder if people would value travel less if they couldn’t share/talk about their experiences to others. Just thinking out loud. Regardless, I’d say hotels and tourism around the world do a tremendous service for world unity and connectivity.

Click to expand…

I would say yes just from my personal experience. I think people(including me) would travel to less exotic locations. Don’t get me wrong its only a small percentage of why folks travel, folks still need the relaxation component and a change of scenery and actually enjoying other cultures. Id say there is definitely a small percentage of Travelling that can be attributed to “show off” and also it makes folks “feel rich” or more blessed that they have that opportunity to travel when other can’t.

But I think your statement can basically be applied to literally everything. I’m sure to some extent just like vacationing people buy huge houses, nice cars, fancy jewelry, etc. People would do a whole lot less of if they couldn’t share/talk/be seen doing it.

#226072 Reply
    Participant

FLP that looks horrible. Where is that? Maybe your horizons would expand with more varied destinations?

#226131 Reply
    ddswifey ddswifey 
    Participant

I love to travel. However its the packing, unpacking, laundry, house disaster afterwards that is the only part I dislike. I normally don’t have to plan trips though so that part is easy on me.  But I get antsy when there’s no trip on the calendar to look forward to. As soon as we get home, we are usually already talking about the next trip.    We never have to travel for work though so I wonder if that makes a difference.

I'm here to learn

#226134 Reply
    Participant

You are describing traveling with young children.

Click to expand…

With kids, it’s a trip.

Without them, a vacation.

Blogging and videocasting about the basics of personal finance at http://physicianfinancebasics.com

#226148 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

I would say yes just from my personal experience. I think people(including me) would travel to less exotic locations. Don’t get me wrong its only a small percentage of why folks travel, folks still need the relaxation component and a change of scenery and actually enjoying other cultures. Id say there is definitely a small percentage of Travelling that can be attributed to “show off” and also it makes folks “feel rich” or more blessed that they have that opportunity to travel when other can’t.

But I think your statement can basically be applied to literally everything. I’m sure to some extent just like vacationing people buy huge houses, nice cars, fancy jewelry, etc. People would do a whole lot less of if they couldn’t share/talk/be seen doing it.

Click to expand…

Deep down we’re all peacocks. Some more than others.

#226150 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    I’ve got flights to 4 separate locations in the month of July and I admit I might enjoy my time off more if I was just at home the whole month

Click to expand…

Are these all vacation or work, also?

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#226179 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Traveling for work is overrated. Traveling for pleasure is just like any other indulgence – it’s possible to get too much of a good thing and it becomes a burden rather than a rare pleasure to be indulged. I always enjoy vacations, rare as they are. I enjoy coming back home just as much.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#226181 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

FLP that looks horrible. Where is that? Maybe your horizons would expand with more varied destinations?

Click to expand…

I thought the same. Maybe FLP does not know how to travel well?

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#226233 Reply
    Participant

I think travel, food, experience, and donation are the best things money can buy.  For us, my wife does all research and planing on where to go or what to do.  For me, I just want to spend time with family, so I am happy where ever we go.  All I have to do is smile and pay the bills.

#226234 Reply

Reply To: Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear