Announcement

Collapse

WCI Course Sale!

Fire Your Financial Advisor and Continuing Financial Education 2020 are on sale now through midnight MDT on July 13, 2020. Purchase either at 10% off and also get CFE2018, the Park City conference course, for FREE!
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/FYFASale
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/CFESale
See more
See less

Medical Convention Cancels on San Francisco Because Its Streets Are So Distressi

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A prior posting on this message board asked how we decide where to get our news from.  A news site that doesn’t name the supposed large medical organization that it’s writing the story about is getting crossed off my list.   I can understand not naming a minor or an innocent person,  but a large organization?    I and a number of other  large organizations that-shall-not-be-named find this to be complete pointlessness.

It's the City of San Francisco's convention bureau that's not willing to release the name of the organization in question to the press, because they're hoping to find a way to woo it back in the future.  When they noticed the organization hadn't booked anything after 2023, they flew out to Chicago to talk to the organization's board members, and were told the bad news then:  https://www.pressreader.com/usa/san-francisco-chronicle/20180702/282020443039963

Comment

The American Anesthesiology Society seems to fit the bill:
      - Based in Chicago
      - Scheduled in SF this year
      - Five days
      - ~15k attendees

Don't see any other clear candidates from the sleuthing I did.

Comment

I think you may have solved the mystery, Lithium!

Comment

I love San Francisco. Plenty of culture, easy transport. Close to wine country. Wonderful to visit, hear its tough to live in.

We have tons of crime in New Orleans but aren't hurting for visitors or conventions. More to the story.

Comment

Anyone who thinks SF is too "sketchy" is probably not very well traveled.  I've spent a lot of time there in the past (it's one of my favorites), but I was just there in March and other than the usual homeless crowd, I didn't find it any more distressing then any other major US city.  My guess is the convention caters to a crowd that normally hangs out in gated suburban communities and the cheesecake factories down the street from them.  Real cities can seem dirty and distressing if you're coming from a bubble.

Comment

I enjoyed the cool weather. 
              Click to expand…

When I went there in the late 80s (in July) it was 103 degrees in the afternoon and we were chilly in long sleeves and sweaters that evening.
              Click to expand…

I had no idea it could get that warm there! I was there in May and weather was perfect!

It's certainly not the norm.  It's typically 60-75 day and 40-55 at night year round.  Of course, as with all weather, anything can happen from time to time.

Comment

I was there for the APA as well (and stayed in the nasty hostel), I think in 2013.  They are supposed to go back in 2019, and their annual attendance is about 15,000.  They aren’t based in Chicago though.  The APA only rotates among about 6 sites, so it would be a big deal for them to take out SF.
                Click to expand…

I thought 2019 was Hawaii? Or is that 2020?
                Click to expand…

I had thought Honolulu was next year but when I checked the APA site it is 2021.  Next two locations are SF and Philly.
                Click to expand…

What??? I feel certain that was a recent change because I know HI was supposed to be in the next year or two and I remember nothing about Philly. I wonder why the change? I went to Philly in 2012 I think and got totally lost there ( after my friend and your colleague ditched me to go to NYC). I have mixed feelings about going back there again.
                Click to expand…

Good question.  It would probably take a trip to Hawaii for me to go back (though I’m not sure my employer would even cover it).  I’m kind of bummed that it got moved, but I’m sure by 2021 it will be pretty fresh.  I went to SF, then NYC the next year, and about half of the lectures appeared to be recycled.

Agreed on the recycled lectures.  Went to HI for AAGP this year, totally recommended but maxed out the hospital reimbursement hah.

Comment

– Based in Chicago
                  – Scheduled in SF this year
                  – Five days
                  – ~15k attendees

Don’t see any other clear candidates from the sleuthing I did.

The ASA sent out its members an email talking about many different topics.  One of those includes the upcoming ASA meeting in San Francisco and in their blurb they deny being the medical association cited in the article.

Comment

Now I'm curious which medical association it is now that the ASA has denied it.

Comment

Anyone who thinks SF is too “sketchy” is probably not very well traveled.  I’ve spent a lot of time there in the past (it’s one of my favorites), but I was just there in March and other than the usual homeless crowd, I didn’t find it any more distressing then any other major US city.  My guess is the convention caters to a crowd that normally hangs out in gated suburban communities and the cheesecake factories down the street from them.  Real cities can seem dirty and distressing if you’re coming from a bubble.

Count me among the not well traveled.

Are you suggesting that every major city has many miles of the inner core littered with human waste, used syringes and homeless addicts injecting at mass transit stations, and that these problems are similar in degree to San Francisco?

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Diseased-Streets-472430013.html

If that is what I have to look forward to when travelling to major cities, I think I will stick to camping, hiking and exploring the natural wonders of this beautiful country. The only poop I find in Yellowstone is the buffaloes'.  

Comment

Anyone who thinks SF is too “sketchy” is probably not very well traveled.  I’ve spent a lot of time there in the past (it’s one of my favorites), but I was just there in March and other than the usual homeless crowd, I didn’t find it any more distressing then any other major US city.  My guess is the convention caters to a crowd that normally hangs out in gated suburban communities and the cheesecake factories down the street from them.  Real cities can seem dirty and distressing if you’re coming from a bubble.
                        Click to expand…

Count me among the not well traveled.

Are you suggesting that every major city has many miles of the inner core littered with human waste, used syringes and homeless addicts injecting at mass transit stations, and that these problems are similar in degree to San Francisco?

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Diseased-Streets-472430013.html

If that is what I have to look forward to when travelling to major cities, I think I will stick to camping, hiking and exploring the natural wonders of this beautiful country. The only poop I find in Yellowstone is the buffaloes’.  ?

That's just what you think!

Comment

– Based in Chicago
                          – Scheduled in SF this year
                          – Five days
                          – ~15k attendees

Don’t see any other clear candidates from the sleuthing I did.

Could also be the AAD

- Based in Illinois

- Don't know where their meetings are planned (I'm not a member of the AAD) but I have friends in the AAD who have gone to SF for meetings in years past

- Also a 5 day conference

- A quick Google search reveals their last conference had 15000+ attendees

Comment

No conference in SF for the AAD this year.

I'm starting to think either the ASA is lying or the tourism board is making this up to light a fire under city leaders.

Comment

Anyone who thinks SF is too “sketchy” is probably not very well traveled.

On the contrary, I am very well traveled (both domestically and internationally).  And I find San Francisco sketchy.  Very few large cities have such an obvious issue with street people and addicts.  As a single woman, I don’t feel safe walking around there, especially after dark.

Comment

I’m not close to the world traveler others here likely are, but the VISIBILITY of the homeless problem seems way worse in SF than other places in the US.

I’ve been to a lot of major and mid size US cities and it seemed far worse in SF than others places (been twice in past few years).

I still enjoyed the city and the last time my wife did go around a little by herself with our infant while I was at a conference and hasn’t no issues.
                                An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
                                www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

Working...
                                X