Menu

Andrew Luck Retires at age 29

Home The Lounge Andrew Luck Retires at age 29

• fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Honestly I’m surprised more guys don’t just play one season then get out. That’s what I would do. (Well actually I would never play a sport where your brain is subjected to acceleration deceleration forces LOL)

#241444 Reply
    Liked by MPMD
    Participant

Not really going to make enough in a year to retire on. You don’t go into league making 20 mil. The rookie deals are pretty cheap except for very high draft picks

#241452 Reply
    Participant

At the age of 29, with fasting you could probably enhance BDNF’s and induce autophagy to the point of neutralizing the CTE. But only a double blind prospective study would be elucidating.

#241454 Reply
    Participant

Honestly I’m surprised more guys don’t just play one season then get out. That’s what I would do. (Well actually I would never play a sport where your brain is subjected to acceleration deceleration forces LOL)

Click to expand…

You might want to check in to how nfl compensation works.  Basically Panscan covered it, but your plan would only really work for a very small percentage of players.

Also plenty of players only play one season and then never again (although not by choice).

#241455 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, HikingDO
    Participant

Like physicians, NFL players become heavily influenced if not addicted to compensation. Not this one, but for a very good reason, his parents. His father Oliver was a quarterback (yes, NFL backup). Getting a law degree from Texas and then going on successfully in a variety of positions is amazing. Brains and athleticism run in the family. Andrew and his wife are expecting their first child. I really don’t think it has anything to do with money, I think the slowing of recovery from injury led to a simple decision. Time to move on and use the brain not the body.
    This guy has since high school been a high ceiling , gifted and talented on and off the field. Never a whiff of pretentiousness, never involved in controversy. That’s just Andrew minding his business and being the person well adjusted going through life. Houston, Indy, Silicon Valley would all welcome him back with plenty of opportunities.
    No idea what he will chose, whatever it is I would venture a guess he will be outstanding and successful.
    I certainly don’t think he will suddenly chase the dollars or fame. Time to move on to phase 3. HS, college and the NFL were fun. What’s next?

#241465 Reply
    Liked by Antares
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

There have been plenty of stories about athletes blowing through that kind of money. It it a nice change for once. I hope he knows what he is doing and doesn’t live beyond his means. It would be hard to do with that kind of money but we have seen it before.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#241467 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

The guy was beat up and living with pain on a regular basis. After 4 years of that I’d probably hang it up too, especially with a child on the way, tens of millions in the bank, and the smarts to tack to another career should I want that. I’m sure he’s already gotten calls. Hope to see him back in some capacity. Shame on Colts fans.

#241468 Reply
    Participant

Andrew Luck’s wife is Nicole Pechanec an Architectural Engineer from Standford. She is also an athlete and they met during their college years at Stanford. She works for ESPN and NBC, competed in two national finals as a gymnast.

SAHD might be a nice side hustle.

#241472 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Peds
    Participant

I acknowledge his right to make the move, but this is more selfish than courageous. Why is he rich? Because there is a social contract whereby a lot of average people pay a relative few very physically talented individuals to play a game. Sure, business decisions get made all the time by the players, league, and teams. But come on, a week before the season? That is just a lack of integrity. There were plenty of better ways to implement the decision that he made. So, good for him. He’s rich and I’m sure he will weather my approbation. On the other hand, I am sure all Baltimore fans are laughing…

#241475 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

As a Colts fan, this viscerally hurts.  I can’t believe it.

as andrew luck….his viscera literally hurt from playing for the colts.

good for him. smart guy at stanford, smart guy now.

Click to expand…

This is why you dont take players from serious schools.

#241482 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Participant

But come on, a week before the season? That is just a lack of integrity.

Click to expand…

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#241483 Reply
    Liked by Larry Ragman
    Participant

For Colts fans, Luck just ran out

#241488 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc, Peds
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Don’t kid yourself that the Colts were “unaware” of the potential. Everyone on both sides were completely informed of the difficulties and issues. The Colts were highly motivated for Luck to stay and willing and “begging” him to stay. Money was not the issue nor was integrity. Same issues last year, Andrew sucked it up and was “Comeback Player of the Year”. The high ankle injury simply tipped the scale to leaving football. Can’t run, only worried about knees, torso and shoulder.

The Colts traded in 2017 for Luck’s backup Jacoby Brissett with the Patriots. Calculated gamble the Colts lost. Pure and simple. For the Colts its just business, for Luck its life. That choice is rather obvious.

#241494 Reply
    Participant

Ryan Grigson is responsible for destroying Luck’s career but hey how about those deflated footballs?

#241501 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

There have been plenty of stories about athletes blowing through that kind of money. It it a nice change for once. I hope he knows what he is doing and doesn’t live beyond his means. It would be hard to do with that kind of money but we have seen it before.

Click to expand…

Andrew Luck stays true to his flip phone

The dude had a flip phone in 2016, I think he’ll be fine. Plus, he says he isn’t going to change his spending habits at the end.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#241502 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Tim

Reply To: Andrew Luck Retires at age 29

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear