Menu

A new net worth milestone?

Home The Lounge A new net worth milestone?

Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Yesterday, I hit an interesting net worth milestone.  Being ~3 years out of training, we hit net zero a couple years ago, paid off student loans last year, and are now starting the SLOW march towards a seven-figure net worth.  I figured there really wasn’t any financial milestone to celebrate between now and then, but then yesterday happened.

Whats the milestone?  I FINALLY received a phone call from Personal Capital offering their advisory services!.  I had read about this happening on this forum and others, and wondered at what point would my net worth be deemed “worthy”.  Well it finally happened after 4-5 years of having my accounts aggregated there.  Now time to celebrate with some drinks, here’s to celebrating milestones with random internet strangers!

On another note, I followed previous advice here on the forum and politely explained that I am a committed DIYer and would not be interested in any services now or in the future.  The reps response was “that sounds good, just let us know if you ever need anything.”  Phone call over in about 15 seconds.  We’ll see if they try to call again.

CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Congrats! One question…Personal Capital’s cut off for advisory services is a net worth of $0?

Edit: Never mind, my reading comprehension was lacking. I see where you said you hit a net worth of $0 a few years ago.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#211913 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I hope your firm but polite no thanks works. Good luck.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#211937 Reply
    Liked by adventure, Peds
    Participant

Why did you give them your real #?

#211941 Reply
    Participant

You know that’s a great question, I have no clue…

#211946 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Theyve been contacting me forever (til I told them to never call again) even when I had negative net worth, not to pop your bubble.

#211965 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I use Mint… they have never called me…. not sure what that means! 😉

#211966 Reply
    Participant

I use Vanguard to track my investments and wealth. What do you all get out of Mint or a Personal Capital? Just to track spending?

#211989 Reply
    Participant

I use Vanguard to track my investments and wealth. What do you all get out of Mint or a Personal Capital? Just to track spending?

Click to expand…

I used mint and Personal Capital and settled on Personal Capital. It is pretty good in general aggregating all the account in one place (investments to credit cards etc) It helps track of spending and net worth, cash flow etc. I think the best part for me is that my spouse can login and see everything as well. We know how much debt we have, how much investment etc.

#212000 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Other then the annoying phone calls I have been happy with PC until lately.  The last month I have been having linking issues with my accounts and when I ask they just keep telling me it was pushed up to the IT team.  I realize it is a free service so what can I expect.  I am going to dump it and try one of the others if they do not get it figured out soon.

#212005 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Click to expand…

pretty colors. ease of data aggregation.

thats what my spreadsheet is for…

#212017 Reply
    Participant

I was with PC for several years, able to duck most of their phone calls.

I started getting a bit irritated with their tracker as they changed the profile assessment of the Vanguard small value cap fund I had which suddenly threw my allocation % way out of whack (and right after I did some re-balancing which added to the frustration).  At the time I decided to continue with them at the time just because of the fund consolidation factor.  But not soon after my wife’s Simple IRA account started having issues with logging in that couldn’t resolve itself.  After a few months I looked into it and it seemed the Simple IRA login page had changed and needed to be updated on Personal Capital’s side.  I sent them an email explaining the issue and gave them the new login website to make it super easy for them.  They sent me a speedy initial email saying my concern was upgraded to their problem solving team or whatever it was called, but after 3 months of no resolution despite my follow up emails I finally deleted my profile with them.

Probably for the better; I used to look at my index literally every weekday evening which can’t be good for mental health.

#212036 Reply
    Liked by dayman
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I was with PC for several years, able to duck most of their phone calls.

I started getting a bit irritated with their tracker as they changed the profile assessment of the Vanguard small value cap fund I had which suddenly threw my allocation % way out of whack (and right after I did some re-balancing which added to the frustration).  At the time I decided to continue with them at the time just because of the fund consolidation factor.  But not soon after my wife’s Simple IRA account started having issues with logging in that couldn’t resolve itself.  After a few months I looked into it and it seemed the Simple IRA login page had changed and needed to be updated on Personal Capital’s side.  I sent them an email explaining the issue and gave them the new login website to make it super easy for them.  They sent me a speedy initial email saying my concern was upgraded to their problem solving team or whatever it was called, but after 3 months of no resolution despite my follow up emails I finally deleted my profile with them.

Probably for the better; I used to look at my index literally every weekday evening which can’t be good for mental health.

Click to expand…

That is the holding pattern I am in now.  Sounds like I will become one of the spreadsheet guy.  Better learn how to use Excel  🙁

#212046 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

I mainly use it for the ease of tracking all my accounts in one place. I can pick up any suspicious activity fairly quickly. It does make it nice to see my spending over time but if you remove accounts or sometimes if the websites update it can throw off your previous year’s spending. I don’t need exact numbers but it’s enough to give me a general idea.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#212049 Reply
    Participant

I deleted my account with Personal Capital after the first time they called me.  I didn’t want to use a central tracking site like that anymore anyway.  I deleted my mint account too.  I just manually keep track of everything through my Vanguard account.  I find it fun updating my totals every month or so and seeing the numbers rise.  All of our spending is on one credit card (for the airline miles) so we can easily track our spending there.

#212057 Reply

Reply To: A new net worth milestone?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear