Menu

5K for a TV?

Home The Lounge 5K for a TV?

Participant
    Tim, I have a library! At least that’s what we call it. It’s more fun to say than reading room. It’s like living in a real life game of Clue.

Click to expand…

Dear Anne,

You are so sweet. I had built in bookshelves in the family room and an upstairs playroom. DW pulled my hardcover books and the “nerdy stuff” upstairs and packed them in U-Haul Boxes. So now they are in the attic or donated. I was “informed” that statues and crystal art stuff is “appropriate” for interior decorating. I did have a friend that whose parents had a HUGE room with rollout stack and a listing that followed that “library filing system”. Hunting trophies hung on the wall with a 9ft stuffed grizzly bear looking down on the couches and overstuffed chairs. If memory serves me correctly, it was below the ballroom. They had remodeled and cutoff the top two floors so there was only 3 levels. The cool part was and “escape tunnel” that led about 300 yrds and opened down past the tennis courts.

We keep the games like Clue and Shoots and ladders, Monopoly, etc in the cabinets under the decorations. I really want to get rid of the baby grand and having to have a living room to hold it. What good is a formal living room when i wear tshirts, shorts and sandals? I keep a big stack of paperbacks (about 8 ft) split between the speaker cabinets so no one sees them. I do keep a big floor magazine thingy for my Sports Illustrated’s. From an architectural standpoint its more like a “hodgepodge cluster- f” and early unpretentious mixture of modern and early American. Please don’t blame the DW, my taste is mostly in my mouth. Actually, I don’t really care to impress folks since they just don’t care either. Sarcasm comes out different in writing doesn’t it. No intention to offend, but boy do we generalize and jump to conclusions in this age.

#232753 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I have several hundred books organized my genera and author filling a good chunk of a room in my house.   I considered buying a card catalog cabinet when the local library was selling theirs a few years ago.  I thought it would be funny but my wife did not…

It is a dream of mine to have a floor to ceiling bookshelf with the ladder you push along the wall.  Maybe next house…

@tim If you are looking to get rid of the bear it would look good in such a room!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#232771 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Peds
    Participant

Instead of a formal dining room with a china cabinet we made the space into a TV room with a big screen / sonos system.  I would not say that this is any type of “investment”, but it makes it possible for us to have a movie/date night when we spontaneously have time.  If you have kids and can’t just leave the house whenever, it is a nice way to relax.  For us, it is money well spent.  We keep it off during the day to focus on more interactive activities with the kids.

#233500 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant
    It is a dream of mine to have a floor to ceiling bookshelf with the ladder you push along the wall.  Maybe next house…

Click to expand…

Agreed that would be baller

#233506 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

I have several hundred books organized my genera and author filling a good chunk of a room in my house.   I considered buying a card catalog cabinet when the local library was selling theirs a few years ago.  I thought it would be funny but my wife did not…

@tim If you are looking to get rid of the bear it would look good in such a room!

Click to expand…

I want one of those, too!  Alternatively, I’ll settle for a two-story library room with an elegant spiral staircase leading to the upper level, and a wide walkway with a wooden railing all along the second level so I can look down at the reading area in the center of the room after I’ve picked my tome of choice off the shelves.

#233516 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    TrumpMD TrumpMD 
    Participant

Am I crazy or this that ridiculous?  Someone was telling me about this 90 inch TV they just bought.

I think people assume I am more wealthy then I really am.  And I am likely more wealthy then they actually are.

My last TV was a 55 inch for $350.  Toshiba Fire TV.  Love it!

Click to expand…

Yeah I have a 55 inch Sceptre 4K for $260.  My previous Sceptre had some screen issues so I replaced it for about the same cost.  I don’t favor costly TVs.  I don’t watch TV anyway.

"Tax loss harvesting": buy high and sell low to achieve true wealth

#233674 Reply

Reply To: 5K for a TV?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear