Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45-60 minute commute to the office depending on the time; some early starts, some later.

Early days:
    5:45 wake up / shower / other bathroom activities
    6:15 head in
    7:00 first patient

Late days:
    5:45 alarm, pretend I'm going to get up to work out, hit snooze
    6:45 actually wake up / shower / other bathroom activities
    7:15 head in
    8:15 catch up on charting, results, etc
    9:00 first patient

Comment

Click to expand…

Good for you. My poor dad strung so many rackets for me.  We had a ~$300 machine but it went everywhere with us and paid itself off many times over.  He could do a racket in about 30 minutes.  It always took me closer to an hour and a half though (I was terrible).

Your son/daughter must be a good player or have a big topspin forehand.   At my peak (division 1 level) I was breaking a string every ~2 sets.  For cost and convenience for practice/”non important” matches I’d play with cheaper/more durable stuff, but the good stuff feels great but doesn’t last.

My wife played division I, she does not recall how often they restrung at all. Couldnt have been often Im guessing.

Comment

I walk dogs for 10-15 minutes before leaving for work.

Why don't you take them on your run?

Comment

I walk dogs for 10-15 minutes before leaving for work. 
          Click to expand…

Why don’t you take them on your run?

In the past, I ran with a dog, and

1. She stopped frequently

2. She pulled a lot, injuring my shoulder

3. She developed early arthritis

4. It’s a drag for the other guys in the group.

5. Running with 2 dogs is 1 and 1/2 dogs too many.

Comment

I couldn't help but reply to this post. First blog post ever, long time WCI follower.

4:36 alarm

4:45 out of bed...9 minutes later actually feels like I slept in

4:50 - 6:15 work out in small, but efficient, workout room in the basement (makes it so much easier than having to drive myself to the gym in the mornings)

6:15 - 7:00 shower and eat breakfast

7:00 - 7:25 leave the house, drop the 2 oldest kids off at high school

7:30 - at work and prepping for first patient at 0800

I have worked out for years. I have done it at all times of day, early, middle and late, depending on life circumstances/job requirements. I love working out first thing in the morning. As I walk down the hall to see my first few patients and have some residual soreness in my aging muscles - I feel like I have won. No matter what happens that day, whether a patient shows up late, I fight my EMR, I run behind, or admin rolls out more red tape, I know I have done something for me and I am better for it.  I am a better doc, husband and father when I am healthy in both mind and body. I have always lived by trying to be an example for my patients. I think it would be hard to discuss exercise and nutrition with them, as I often do, if I don't look like someone who knows a little something about it.

I read about docs waiting until retirement to get into shape. I plan on heading into retirement in the best shape of my life.

Comment

My schedule changes basically every day.  I can't really fathom what it's like to be able to be so precise.

Even with kids in daycare and school the schedule changes daily based on my ER clinical schedule (Did I work overnight?  Did I work an "evening" shift and get home to bed at 2am?), whether my wife is working (she's part time), whether the elementary school kid has his before school activity that starts early so needs drop off instead of taking bus, did a kid wake up at 3am, did the toddler start crying at 545am, etc.

My breakfast is basically the only constant (except post-overnights when I don't have a regular breakfast) -- a protein shake (10 oz lactose free 2% milk and chocolate protein powder from Costco).

Also parenting hack for you all: we put the baby monitor for kid #3 on a timer, turns on at 6am.  Now we don't hear him anymore if he wakes up too early.   That was a huge mental leap to do but has given us some sanity -- he was not sleeping through the night and it kept waking us up and then it was always the debate about whether to go in there, wait, etc, then can't fall back asleep.  If he's sick we leave the monitor on -- we're not heartless.
              An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
              www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

baby monitor for kid #3 on a timer, turns on at 6am.  Now we don’t hear him anymore if he wakes up too early.   That was a huge mental leap to do but has given us some sanity — he was not sleeping through the night and it kept waking us up and then it was always the debate about whether to go in there, wait, etc, then can’t fall back asleep.  If he’s sick we leave the monitor on — we’re not heartless.

What an awesome idea.  I have wished for a monitor that would only put noise through after an adjustable amount of time like 5-10 minutes or whatever but that is genius.

Comment

Also parenting hack for you all: we put the baby monitor for kid #3 on a timer, turns on at 6am.  Now we don’t hear him anymore if he wakes up too early. That was a huge mental leap to do but has given us some sanity — he was not sleeping through the night and it kept waking us up and then it was always the debate about whether to go in there, wait, etc, then can’t fall back asleep.  If he’s sick we leave the monitor on — we’re not heartless.

This is pretty brilliant.

Comment

Morning routine?

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

Comment

2. She pulled a lot, injuring my shoulder

ouch... sorry to hear it. I run with my dog off leash (she's very well behaved) so I only have to worry about my knees, if she comes barreling through my friends and I.

Comment

My routine:

Alarm at 4:45, up by 4:54 or 5:03, depending on one snooze or two.

Brush teeth, get dressed, start the coffee

Exercise by 5:30 at latest to 6:30

Shower and leave house with kids by 7:10 to take to school/bus.

Rounds, admin rounds and office starts at 8:15.

If it is a surgery day, only thing that changes is that hubby takes kids and I leave by 6:50-7am for a 7:30 start.

Love to exercise and often too tired or just wanting to be with my kiddos to be motivated enough to do in the afternoon. It makes me feel good allay long. Usually get in 6-7 days a week... unless a bad call night occurs or I just need a rest day.

Comment

so many early birds here!

I typically wake up around 1030, play on my phone, read the news, check emails etc.  get out of bed around 11.  My fiance makes a spinach smoothie for me so i have that for breakfast while riding a stationary bike and watching tv.  I have a commercial leg press and a bench press so do a little of that.  shower around 130 and make it to work by 2

Comment

I couldn’t help but reply to this post. First blog post ever, long time WCI follower.

4:36 alarm

4:45 out of bed…9 minutes later actually feels like I slept in

4:50 – 6:15 work out in small, but efficient, workout room in the basement (makes it so much easier than having to drive myself to the gym in the mornings)

6:15 – 7:00 shower and eat breakfast

7:00 – 7:25 leave the house, drop the 2 oldest kids off at high school

7:30 – at work and prepping for first patient at 0800

I have worked out for years. I have done it at all times of day, early, middle and late, depending on life circumstances/job requirements. I love working out first thing in the morning. As I walk down the hall to see my first few patients and have some residual soreness in my aging muscles – I feel like I have won. No matter what happens that day, whether a patient shows up late, I fight my EMR, I run behind, or admin rolls out more red tape, I know I have done something for me and I am better for it.  I am a better doc, husband and father when I am healthy in both mind and body. I have always lived by trying to be an example for my patients. I think it would be hard to discuss exercise and nutrition with them, as I often do, if I don’t look like someone who knows a little something about it.

I read about docs waiting until retirement to get into shape. I plan on heading into retirement in the best shape of my life.

I've always had the same mindset as you have. Great post.

There's something amazing about physically struggling and exerting yourself early in the morning... it makes the rest of the mundane and stressful crap you deal with at work not seem so bad. The DOMS makes me feel more alive.

Anyways, this thread has been very interesting.

Comment

Alarm goes off at 6:30am, hit snooze, goes off again at 6:38, hit snooze, goes off again at 6:46, turn off alarm. Quick shower, brush teeth, get dressed, grab my Greek yogurt, blueberries, and diet Pepsi, and head to work. get there around 7:10am (2 minute drive), and start seeing patients
                              Click to expand…

Dude, there must be something you can transition to from diet pepsi.
                              Click to expand…

I have met a few of the diet Pepsi fanatics in my days.  You cannot convince these people.  Do not try.   
                              Click to expand…

It’s true, diet Pepsi is my crack, I would need serious and lengthy rehab to even consider quitting!

diet pepsi was my crack too !

But then I married a dentist and she told me it was eroding my enamel and cut it to one per week, which I have to drink with a straw ! That was hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X