Menu

Ally bank

Participant

Intrigued by their higher than average interest rates, but a bit concerned at the loss of a “brick and mortar” option. Anyone bank with Ally? Any issues in terms of accessing money in a timely manner, customer service problems, etc?

#198717 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Did a CD with them. No issues. Brick and mortar unnecessary.

#198719 Reply
    Participant

Ditto ENT. I just moved some excess cash into a CD. They were very easy to work with because I was having trouble titling the CD to our trust. Ended up just naming beneficiary but they were helpful.

#198721 Reply
    Participant

Have had $ there for years. Most hassle free accounts I have. 10/10, would recommend.

#198723 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD, AZPT
    Participant

I have only banked with them for last 2.5 years and had no issues. I actually have better ATM coverage than Bank ON America.

#198724 Reply
    Participant

I just opened account with Redneck bank (subsidiary of All America Bank, FDIC insured). Reviews look promising and so far has been a seemless process. 3% checking up to 10k and 2.5% savings up to 50K. Where I am putting my E fund cash for now… until they lower the rates at least…

#198726 Reply
    Participant
    but a bit concerned at the loss of a “brick and mortar” option.

Click to expand…

to do what exactly?

#198727 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

very easy. I only keep my emergency fund there and any savings for a “big purchase” like a used car or planning for a family vacation. You can transfer money and/or from your usual checking account and the whole process only takes a day. I went over to Ally in 2018 and should have moved over years ago. lack of inertia on my part kept my savings interest at .01% for years instead of ~1.5-2.5%. that really adds up

#198735 Reply
    Liked by AZPT
    Participant

“lack of inertia on my part kept my savings interest at .01% for years”

If learning about better interest rates was a win for you, this whole inertia thing is going to blow your mind…

#198742 Reply
    Liked by adventure, wa2106
    Participant

ha-I think I meant my inertia…not lack thereof! I knew in my mind interest rates were higher elsewhere…i just was super lazy and didn’t want to “leave” a place I had been at for many years. Dumb I know. I still keep my checking account with the old place

#198745 Reply
    Participant

I have a high interest savings acct with Ally and have had no issues. Anyone using Citi’s new savings account? 2.36% int rate is higher than Ally’s 2.2%.

#198758 Reply
    Liked by AZPT
    Participant

I’m not going to chase rates for a difference that small. My goal was really to get it away from the brick and mortar’s giving 0.01%. I am totally satisfied with Ally and their 2.2% to house my Emergency fund and big purchase savings. Easy-to-use and functional phone app, transfers to my Wells Fargo checking account within 1 day, and no hidden fees or other issues. Have been around long enough to gain my trust that I am in good hands.

If you choose the account elsewhere for 2.36%, no problem as long as it works for you.

#198899 Reply
    Liked by Tim, docnews
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

i have had no problems with ally.  they are able to handle large wire transfers which some banks outsource, and thereby lose some control over time sensitivity.  they had some trouble getting the initial handshake with my bank established but we worked it out.

they prepared their tax information in a timely way.  they converted cd’s to savings/money market accounts in a timely way.  they sent money to vanguard in timely fashion.

there are a couple things they don’t let me do on the app and make me log in from computer, but otherwise it’s all good.

#198901 Reply
    Liked by docnews
    Participant

don’t you have to pay taxes in the interest from ally bank? Isn’t treasuries better from a tax point of view at least for the big purchase savings?

#198909 Reply
    Participant

A bit more of a pain to move in and out of treasuries right?  For a pretty nominal increase in interest, I mean at 2.2% you’re still give 1.43% growth in Ally in the 35% bracket (Plus state I guess, but that varies).

#198922 Reply

Reply To: Ally bank

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear