Menu

Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

Home The Lounge Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

• MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Maybe FLP needs to stay in nicer pens and eat at fancier troughs.

Participant

I find that with totally different location and schedule it’s easier to reinvent yourself and see the world in a different way, coming home with some new and valuable perspective. A key metric to know that you have built the life that you want is that you also look forward to coming home at the end of a nice trip and ideally find validation that you wouldn’t want to be living long term anywhere else.

#225787 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Usually after a few days away from home Fatlittlepig is ready to get back home.
    Traveling is always more fun to anticipate and think about in theory. The actual travel is exhausting, tiring- boarding planes, getting to airport, sight seeing, unhealthy eating. Good memories after the fact but kind of Overrated. And yes I have done quite a bit of traveling.

Click to expand…

Yes. Too many people glorify traveling as this awesome experience. Well, I’d encourage you to go travel, travel, travel, travel for a while. I suspect you’ll find the point at which it’s just too much. For me, three trips a month are too many. Personally, a couple of international trips, a couple of domestic trips and perhaps 5-10 in-state trips a year are plenty, especially if you have any sort of work-related travel. If you’re getting status on airlines, it’s just too much for me.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#225792 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Yes, but also depends on why, how, when, where, with whom, and for how long. Plane travel sucks; driving to beach and staying with friends for a week fishing is solid.

#225795 Reply
    Participant

I hope to do the ultimate traveling someday: a tourist trip into space.

#225797 Reply
    Participant

I think FLP should be content to allow people to do what makes them happy.

Participant

I don’t need to travel. My wife needs to travel. I need to travel.

Participant

I like travel where I can do a few activities where I connect with the locals (and also support them financially), in addition to doing the touristy museums and monuments (which I also enjoy).  We also like to stay at very nice places and eat very good food.

In Greece, we took a cooking class with non-English speaking grandmother and her granddaughter.  We also had private biking and kayaking with a local guide.  We also went to a local’s home an enjoyed a meal with them.  It’s really cool to see how some of these folks basically reinvented themselves after the financial crisis.

Superficial travel experiences however such as mass produced cruises (especially to overtouristed places like Santoini and the Cinque Terre) and large hop on hop off bus type things are gross and destructive IMO.

#225803 Reply
    Participant

Travel can be physically and mentally stressful but I pretty much always find the experience of getting out of my bubble and experiencing a different way of life to be valuable. A few ways I have found to decrease the stress and increase the enjoyment:
    –travel light. Unless I am doing a technical sport and need to bring my own equipment I no longer take anymore than can fit in my carry on bag. Whenever my husband and I are discussing whether we forgot anything while packing we have a saying “all you need is your passport and access to cash”
    –be selective with travel partners. Luckily my husband is my ideal travel partner. If your friend who is a non stop partier wants you to go to London for a week and you are more of a museum person…that might get tiresome for both of you. On the other hand it might be an interesting change of pace for both of you.
    –don’t have expectations and be open to new things and new ways of doing things. Sometimes people say they didn’t like a particular country and when I ask them why not their answer translates to “it wasn’t the same as what I’m used to at home”. If that’s what you want why travel?
    –learn a little of the language. We are lucky that a lot of people around the world speak English to some degree but I have found they are more likely to try to talk with you if you at least make an attempt in their language first.
    –plan just enough to avoid daily decision fatigue but not so much that you can’t be spontaneous and do what your mood/energy level/weather/chance encounters inspires you to do
    –remember you can always return. You don’t have to do everything on this trip.
    –take good self-care and maintain the routines that allow you to feel your best, including sleep, healthy eating, exercise, downtime
    –take a long enough vacation that you don’t feel rushed. If I’m crossing an ocean that’s a minimum of 2 weeks, if I’m crossing more than 6 time zones I start looking at 2.5-3 weeks.

Too much of a good thing is still too much. My ideal travel time per trip and per year has changed over time and I anticipate it will continue to evolve.

#225814 Reply
    triad triad 
    Participant

Traveling is always more fun to anticipate and think about in theory. The actual travel is exhausting, tiring- boarding planes, getting to airport, sight seeing, unhealthy eating. Good memories after the fact but kind of Overrated. And yes I have done quite a bit of traveling.

Click to expand…

I agree.  I might feel differently if I hated where I lived though.

#225819 Reply
    Participant
    Deleted
    #225821 Reply
    Participant

Travelling is the best. Been to 16 countries and never been a point in my life last 5 years where I didn’t at least have my next vacation already booked. (I book out 6-12 months in advance). Can’t imagine anyone who would be against it. I think it greatly depends on with whom, where, what your doing and how much planning you put into it depends on your results.

I guarantee there is a direct correlation between level of planning and level of enjoyment. Researching the restaurants/areas/types of events you like and actually reading the reviews ahead of time to truth out the tourist trap places makes a huge difference.

Planning out the logistics is also critical. Leaving enough time for layovers, not flying red eyes, knowing when to rent a car versus taxi, know public transportation ahead of time, give yourself enough time to get places, don’t pack too many events into one day, Balance rest and active days, etc. Make sure you are leaving room for spontaneity and not planning out every breakfast/lunch/dinner.

#225829 Reply
    Participant

It depends. over tourism and tourist traps are growing. We prefer slow travel.

I feel that it’s an art and a skill. You get better as you do more of it mindfully. Following the herd is usually a not good idea.

#225878 Reply
    FIREchief FIREchief 
    Participant

Click to expand…

That should be our first clue that either a) we just don’t like traveling or b) we’re doing it wrong.  I tend to agree that for me, the “dream vacations” of many are vastly overrated.  They may love them, but for me anything more than a week away is too long.  I also hate airline travel and like to stay in the USA.  A good vacation is one where I’m relaxing and having fun all week (not even thinking about home), but I’m still glad to walk into that front door back at the ranch.  Cruises, Amtrak trips, car trips no longer than a day each way all work well for FIREchief’s crew.

I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

#225880 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant
    Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

Click to expand…

Egregiously.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#225937 Reply
    Liked by Tangler

Reply To: Anyone here agree with FLP that traveling is overrated?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear