Menu

Advice from those who have used Aptus Financial

Home Financial Advisors Advice from those who have used Aptus Financial

Participant

No I haven’t used them yet. I still plan on it but just haven’t pulled the trigger. I am finishing up WCI’s new book “financial boot camp” at the moment.

#212907 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

You sound like a good candidate for option number 1.  Read the boglehead book and Millionaire next door if you think you have spending issues.  All this stuff starts to repeat itself after a while.  If you can come up with a plan to tackle loans and develop an AA you should be set.  Hangups and questions can be addressed here.  Good luck!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#212917 Reply
    Liked by Hank
    NaOH NaOH 
    Participant

I feel like I was/am in a similar situation as OP, somewhat knowledgeable but wanting someone to confirm that we were on the right track. We used Aptus for a simple financial checkup at their hourly rate ($200/hr as of last October). Of course, this was easier for us given that they are local and we were actually able to sit down in person with them. To be honest, while I don’t regret spending the money, we also didn’t really cover a ton of new ground – we basically did get “yep, you’re doing exactly what you need to be doing, keep it up.” If that kind of reassurance is what you are looking for, it’s probably worth $250 as a one-shot deal. I agree with others here though, in terms of a real financial review, it’s probably not as necessary at this point, if you’ve found your way here.

"Don't fear failure - not failure, but low aim, is the crime.
    In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

#212949 Reply
    mkintx mkintx 
    Participant

I fired my financial “advisor” several years ago and had been managing all of my family’s finances and investing for years.  I hired Aptus to make sure I was on the right track, saving enough, and allocating appropriately.  The plans were a little different then, but I emailed them first and asked what the fee would be for what I needed, and they responded very helpfully.  Mostly I received reassurance that I was managing things well, but she also tweaked some of my allocations, suggested a slightly different savings strategy (less to college funds, more to taxable account), and pointed out a few things I hadn’t considered.  She also thought I was overpaying on some of my insurance policies, and when I looked into them I was able to save a lot in that arena.  It was a nice birds’ eye picture of my finances and future plans with an eye to my personal blindspots.  I get a lot of information from this website, but if you don’t know what question you are forgetting to ask, you won’t get an answer you need.

That said, you are early on.  Try the strategies others have listed if you want, and see how it goes.  The basics honestly aren’t that hard.

#212950 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, DCdoc, Hank
    Participant
    this was easier for us given that they are local and we were actually able to sit down in person with them.

Click to expand…

Though easier (and more comfortable) for you from a geographic standpoint, I would guess Aptus and most financial firms for that manner are able to use a video chat to meet.  A review with Aptus at Lost Forty or Flying Saucer would have been more my speed though.

#212954 Reply
    Avatar Tim Quillin, Aptus Financial 
    Participant

this was easier for us given that they are local and we were actually able to sit down in person with them.

Click to expand…

Though easier (and more comfortable) for you from a geographic standpoint, I would guess Aptus and most financial firms for that manner are able to use a video chat to meet.  A review with Aptus at Lost Forty or Flying Saucer would have been more my speed though.

Click to expand…

As an Aptus planner, I hesitate to comment on this thread but wow ajm184, I like your thinking, ha! I’m very open to the idea of meeting at Lost Forty, Flying Saucer or the new Stone’s Throw Stifft Station Taproom. To be honest, though, I’d prefer to get the serious work done at our office before starting happy hour. And as you suggest, most of our clients meet via videoconferencing.

We truly appreciate consideration from White Coat readers, who tend to be natural DIYers and therefore great candidates for our service. It doesn’t hurt our feelings, though, if you self-educate and can do it completely on your own.

Cheers

#213874 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, DCdoc, Tim
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

First, I used aptus and i like them. I ask them specific questions and i run my plan by them. Takes 1 hour per year.
    Like the WCI said , you do not necessarily have to do anything. I am similar to you (like a second opinion )
    What do i do (did I do)
    1. I read a lot of books, blogs, forums
    2. took the wci fire your advisor course
    3. use Aptus
    4. ask questions on forum
    5. Use a CPA for tax questions
    Nothing wrong with being absolutely convinced you got it how you want it. Overkill, sure, so what.
    I am happy. I will win. I have a good plan

One good point: your situation might be too simple at this point to need Aptus, at 2 years out you probably don’t have as many things to consider (as mentioned above).

How did I use Aptus and how much did I pay:

I paid 800 for first meeting then 250/hour for a one hour review for  a grand total of $1050. I had one meeting to go over my overall situation and another meeting to discuss my AA as well as which mortgage was the best option and how best to avoid violating pro-rata to do a Roth IRA (I had a SEP, a traditional IRA and a roll over IRA and needed to open a solo 401k and roll other IRAs into my 403b.) I was fairly confident with all this but wanted to ask a second opinion and get more confirmation (to go along with info from my research and info from my CPA). I used Tim with Aptus and I highly recommend him.

#213942 Reply
    Participant

I can honestly say, I used Tim and he is great!

#213945 Reply

Reply To: Advice from those who have used Aptus Financial

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear