Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVF

Our insurance does not cover IVF.

Wondering if anyone has had to pay for IVF out of pocket and  the ballpark range for total cost? I want to plan accordingly and it would help to have an estimate.

We are likely going to use RMANJ.

Thank you.

There was a thread on here about this approximately 3-4 months with the details you are looking for. Cost is very region dependent and provider dependent. Factor in 6-7k for meds (some can be ordered from European pharmacies for cheaper) and 10-15k for the procedures themselves. If you wish to have pre-implantation genetic testing on the embryos that runs another 3k or so. Lots of options and different things to consider. Many ways to skin a cat.

Comment

You can easily end up spending $50k overall, depending on how many cycles you need etc.

Comment

To be honest, you lose track of how much you spend with multiple IUI and IVF cycles. After 3 failed IUI cycles and one IVF, I'm guessing we spent around $35k-40k. I think the IVF cycle in it of itself was $25k.

Comment

Agree with all of the above. We spent about $25k. I assume you'll pay more in NJ than we did out west.

We did briefly consider a medical vacation to Europe to save on cost, but decided to stay local.

Good luck. IVF sucks, but I'm glad it's an option.

Comment

Do parents ever pay for extracting and banking eggs for college age daughters as insurance for future grandchildren? I'm banking my kid's cord blood. For what, I don't really have any idea except for nebulous unproven future bio insurance for my kids. Yes, there should be a public bank, but this is america.

Comment

Budget 50k if you are dedicated.

I would suggest looking at centers with really great outcomes (like CCRM in Colorado) and picking one of those. It will probably save you money and hassle in the long run, even if it's more work and travel upfront.

Best of luck.

Comment

Here is sample cost breakdown that i noted and obtained recently in North East.

ITEM Total Amount Notes
                Initial Consult 395
                Diagnostics, labs, obgyn etc 2100 Maybe insurance deductible
                Second Consult 200
                IVF Medication 5143
                Retrieval, ICSI,-PGS Testing 14150
                Transfer 4000
                Transfer Medication 332
                Total 26320

and recent thread about it;

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/ivf-cost-and-payment-plan/

Good Luck!

Comment

@burritos. I think that means your daughter would be giving birth to her sister/brother. Sounds a little weird to me.

Or do you mean harvesting and storing your daughters eggs, prior to her wanting to try to conceive naturally?

Comment

@burritos. I think that means your daughter would be giving birth to her sister/brother. Sounds a little weird to me.

Or do you mean harvesting and storing your daughters eggs, prior to her wanting to try to conceive naturally?

I really hope it is not the first one. 

Comment

$20-30k

Comment

I meant having her eggs extracted earlier before she goes down the IVF road when the eggs at that time are physiologically not as optimal. For her and future spouse use.

Comment

Is there any data that shows that even works? You're going to store eggs for 20 years and then it's going to make a kid that comes out fine? Seems hard to believe.

Also I feel like that is putting cart before horse.

Comment

Depending on your state, insurance may be required to cover IVF or offer coverage for IVF.  See http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/insurance-coverage-for-infertility-laws.aspx

Comment

My wife and I are just starting our second cycle with RMA now, paying out of pocket. So far, each cycle has been about 15k up front for monitoring, retrieval, and comprehensive chromosome screening. The meds prior to retrieval run just under 5k each time. Not sure of costs after the retrieval and CCS step, as we haven’t gotten there, but it’s definitely more. As you might imagine, RMA is on top of letting you know how much when the time comes.

So far we have found them to be very good, much better than another fertility group we briefly used in northern NJ. Feel free to PM me for details. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X