Menu

5K for a TV?

Home The Lounge 5K for a TV?

• fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I checked my records. Spent 1350 on a 52 inch Samsung in 2009. I mounted it myself. I do have a soundbar and Apple TV. The tv is probably on less than a hour a month.

#231284 Reply
    Participant

@lordosis,
    It practically pays for itself!
    It’s even got a one year warranty!
    2% cash rewards.

Perfect for kids to roughhouse and accidentally create a discussion. “You think Dad will notice the scotch tap mom?”

#231293 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

The other issue with 8K is going to be storage and the like, that is just loads of data. Wonder how that will handle streaming wise…

I upgraded my netflix account to 4K, must do if you have a 4K tv really. Makes a big difference.

#231338 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Recent purchase: $900 55” 2018 QLED makes me gasp watching David Attenborough stuff in 4K. Mostly use the built in audio since we watch maybe 3 hrs / wk max after kiddo goes down. Fine for us – rarely bother to switch to my hifi setup. 8 ft viewing distance. Replaces an 8 yr old 47” 1080p LG which doesn’t compare at all in terms of brightness, contrast, vivid color, even for regular old HD source

I would love to geek out and go all THX on a whole room but realistically wouldn’t use it much. My LR gets a ton of daylight so I don’t think I’d see as much benefit of the deeper blacks from OLED

#231364 Reply
    Participant

I do *own* a TV . . . But it gets turned on just a few times a year, mostly for family movie nights in the winter. We don’t have cable and just watch Netflix on the laptop. So you can probably guess if I’d spend 5k on a TV😆.

#231380 Reply
    Participant

I bought a 77 inch OLED TV 2 months ago and I love it. Paid $4,500 online and don’t regret the purchase at all. I use it every day and 4k HDR programming looks incredible. Big upgrade from my 12 YO plasma.

#231492 Reply
    IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Spectator
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Discussing prices is interesting and all, but the value of the item to your life (or lack thereof) should be the major concern. wideopen hit on it well.

There is a reason TVs are dubbed the “idiot box” by the WW2 and Boomers who recognized its downsides soon after TVs became ubiquitous in households. TV is arguably the most devastating invention in American history and quality of life. I would say it absolutely was… not wretched in and of itself, but just too interesting and too captivating for the weaker monkey minds to resist or use in moderation.

It should be no surprise that the massive rise of consumerism and obesity and diabetes and mental health issues and sedentary lifestyle and the widespread breakdown of the American family structure due to “need” for dual income correlate closely with those times when TV became affordable and available to the masses. People developed FOMO for the cars and clothes and vacations they saw in commercials and on shows. Kids wanted to come home and watch TV more and play less. People largely stopped thinking for themselves and aspired to become rock stars or movie stars and desired all the money and goods they saw on TV. The fact that alcohol and tobacco ad restrictions for TV got put into place is because TV is so damn effective. It’s sad.

…I think my TV is getting pretty dusty since it’s hardly been operated since football season ended. I grew up with no TV in the house, and while I have one now, it’s basically only for guests and sports and occasional movies. I don’t even have cable, aside from maybe the basic dozen squak box channels they give you with internet service. Intelligent and rich people generally have small/no TVs and large libraries, and simple and poor people tend to have large TVs and small/no library. Life is too short to distract yourself for a large percentage of it. JMO

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

#231500 Reply
    Participant

“Intelligent and rich people generally have small/no TVs and large libraries, and simple and poor people tend to have large TVs and small/no library.”

Private libraries are extremely rare. I have heard of reading rooms. Does a doctor’s house have one?

#231503 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

“Intelligent and rich people generally have small/no TVs and large libraries, and simple and poor people tend to have large TVs and small/no library.”

Private libraries are extremely rare. I have heard of reading rooms. Does a doctor’s house have one?

Click to expand…

This is bs. Rich people have large tvs, and when they dont they have media/theater rooms. I’d bet while the average/median screen size is large and most will be right around a common size I’d bet the average/median goes up with income. Just like square footage, cars, etc…because you can and the cost is low. Hardly anyone has a library.

#231551 Reply
    Participant
    This is bs.

Click to expand…

Of course. Wealthy used to have a “ballroom” in the house for entertaining as well. Haven’t seen many custom builders featuring “ballrooms” either. For those that want a “media room”, fine. Many are shifting away from even a “living room”/”dining room” setup. It’s simply usable space. Actually, is someone has a lot of books to showoff, it’s none of my concern. “Toys” take up space, like pianos, pool tables, ping pong tables, and book collections. “Wet bars” were a feature. Classifying features as “Rich”, “large”, “intelligent” with a broad brush seems like paying to much attention to stereo types.

Well, I might need some ballroom dancing lessons now. Or another skill college kids can make popular:

The point is to each his own.

#231554 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Zaphod
    Participant

“Look at 8K now”, please tell me the source you recommend.
    Thanks.

Click to expand…

Source?

You mean Samsung?

Not sure I recommend yet, just “look”ing out of curiosity – like new medication options curious but not necessarily an early adopter.

#231561 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

@tim
    How many books does it take to make a library?

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#231565 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

Click to expand…

That wasn’t your point.

Your original point was a generalization regarding rich and poor.  Many poor people can be intelligent and rich people can be unintelligent too you know – we are not all given the same opportunities, especially around the world.

I’ve never read a single financial book and most of my multiple TV’s are 70-98″, I must be highly unintelligent and “poorer” than I could have been.

I have a library. It’s called the internet. I’m utilizing my library right now.

Zaphod correctly called you out.

#231566 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

That wasn’t your point.

Your original point was a generalization regarding rich and poor.  Many poor people can be intelligent and rich people can be unintelligent too you know – we are not all given the same opportunities, especially around the world.

I’ve never read a single financial book and most of my multiple TV’s are 70-98″, I must be highly unintelligent and “poorer” than I could have been.

I have a library. It’s called the internet. I’m utilizing my library right now.

Zaphod correctly called you out.

Click to expand…

The funny thing is is that I really do think that was Tim’s point.  He was quoting a generalization that ICB made, not making the generalization himself.  And then following it up with a sort of random comment about doctor houses and libraries.  He actually was making the point that making generalizations was silly.  This thread kind of reminds me of current news media, where a person can be made to look like saying something they didn’t really say, and their words are taken out of context.

Tim, I have a library!  At least that’s what we call it.  It’s more fun to say than reading room.  It’s like living in a real life game of Clue.

#232728 Reply
    Participant

My apologies to Tim.

#232731 Reply

Reply To: 5K for a TV?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear