Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Convention Cancels on San Francisco Because Its Streets Are So Distressi

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another article I read said it was a Chicago-based organization.

The AMA is in Chicago.
    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Click to expand…

The AMA is in Chicago.

Thought of that.  But I don't think they do a semi-annual conference.  American College of Surgeons is in Chicago, but they only do an annual conference.  The plot thickens...

Comment

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I was in SF for APA a few years ago and loved it! I wouldn't pay 2M to live there but I'd definitely go back again to visit. Never seemed unsafe to me and I enjoyed the cool weather.

Comment

I enjoyed the cool weather.

When I went there in the late 80s (in July) it was 103 degrees in the afternoon and we were chilly in long sleeves and sweaters that evening.

Comment

I was there for the APA as well (and stayed in the nasty hostel), I think in 2013.  They are supposed to go back in 2019, and their annual attendance is about 15,000.  They aren't based in Chicago though.  The APA only rotates among about 6 sites, so it would be a big deal for them to take out SF.

Comment

I enjoyed the cool weather. 
                Click to expand…

When I went there in the late 80s (in July) it was 103 degrees in the afternoon and we were chilly in long sleeves and sweaters that evening.

I had no idea it could get that warm there! I was there in May and weather was perfect!

Comment

I was there for the APA as well (and stayed in the nasty hostel), I think in 2013.  They are supposed to go back in 2019, and their annual attendance is about 15,000.  They aren’t based in Chicago though.  The APA only rotates among about 6 sites, so it would be a big deal for them to take out SF.

I thought 2019 was Hawaii? Or is that 2020?

Comment

I was there for the APA as well (and stayed in the nasty hostel), I think in 2013.  They are supposed to go back in 2019, and their annual attendance is about 15,000.  They aren’t based in Chicago though.

Interesting:  the articles I have read say the organization in question is booked in SF in 2019, but won't be returning after that.  I wonder if the Chicago thing is a red herring?

Comment

I was there for the APA as well (and stayed in the nasty hostel), I think in 2013.  They are supposed to go back in 2019, and their annual attendance is about 15,000.  They aren’t based in Chicago though.  The APA only rotates among about 6 sites, so it would be a big deal for them to take out SF.
                      Click to expand…

I had thought Honolulu was next year but when I checked the APA site it is 2021.  Next two locations are SF and Philly.

Comment

American Society of Hematology fits the bill other than the Chicago headquarters. It rotates between 5 cities and it was last in SF in 2014 and SF should be up again in 2019.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I had thought Honolulu was next year but when I checked the APA site it is 2021.  Next two locations are SF and Philly.

What??? I feel certain that was a recent change because I know HI was supposed to be in the next year or two and I remember nothing about Philly. I wonder why the change? I went to Philly in 2012 I think and got totally lost there ( after my friend and your colleague ditched me to go to NYC). I have mixed feelings about going back there again.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

What??? I feel certain that was a recent change because I know HI was supposed to be in the next year or two and I remember nothing about Philly. I wonder why the change? I went to Philly in 2012 I think and got totally lost there ( after my friend and your colleague ditched me to go to NYC). I have mixed feelings about going back there again.

Good question.  It would probably take a trip to Hawaii for me to go back (though I'm not sure my employer would even cover it).  I'm kind of bummed that it got moved, but I'm sure by 2021 it will be pretty fresh.  I went to SF, then NYC the next year, and about half of the lectures appeared to be recycled.

Comment

A prior posting on this message board asked how we decide where to get our news from.  A news site that doesn't name the supposed large medical organization that it's writing the story about is getting crossed off my list.   I can understand not naming a minor or an innocent person,  but a large organization?   You can just start making up any news story you want then.   I and a number of other large organizations that-shall-not-be-named find this to be complete pointlessness.

Comment

I just did some more poking around on the web; most of the articles I read did say the organization in question is Chicago-based.  They also said the organization had a convention scheduled in SF for later this year and for 2023, not 2019.  Does that narrow things down any?

Comment

Working...
                                X