Menu

5K for a TV?

Home The Lounge 5K for a TV?

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Am I crazy or this that ridiculous?  Someone was telling me about this 90 inch TV they just bought.

I think people assume I am more wealthy then I really am.  And I am likely more wealthy then they actually are.

My last TV was a 55 inch for $350.  Toshiba Fire TV.  Love it!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#230699 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I could never pay that much mainly because I don’t place enough value there. I would think you could get a decent projector and screen for less than half that but I don’t know what those costs.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#230702 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Hank Hank 

I would rather have a 77″ OLED than a 90″ LCD.

That said, if you have decent light control in your main viewing room, front projection is the way to go.  We bought our first front projector about ten years ago for $1350 with a spare bulb.  Projecting onto the wall worked fine to start, but the room layout required a screen at the new house.  ~$250 for a 110″ screen from Elite Screens worked well.  Kept the same screen when we upgraded to a newer Epson for ~$1000.  Still just 1080p, but far brighter than the older projector.

True HDR is tough with a projector.  4K front projectors are still a bit pricey, but you can get a large projected image and excellent picture quality for surprisingly little money with a projector.

#230711 Reply
    Liked by Antares, Zaphod
    FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

I could never pay that much mainly because I don’t place enough value there. I would think you could get a decent projector and screen for less than half that but I don’t know what those costs.

Click to expand…

I feel the same as Cord, but hey, some people spend 90k on a wake boat lol.  But if you feel like you are getting the value out of it, then why not?

#230713 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

I’m not a tech guy but 90″ is pretty extra large these days.  But yeah it feels like overkill, considering for about half that you could get a really killer TV that’s in the mid 80″ range.

If I ever get that big Dr. McMansion I could see dropping $5k on a sweet tv and another $5k+ for the professional surround sound setup.  But for now my old 65″ 1080p will do.

I spent a little over $2,000 on my TV back when my wife was still in medschool, and the net worth was negative.  In the same situation I’d do it again.  Worth every penny.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#230715 Reply
    Liked by Antares, Tim
    triad triad 
    Participant

Am I crazy or this that ridiculous?  Someone was telling me about this 90 inch TV they just bought.

I think people assume I am more wealthy then I really am.  And I am likely more wealthy then they actually are.

My last TV was a 55 inch for $350.  Toshiba Fire TV.  Love it!

Click to expand…

I wouldn’t buy it since I don’t value it.  Is it more ridiculous then a $400 tasting menu?  Probably not.  Doesn’t really matter how much you spend if it has enough value to you.

#230718 Reply
    Liked by Antares
    Participant

I paid about $5k for my current 57″ plasma TV, but that was many years ago when large HD TV sets were still rare.  I’m a cinema buff, so when the time comes I’ll get another nice TV because I value it highly – but since i won’t be looking at one bigger than about 60″ and the costs have dropped a lot, I doubt the new set will cost anything close to $5k.

#230722 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tv&i=electronics&bbn=13887280011&dc&qid=1563227388&ref=sr_nr_i_1

Some prime day deals available. One word of caution, on the big promotional days sometimes special items skimp on features one really wants and expects. Yes, I wouldn’t put it past some to not include and electric cord!

#230724 Reply
    Liked by HandFellow
    childay childay 
    Participant

I spent 5.5K on a 75” TV about 3 years ago.  Non OLED but back then OLED was waaay more expensive.  I have enjoyed it.  As noted, costs have dropped substantially

#230730 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    childay childay 
    Participant

Also, 90” sounds awesome

#230733 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Zaphod

I bought our 50″ plasma in 2012 for 3.5k’sh.  We watch most of our shows in the bedroom so it’s there, while a humble $400 40″ LCD is in the living room for emergencies.  At the time, I felt kind of ridiculous paying that much, but the picture was just incredible.  Seven years later, we still comment on what a good purchase it was.

If the 5k buy makes you happy and you use it enough, then go for it.  I’m having a harder time with the 90″ part of this scenario.  Are they watching it from 30 feet away or something?

#230735 Reply
    Liked by thyroxine, Craigy
    Participant

First Mr. Jones’ truck and now TVs.  People will spend their money on what they value, whether that be vacations, cars, houses.  Everyone has their vice.  Any doctor can afford that tv if he or she really wants it.

Regarding tv vs projector, to get a good projector in the perfect room and get some speakers and the actual screen to hang on the wall, you don’t come that far from a $4500 85 inch TV.  Last I checked, which was christmas, 85 was the top size for reasonable priced TVs, after that things got out of hand.

Also, if you really want to see where the money goes, its on the sound system to make the projector or TV sound good.  Guy up the street dropped 20k on the sound and the anesthesia guy across the way dropped 40k.  Kids don’t know the difference with a good sound bar.

#230737 Reply
    Hank Hank 

Sure, but you need the decent surround sound system whether you have flat panel, a front projector, or both (for daytime and lights out viewing).  Good speakers aren’t exactly cheap, but capable, high quality receivers from Denon or Onkyo are ridiculously cheap now.

It’s a shame that we have lossless audio and dirt cheap digital storage and yet most folks are listening to MP3 lossy audio on tiny earbuds on the go and crappy soundbars at home.  Heck, you routinely see chowderheads driving with white earbuds in their ears.  Use your car’s speakers!  They’re far larger, higher quality speakers and you’ll be able to hear auditory clues that could keep you from getting into a collision!  (Why don’t the police pull people over for this unsafe crime against hi-fi?)

#230751 Reply
    uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant

I’m a bit of a videophile home theatre person so a long history of probably overspending on such equipment. Began in 1996 with a 90″ rear projection Da-Lite screen and a 12k Proxima UXGA LCD projector which I also used for work-related presentations. 😉  Paired with a Yahama AV receiver and Paradigm speakers.  I’m telling you we were rocking ‘A Bug’s Life’ and ‘Land Before Time’.  Still have the rear projection set up but most viewing now done on a 65″ LG OLED which is amazing.  Was in London at Selfridge’s in May and was looking at the 75″ flush to wall OLEDs which are pretty amazing too. There are many things I don’t spend much on so a splurge once in awhile is permitted.

#230756 Reply
    Participant

I would never pay 5 K for a tv.   A tv selling for 5K will be selling for 500 in 2-3 years.  The high end prices drop very rapidly.   I would rather pay 500 for a 2-3 year old TV.  I am waiting until the technology plateaus out.  They are getting to the point where the eye cannot tell the difference between the highest resolution vs the next highest resolution.    When that happens, I will buy the second highest resolution.   90 inches is too big for any of my rooms, you have to sit pretty far back to be able to use a tv that size.

#230757 Reply

Reply To: 5K for a TV?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear