Menu

About to start medical school in a month, any tips for me?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting About to start medical school in a month, any tips for me?

• MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

As noted, ace STEP 1

Click to expand…

As someone in program leadership let me second, third, and fourth this.

I wish we lived in a world where programs made holistic detailed judgments of all applicants, we don’t live in that world.

#226636 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

Agree with childay about skipping lectures If everything is recorded on a podcast.

Find your learning style, don’t worry how others learn but be open to new styles and tricks that help retain more and especially save time. Everyone is grinding together. Help each other out and enjoy the ride

Oh and dominate step 1

Earn everything.

#226642 Reply
    Participant

Thank you all for the advice! An important thing to note, some of you focused on the girlfriend label. While I would say that you guys are correct about combining finances being an issue. We will be getting engaged by the end of next month. We have been talking about marriage for about 2 years now. The girlfriend status is close to being over and marriage is around the corner, whenever we can scrounge up some money to cheaply tie the knot.

#226728 Reply
    Liked by spotty_dog
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    An important thing to note, some of you focused on the girlfriend label. While I would say that you guys are correct about combining finances being an issue. We will be getting engaged by the end of next month. We have been talking about marriage for about 2 years now. The girlfriend status is close to being over and marriage is around the corner, whenever we can scrounge up some money to cheaply tie the knot.

Click to expand…

Many people on this forum have seen relationships that you describe never make it to marriage. Not saying to dwell on that but just make sure you get your stuff taken care of first.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#226734 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

I was married before med school, things fell apart during second year. 2 of my buddies got engaged during med school or shortly before and things fell apart before the big day. Stuff happens. Med school and residency are the most stressful time of your life, it’s just the way it is. Life and people change dramatically during this time. You will be a very different person 8 years from now. Your spouse probably not. Anyway…not much to add, max out Roth for this year for you and your partner, then starting next year just your partner. Convert whatever non-Roth retirement accounts you have into Roth ones while your tax bracket is super low. You will not have time for a job except during the couple of months between 1st and 2nd year (many people use this time to do research in a lab our such). Focus on being the best you can at school. Forget about wasting time with a side job. Up to this point you were the star. From now on you will be a satellite among many satellites. I still remember like it was yesterday the feelings of the first few months of med school. Ride of a lifetime, enjoy it!

#226736 Reply
    Participant

“Med school and residency are the most stressful time of your life, it’s just the way it is. Life and people change dramatically during this time. You will be a very different person 8 years from now.”

The cautions by no means are directed towards your personal situation. The 8 years can easily stretch to 12 depending on residency and fellowships. I appreciate the comment about scraping enough for a “cheap wedding “. The problem is you don’t have a roadmap for yourself, let alone a spouse. Some choices you make have substantial uncertainty and that impacts the home life (what little there is). If there is any way to put off marriage until after MS, do it. But then again, if you both have your minds made up, your certainly not going to change your minds based on a silly internet thread.
    Just think how much you have changed in the last 8-12 years. Wish you well!

#226759 Reply

Reply To: About to start medical school in a month, any tips for me?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear