Menu

Another in flight emergency…

Home The Lounge Another in flight emergency…

• CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Just give me the whole friggin bottle of champagne and skip the OJ…now they’re discussing that the baby being born in the US is unacceptable….

Click to expand…

If I was going to deliver a 26 weeker, the US would be at the top of my list of places to deliver. My next choice would be in the aisle of an airplane over an ocean with a drunk doctor yelling at me.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#231493 Reply
    Participant

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0968533217705693?journalCode=mlia
    This is a very good review article on the issue—I am able to open it, not sure if it’s because I have institutional access. It includes info on UK and US laws but it is not encompassing as airline travel is now a global enterprise. It essentially states that there is a need for reforms as these airlines are making a killing and they should provide: 1. Insurance for doctors that volunteer to help and 2. Access to telemedicine doctors, amongst a panoply of other important issues that need to be addressed.

#231604 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

I only read the first few posts, so sorry if a recent thread I’m ignoring…

Two years prior to 9/11, I was on a trans Atlantic flight and the announcement came on for a doctor on board.  I was it.  A baby was having a peanut allergy attack (back when airlines handed out nuts..).  Since I was about 10 years out from my med school pediatric rotation, I had to call a pediatrician on the ground – from the cockpit of the 747 – to ask how to dose the SQ antihistamine in the medical kit.  Later, after the baby was improved, the pilots invited me to sit in the cockpit behind them, all plugged in with radio headphones, for the landing into Newark Airport.  An amazing experience, but will clearly never happen again post-9/11.

#231702 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Two years prior to 9/11, I was on a trans Atlantic flight and the announcement came on for a doctor on board.  I was it.  A baby was having a peanut allergy attack (back when airlines handed out nuts..).  Since I was about 10 years out from my med school pediatric rotation, I had to call a pediatrician on the ground – from the cockpit of the 747 – to ask how to dose the SQ antihistamine in the medical kit.  Later, after the baby was improved, the pilots invited me to sit in the cockpit behind them, all plugged in with radio headphones, for the landing into Newark Airport.  An amazing experience, but will clearly never happen again post-9/11.

Click to expand…

When I was a kid I just told them it was my birthday and they let me come see the cockpit.

You actually deserved it!

That door remains locked now.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#231823 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

When I was a kid I just told them it was my birthday and they let me come see the cockpit.

You actually deserved it!

Click to expand…

Yes absolutely.  I see airline pilots as patients sometimes and relate that story – they agree- never again would that be allowed.

Main surprising thing was that during the first two visits to cockpit during the flight they were very friendly, asking about restaurants in New York for that night, joking around.  During the landing in “sterile space” it was all business, checking data 2 and 3 times, totally focused and serious.  Reassuring!

#231841 Reply
    Liked by HandFellow
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Have you tried briskly walking up to the cockpit door and knocking on it?

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#231843 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, MaxPower
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Have you tried briskly walking up to the cockpit door and knocking on it?

Click to expand…

I do not think I would be free to talk about it if I did.

#231882 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

What happens if there is an in flight emergrncy and I’m an orthopod?

#232036 Reply
    Participant

You tell the flight attendant to call you back when they get better films.

sarcolema56pay@gmai [email protected] 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I was called to an emergency in Korean Airlines years ago. I did have my business card which said I was an MD of course. It really wasn’t an emergency, but just a CYA  incident on the part of the airline. An overhead suitcase fell from the bin and hit a young woman in the shoulder. She was fine but clearly upset. I suggested ice compress  and some Ibuprofen.

Easy case but the crew really “didn’t care”. It was all CYA.

For your case, not having treated an infant in decades, I would have declined any treatment of a baby. Nope. I don’t feel comfortable.

#232049 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, q-school
    Participant

I was called to an emergency in Korean Airlines years ago. I did have my business card which said I was an MD of course. It really wasn’t an emergency, but just a CYA  incident on the part of the airline. An overhead suitcase fell from the bin and hit a young woman in the shoulder. She was fine but clearly upset. I suggested ice compress  and some Ibuprofen.

Easy case but the crew really “didn’t care”. It was all CYA.

For your case, not having treated an infant in decades, I would have declined any treatment of a baby. Nope. I don’t feel comfortable.

Click to expand…

With respect, no, you would not have declined to treat the baby.  I was the only doc on board, and he was having anaphylaxis to peanuts, with obvious stridor and facial swelling.  I simply called the pediatrician on the ground, told him the baby’s age and approx weight, and I was told how much of the particular antihistamine to give subcutaneously.  I followed up an hour later and was told to give another SQ dose.  Baby improved.  Wasn’t difficult like brain surgery, or like removing a 4cm flat right colon polyp…   So I’d contend there’d be few docs on the planet who would refuse to do what they could in that situation and risk catastrophe.  How many of us could live with that?

#232072 Reply
    ACN ACN 

What happens if there is an in flight emergrncy and I’m an orthopod?

Click to expand…

You tell the flight attendant to call you back when they get better films.

Click to expand…

One view is NO VIEWS

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#232084 Reply
    Participant

Well at least they had films.

#232525 Reply
    mkintx mkintx 
    Participant

As a pathologist, I absolutely dread these announcements.  But when I hear the request a second time, and my kids are looking up at me wondering why their doctor parent is ignoring a call for help, I will absolutely respond.  I am a long way off from basic medical training, but I do feel it is my ethical responsibility.  I have treated an allergic reaction, and have been turned down for help when someone more qualified eventually responds.  If there were a medical emergency, and I were the one treating the patient, and I found out there were other physicians on the plane who couldn’t be bothered to help, you can bet I’d be judging you harshly.  I am rather appalled by the number of physicians on this thread who say they would ignore a call for help.

#232581 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I wonder how non physicians who insist upon the title of doctor feel in these situations?

#232586 Reply

Reply To: Another in flight emergency…

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear