X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doc Spouse View Post
    Now that the last ten years of her career is tied to my last name, she's mine forever! *Cue creepy laughter*
    ... Very genius.
    "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Doc Spouse
      No one uses the “de maiden name” in either the Hispanic or American culture. Hispanics hyphenate the mothers maiden name for legal identity purposes.
      I may not be understanding you correctly. If so, I apologize. Are you saying that the children only have the family name on the father's side? If that's the case, it's incorrect. The only time I've seen a Latin child without both names (father-mother) is when the mother is single and didn't want to recognize the father at all. I included a link describing what I'm speaking of.

Maybe you're talking about in every day conversation? I agree completely in that case. It would be a mouthful to say, "Hey, did you see Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria yesterday? The police were after him!"

We were talking about legal name changes though, so that's why I brought up the family names.

Edit: On further thought, maybe you were talking about marriage? As in, the wife changes her name to the husband's family name and loses the maternal apellido. I've seen that in some countries (Colombia I think does this with the de), but many others in South America do not.
      Last edited by Doc Spouse; 02-26-2020, 05:20 AM.
      I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post

... Very genius.
        She was watching as I typed that, and assured me that if she ever left, she would do whatever is necessary (to include hacking websites and paying off government officials) to make sure her name was changed back on all publications and references. I don't doubt it.
        I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Spouse View Post

I may not be understanding you correctly. If so, I apologize. Are you saying that the children only have the family name on the father's side? If that's the case, it's incorrect. The only time I've seen a Latin child without both names (father-mother) is when the mother is single and didn't want to recognize the father at all. I included a link describing what I'm speaking of.

Maybe you're talking about in every day conversation? I agree completely in that case. It would be a mouthful to say, "Hey, did you see Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria yesterday? The police were after him!"

We were talking about legal name changes though, so that's why I brought up the family names.

Edit: On further thought, maybe you were talking about marriage. As in, the wife changes her name to the husband's family name and loses the maternal apellido. I've seen that in some countries (Colombia I think does this with the de), but not in many others in South America.
          Millennials? I go ask that ex-prince guy, Harry what’s his name?
          People seem to “identify” and call it tradition.
          Like South American is no longer popular.
          Latin America encompasses such other countries and territories as Peru, Venezuela, Chile, Guatemala, Ecuador, Cuba, Bolivia, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Paraguay, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy.May 31, 2018.
          Latino was invented in 1970! I guess that’s heritage! But then again, we can point to language, namely Spanish. But that’s in Europe!
          The point is that history and culture is being redefined on the fly.
          It really is.
          Read the birth certificates! Read the death certificates. First , middle, Family name for a child is specified. Then they get married. And the games begin.

Comment

My mom is a professional working woman (not in health care) and she decided legally changing her name was too much hassle/expensive. She privately goes by her husbands name and professionally by her maiden name.

I am planning on doing this too.

Comment

Working...
            X