Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim
    replied
    Both plaintiffs and defendants need “expert witnesses “.
    I just wish there was a way to have accurate impartial opinions.
    If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    I have a patient who is a well known ambulance chaser in our area (his own words).  We joke that at least there is one lawyer who will not sue me.  Unless he is the plaintiff...

Leave a comment:

• FunkDoc83
    replied

Why would that be awkward? Do you think there is no such thing as malpractice? If anything I think it is more rampant than pursued nowadays.

Probably just my own biases.  I think med mal practice attorneys might be looked down upon in our profession.  And yes, of course legitimate malpractice occurs.  But how about all of the other cases where docs are sued who have done nothing wrong and have to spend years of their lives dealing with it?

Leave a comment:

• Panscan
    replied
    Why would that be awkward? Do you think there is no such thing as malpractice? If anything I think it is more rampant than pursued nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• FunkDoc83
    replied

I also have a good friend who is one of the leading med mal plaintiff attorneys in our city. I do some minor case review work for him, but he has been an outstanding resource for issues that have come up in our practice and for me personally.

Vagabond am I reading this correctly?  You have a good friend who sues docs and hospitals etc.?  Is that a little awkward at times?

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied
    Seems like a lot of people are throwing assumptions out, but not been my unfortunate personal experience. There are indeed career people that make a living doing it, and you are pretty much getting paid to argue the side of the "team" you've signed up for.

That's how you're literally paid, it's what the incentives are, it's just fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Always keep it in mind. I dont know why anyone would want to do this work, either side, or will be stressful and being on the stand is awful.

The person they had for causation in my case wasnt even in the appropriate field of medicine (might not have been able to find one) and was a straight up company man and an idiot. A lot is just personality and optics and how good or bad each lawyer is.

From what I've seen, lawyers get who they can and docs under charge. You will get asked pay rates, how many you do, etc...

Leave a comment:

• WCInovice
    replied
    Bumping this thread....

Can anyone share the rates they are charging for their services?

I was solicited (actually took the call on accident) but seemed like a case I could give reasonable insight on.

Not sure what type of fee schedule I should ask for. I know some of the basics - ie get some money up front, etc - but I'm looking for ball park rates.

EDIT.

Sorry, saw some figures above that were helpful.

I'm willing to issue a written statement or look at the case, not willing to testify.  That may be a deal breaker but I have too busy of a practice to deal with actual testifying.

Leave a comment:

• ReFinDoc
    replied
    How about starting here? https://www.seak.com/expert-witness-resources/

SEAK also has resources for marketing your practice.

My takeaways from the seminar:

Be upfront with your fees, no one expects you to work for free.

Admit the obvious, you are being paid to be there. Don't fight with the attorney about trivial matters. You will look obstructionist and waste time.

Don't answer a question where any part of it is wrong or a mis-characterization.

Tell a story. Have a narrative. Make comparisons.

If you have a skeleton in your past, be upfront with it.

The facilitator, James J. Mangraviti, offers a consulting service.

A small touch of humor can be appropriate.

Call up a local attorney and offer your services. Everyone had a first time.

Think of witnessing as a sideline.

How not to answer questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emsLrZg160s

Leave a comment:

• I Find This Humerus
    replied

Does anyone know of a doc who has made a lot of money at this without a title/academic credentials?

I think it’s quite a bit harder to really make money at this unless you are in academics.

The people I know who have really done well are all high up in major quaternary centers.
    Click to expand…

Yes, my dad. He’s EM, not academics. I don’t know exactly how much has had made with it, but he typically does a couple of cases per year. And even more cases that he reviews (and bills per hour of course), gives his opinion for the law firm that the firm then chooses not to pursue.

My impression from talking to him is that experts develop a reputation among lawyers and judges, and someone who can explain things well to jurors without getting flustered under pressure or being condescending will easily find more work

But how did he start? How did he get his foot in the door?

Leave a comment:

• WealthyDoc
    replied

Register on seak website. I’ve done 5 cases so far which has been a small part of my consulting. Stay within your area of expertise. You’re not paid to say what the retaining counsel wants you to say. You are paid to give an honest expert opinion based on the records provided and that might also mean going against their opinion. Highly recommend their conferences.. it’s an good investment if you’re motivated to get into this work!
    Click to expand…

What is seak website?

I think this is a good place to start.  But I suppose I'm a bit biased.  

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/a-side-hustle-to-consider-medicolegal-or-insurance-consulting/

Leave a comment:

• LizOB
    replied

Does anyone know of a doc who has made a lot of money at this without a title/academic credentials?

I think it’s quite a bit harder to really make money at this unless you are in academics.

The people I know who have really done well are all high up in major quaternary centers.

Yes, my dad. He's EM, not academics. I don't know exactly how much has had made with it, but he typically does a couple of cases per year. And even more cases that he reviews (and bills per hour of course), gives his opinion for the law firm that the firm then chooses not to pursue.

My impression from talking to him is that experts develop a reputation among lawyers and judges, and someone who can explain things well to jurors without getting flustered under pressure or being condescending will easily find more work

Leave a comment:

• I Find This Humerus
    replied

I own a practice that is involved in some medicolegal consulting.  I have to say largely it is not easy money and depends on your patience for lawyers.

Care to elaborate? Not necessarily looking for "easy money" but "different money." PM me if needed please.

Leave a comment:

• nwdpath
    replied
    I own a practice that is involved in some medicolegal consulting.  I have to say largely it is not easy money and depends on your patience for lawyers.

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied

I have a very jaded view on this subject.  If you are going to do expert witness work for plaintiff attorneys you better be prepared to be grilled on the witness stand as if you were on trial.  You better be able to communicate your findings to average IQ jurors in a non-condescending manner.  Be prepared to tell the jury exactly what you were paid and how much you have made as an expert in your career.  You cannot say my wife does my taxes so I don’t know.  You also should be prepared to state how many of the procedures in question have you yourself performed in your career and in the last year.  Oh do not accept any cases in your referral area.
    Click to expand…

What about if I only want to do defense cases?
    Click to expand…

From what more senior people have told me you can’t really do this for very long. If you get a rep as being a bag man for defense attorneys then the first question you get on the stand is supposed to be “how many cases have you done?”

“ok and how many times have you testified against another doctor?”

I’ve actually been fairly edified what little work I’ve done in this space by how much it seems that the attorneys I’ve worked with really want you to tell the truth. Lawyers talk in absolutes and want specific timelines and often you just aren’t able to give them exactly what they want and that’s the end of it.

Click to expand…

So it’s a bad thing if you have a lot of cases? Seems counterintuitive.

Not necessarily. My understanding is that it's a bad thing if you only do work for one side, makes it seem like you have an agenda.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    I would shift between being a defense witness for docs and a prosecution witness against independently practicing mid-levels.  Only I might do the latter for free  :lol: .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X