Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife didn't change her name. Obviously her choice, and I didn't have a strong opinion either way at the time. Honestly, the practice feels odd to me now.

Comment

My spouse should have known better. Don't ever join a club that would take her. Live and learn.

Comment

I kept my maiden name. Life is too short to fool with bureaucratic hassles for no reason. I ended up getting divorced so I avoided 2 hassles. I never saw the point.

Comment

i kept mine. my husband and i also worked in the same hospital and i didn't want to get his pages or lab results by mistake...

Comment

What do y'all do with the kids last name?

Comment

• bean1970
              bean1970 commented
              Editing a comment
              husband's name.

I kept my name when I got married. I'm also a guy...but it's also 2019 so you never know.

Comment

• Lordosis
              Lordosis commented
              Editing a comment
              I almost said the same thing but then I thought it would be a joke only I would appreciate. Good stuff.

I married during medical school, and changed my name. If I had married after medical school I would not have changed it, but would go by our family's name socially and informally. I like having the same name as my kids, which is why I changed it, but I know many women who have a legal/professional name that is different from their social/family name.

Comment

Originally posted by mkintx View Post
              I married during medical school, and changed my name. If I had married after medical school I would not have changed it, but would go by our family's name socially and informally. I like having the same name as my kids, which is why I changed it, but I know many women who have a legal/professional name that is different from their social/family name.
              We got married right after my wife got licensed and changing her name was a huge PITA. She did it because she wanted to have the same name as the kids. (Back then potential future kids)
              It also makes the xmas cards easier.

Comment

Why wouldn't the kids have her name.....

Comment

• Hatton
                  Hatton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You fill out the birth certificate

• Lordosis
                  Lordosis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess they could have taken her name and I could have been the odd man out. I do not see that to often with married couples. Most have the fathers name or hyphenated. My family name is pretty dependent on me to continue it. My siblings and male cousins have lacked the knack for procreation.

DW, also an MD, kept her maiden name both in practice and to friends. The idea of taking husband's name does seem outmoded to me and from a professional documentation point of view seems especially problematic. We did give her family name to one DS as a middle name but all the children are in my name - as much as I would like to to disavow them some days.
                I do find hyphenated names ungainly. DW was born in UK and they are very common there.

Comment

We've been married 4 years and my wife didn't change her name yet, though originally that was the intention..mostly because we got married in fellowship and she's double-boarded with a fellowship...was too much of a PITA at the time. Maybe someday we'll get around to it, but I don't really care if it makes her professional life easier. We know we're a family for life and everyone else does as well, so no matter! Our daughter has my last name, we address our Christmas cards with my last name as a family.

Interestingly I've found that probably 75% or more of women in my department who have been married in the past 5 years changed their name (and almost right away)...so it's still the "thing to do" I guess.

Comment

Wifes a PT, but also was undergoing cancer treatments when we married. She didnt change her name due to the PITA for her physical therapy license and for the fear of messing up her medical record for future treatments. Yes they can both be fixed/dealt with, but the hassle just wasnt worth the name change. Friends still think she changed her name so everything is addressed to us in my last name. Doesnt really matter either way.

Comment

Could you just keep your maiden name legally and socially go by your married name?

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Bonnie MD View Post
                        I am not married but don't plan to change my name, and we name our son with both of our names (my last name as middle name, fiance's last name).
                        I'm a single guy. If I ever marry, long ago I decided I would like our children to have this name structure. Any future spouse would state her input, but hopefully she wouldn't oppose. Ex-girlfriends told me they would have liked to take my last name, but were warm to their maiden name as children's middle names.

Its a big deal in my family/culture for wives to take their husband's last name. I have never cared for it.

My residency director never changed her last name. It made for hella confusion when I finally met her husband, who was also an attending. She said she never wanted to go through the paperwork. They are one of my favorite married couples... Years ago the husband wanted to get "divorced" because they would save a lot in taxes. She called him an idiot every time he brought it up. They're still together.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmitt View Post
                          <blockquote class="d4pbbc-quote">
                          <div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/maiden-name-vs-married-name/#post-157670">Crockett’sRiver wrote:</a></div>
                          <div class="d4p-bbp-quote-body">

Lots of women physicians I know use their maiden name professionally (in fact, I think it’s required in OB-gyn and their husband’s name to their non-work friends.
                          <div class="d4p-bbp-quote-expand">Click to expand...</div>
                          </div></blockquote>
                          I'll chime in, despite being male. I laughed at your comment about ob-gyn as it was mostly true for my fiancées ob/gyn residency. The few that did take their husband's last names were always informally known by their maiden names or it was followed up by who?1?. On our end, and after the wedding, she is keeping her maiden name and avoiding the mess of paperwork. We haven't decided what we would do if we have kids.
                          I kept mine. Wife kept hers. One child has my last name, the other has hers.

Comment

Working...
                          X