Menu

Andrew Luck Retires at age 29

Home The Lounge Andrew Luck Retires at age 29

Participant

As a Colts fan, this viscerally hurts.  I can’t believe it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-retires-colts-quarterback-stuns-nfl-after-seven-seasons-at-age-29-per-reports/

Financially, I’m sure he must have been managing his money well these past half-dozen years. Supposedly his net worth is estimated at $40 million.  From a personal perspective, I AM happy for Luck.  It definitely shows the value of financial independence.  With several injuries piling up, he was able to just call it quits and give up $24 million+ each year, and presumably not worry about the finances.

#241411 Reply
    Molar Mechanic Molar Mechanic 
    Participant

It’s only like 15mm after taxes.  😂

#241416 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Colts have to be pissed, retiring just 2 weeks before the start of the season. I can’t blame him, with all the injuries he’s had, and he’s set financially, but with Brissett the Colts will probably be looking to draft Tua next April.

#241417 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

He has $97 million in earnings for playing 86 career NFL games.  That doesn’t even include endorsements.  I applaud Luck for making what I think is a smart, unconventional choice with his life, but let’s not pretend this is any kind of risky or courageous move in a financial sense.

#241418 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I admire his courage to retire. It was sad to see the Colts fans booing him tonight. With that said, it seems like he really has his head on straight so the money he’s made should last generations. I hope he finds the joy in life that football couldn’t give him.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#241423 Reply

As a Colts fan, this viscerally hurts.  I can’t believe it.

as andrew luck….his viscera literally hurt from playing for the colts.

good for him. smart guy at stanford, smart guy now.

#241424 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

It would be stupid not to retire. To keep playing some barbaric game and getting hit more and more, losing more neurons, CTE, doesn’t make sense.

#241427 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    It would be stupid not to retire. To keep playing some barbaric game and getting hit more and more, losing more neurons, CTE, doesn’t make sense.

Click to expand…

People trade their health for their profession all the time. Physicians do it, too, it’s just more prevalent in football. In this day and age, you can’t touch the quarterback without getting a personal foul so being an NFL quarterback and making $30M-40M a year isn’t a bad gig.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”

#241430 Reply
    Participant

Sounds like he’s had quite a few injuries so apparently someone has touched him enough.

#241432 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Sounds like he’s had quite a few injuries so apparently someone has touched him enough.

Click to expand…

I would trade his injuries and complications for the amount of money he has made in his career in a heartbeat.

#241433 Reply
    Liked by ZZZ
    Participant

Yes but would you trade your superpower as a human which is cognition…

#241434 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Yes but would you trade your superpower as a human which is cognition…

Click to expand…

He’s likely smarter than me even after all of those hits to the head plus he’s got a good sense of humor.

#241437 Reply
    Earnest refinancing bonus

imagine all the guys throwing fits cause they drafted him in fantasy like an hour ago

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#241440 Reply
    Participant

Fatlittlepig knows very little about nfl players but this particular one seems wise. Hang it up before you get sacked a few more times. I always found it odd that other players don’t do the same especially those who have nothing left to prove.

#241442 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Don’t often agree with FLP but if I had a net worth of $40 million, I would not keep playing NFL for any amount of money.  The game has gotten safer but the risk of CTE is absurd.  There was a Boston University study that found signs of it in 110 out of 111 deceased former NFL players.

#241443 Reply
    Liked by Antares

Reply To: Andrew Luck Retires at age 29

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear