Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife took my last name but she says that was mainly because it was a huge upgrade over her last name and she truly thought it would benefit her professionally

Comment

Originally posted by uptoolate View Post
      DW, also an MD, kept her maiden name both in practice and to friends. The idea of taking husband's name does seem outmoded to me and from a professional documentation point of view seems especially problematic. We did give her family name to one DS as a middle name but all the children are in my name - as much as I would like to to disavow them some days.
      I do find hyphenated names ungainly. DW was born in UK and they are very common there.
      I find that most docs w/ hyphenated last names end up going by the name before the hyphen. My sample is not scientific.
      I try to call people whatever they want to be called.
      My wife (MD) kept her name. My mom (MD) never took my dad's name. People act like it introduces this unmanageable confusion with respect to children. It does not.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post

I kept mine. Wife kept hers. One child has my last name, the other has hers.
        Interesting solution. How did you chose which got which?

Comment

Never ever thought about wife #1 and wife #2 or #3 . Could be rather awkward especially if they work in the same hospital or run in the same circles. I suppose changing back is a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Interesting solution. How did you chose which got which?
            The boy got mine, the girl got hers. As my daughter got a little bit older she verbalized that she was very happy with that. When I told her she only has my wife's mitochondria and none of mine, that made her even that much happier.

Comment

The boy got mine, the girl got hers. As my daughter got a little bit older she verbalized that she was very happy with that. When I told her she only has my wife's mitochondria and none of mine, that made her even that much happier.
              My wife took my last name so we did not have any issues there. But for some reason no one on my fathers side has middle names. I liked the idea of our kids not having middle names as well but my wife was not totally on board. She had a girl name in particular she wanted to use as a middle name. So we did something similar and my daughter has a middle name but my sons do not.

Comment

Awww. That would make me a little sad.

Comment

To each their own. Husband and wife, what ever floats. When it comes to kids, family name comes to mind. If it hear two last names, I immediately take that as “evidence” of a product of a prior marriage. Of course George Foreman named five boys George so they would always have something in common. My bad. I assumed unique individuality was in the first name as well.
                  So your dad is George Foreman? Which one?
                  Naming conventions were to communicate.
                  Three girls were adopted and the surnames were changed. That is your father, this is your Dad. A new family was created. It gets confusing. Do as you wish, but I really don’t understand the benefits.

Comment

Getting this brought back up makes me miss the funny wedding names that were always on the Headlines segment on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. The wedding names were the best.

Comment

Pinterest?
                      https://www.pinterest.com/bquack_1/bad-wedding-names/

Comment

My pride in sharing the same unusual surname as my 3 children, ( and my husband) trumped all else.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Bonnie MD View Post
                          I personally dislike hyphenated names. I am not married but don't plan to change my name, and we name our son with both of our names (my last name as middle name, fiance's last name).
                          Exactly what my wife did, kept her last name and both children have my wife's last name as their middle name.

Comment

Working...
                          X