Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a recent study about chromosomal testing of the embryos pre-implantation. Can’t remember the numbers but basically it showed that embryos are much more capable of fixing themselves as they start developing than previously thought. Personally, we had our first implanted embryo tested, results were good, lost the pregnancy at 16 weeks for renal agenesis. Therefore we decided Not to do pre-implantation testing for the next one.

Comment

Expect to pay around $20-$50, depending on how many cycles.

Comment

Agree with $20-25K, especially the first time if you get genetic testing for one or both of you which is only needed once. There are fees for storage of embryos that aren't cheap that can vary depending how many and the length of time you store. We know a couple that had to do 4 or 5 implantations before it worked, they ended up going somewhere in Colorado and spending more than $50-60K.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/o...gtype=Homepage

Read this earlier today. Opinion piece so take with a grain of salt but details some of the dubious evidence behind the add-on's such as chromosomal testing.

Comment

Employers are adding fertility treatments to their medical plans, often with a lifetime limit. It's surely worth your time to visit your HR and ask if they are considering adding coverage to your plan and encourage them to do so.

Comment

It can get lost in the shuffle, even for physicians, but make your REI is taking the time to think about your actual problem and not just shuffling you along the path towards IVF.

First REI did the standard IUI stuff for my wife, put her on the typical meds, and after 3 chemicals (after having had another 5 chemicals in the year prior) was ready for us to do IVF. I lined up some locums to pad the coffers, and my wife thankfully got a second opinion. Next REI stopped looking at her chart the moment she said she'd had 8 chemical pregnancies in the prior 15 months, said "you don't have infertility, you have recurrent pregnancy loss!" and started a completely different workup. 2 months later and a workup that was mostly covered (since it wasn't "infertility"...insurance companies are bizarre) we got pregnant and it stuck.

If you are in a position that can accommodate it, locums can be a fairly efficient way to build up an IVF account.

Comment

How about surrogacy? Using donor eggs? Any cost examples here?

Comment

burritos

Funny you mention that. My wife and I are just starting IVF in our late 30's and 15 years of marriage. When we were in our 20's, her parents used to ask every few years if wanted to store eggs. We were never interested... if we didn't want kids then, we couldn't foresee wanting them later.

That said, I don't know that frozen eggs store very well. I think frozen embryos have a much better/longer shelf life. But if we didn't want kids back then, we definitely wouldn't have created frozen embryos just to store for a rainy day.

Comment

Working...
                  X