Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody actually had an experience where cameras have helped them in any real way? Or is it all for peace of mind? Serious question. Looking for a NNT.

When when I was a resident we lived in a not so nice city. Since my wife was home a lot she wanted the security system. the darn thing only went off because of the dog and the wind. It caused dozens of false alarms over theyears and did not prevent one actual event as far as I know. But it made my wife feel better so it was worth it in the end.

Comment

We did wired cameras in our recent renovation - which is one thing we regret. The interface is hard to use, and they don't work when the power is down. I use it mostly to check on the dogs when we are away. Could have done that so much cheaper. We did just put a Ring on the front doorbell and I like it. We get a lot of amazon packages, hellofresh, etc. and it's nice to know when they show up. I wish I had done ring cameras everywhere since they can all tie together, and the phone app is easy to use. Downside of battery cameras is that they need to be recharged every now and then, but upside is they don't ever stop recording in power loss. We don't have an alarm system since I work from home and the house is rarely empty more than an evening. Our old house had one (wired to an outlet and had a battery backup) and the best feature I ever added to it was an exterior siren - every time it went off, not only would i get calls from the alarm company, but neighbors would be looking out their windows and calling me too to let me know what was going on. I figured the commotion would scare off a thief if it ever happened. So that part i would recommend. If I ever start working outside the house again we may go back to something like that.

Our new house, which was built by a doctor in the 1970's, had a really intense, outdated alarm system. There were wired sensors on every door, window, etc., a panic button in the master closet, and even a sensor inside the box where the phone wiring comes into the house outside. There were at least 3-5 keypads throughout the house as well. It was all old tech and no longer working, so we abandoned it all. Would have been nice to keep and update but wasn't compatible with any newer systems, and we didn't really want to waste money on monthly monitoring anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
        Has anybody actually had an experience where cameras have helped them in any real way? Or is it all for peace of mind? Serious question. Looking for a NNT.
        Neighbor has cameras all over. A couple years ago in the middle of the day, there was somebody at his front door and then at the side of the house. He called cops and they were found elsewhere in the neighborhood with a trunk full of stolen property in the car; they were probably scoping out houses to hit. It would seem that he uses cameras mostly for knowing when a package is delivered or whom to thank for snowblowing his driveway while he is out of town.

Comment

When when I was a resident we lived in a not so nice city. Since my wife was home a lot she wanted the security system. the darn thing only went off because of the dog and the wind. It caused dozens of false alarms over theyears and did not prevent one actual event as far as I know. But it made my wife feel better so it was worth it in the end.
          i think cameras are a complete gimmick when it comes to property crime, sold to make owner feel better. great so you have a hi-def 4k video of a nondescript male with their face covered. like i said i'm sure the NYPD will put out an All Police Bulletin.

as others have said the best deterrent probably is a large dog. bonus b/c dogs are awesome.

i knew a guy who worked 20-25 nights in the ED/mo. he had a massive german shepard. i asked him how he chose the breed and he shrugged and said "i'm not home at night."

home invasions are 99.99% petty crime BS. i mean i guess it's different if you have a stalker or something but usually they are smash and grabs. if the robber hears barking he's probably going to go somewhere else.

i'd like to see data on what is going on with home theft nowadays. i mean how good can the market be? you can go to Costco and get a flat screen for $150. what are they taking that has actual resale value? guns maybe? but electronics? we throw away our electronics nowadays. we had a home invasion a few years ago. they stole my tablet and laptop. the FMV of the two together was probably around $1000, probably less. go to craiglist and look up used computers, you can't give them away.

if i wanted to start a profitable life of crime i would sell opiates.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

i think cameras are a complete gimmick when it comes to property crime, sold to make owner feel better. great so you have a hi-def 4k video of a nondescript male with their face covered. like i said i'm sure the NYPD will put out an All Police Bulletin.

as others have said the best deterrent probably is a large dog. bonus b/c dogs are awesome.

i knew a guy who worked 20-25 nights in the ED/mo. he had a massive german shepard. i asked him how he chose the breed and he shrugged and said "i'm not home at night."

home invasions are 99.99% petty crime BS. i mean i guess it's different if you have a stalker or something but usually they are smash and grabs. if the robber hears barking he's probably going to go somewhere else.

i'd like to see data on what is going on with home theft nowadays. i mean how good can the market be? you can go to Costco and get a flat screen for $150. what are they taking that has actual resale value? guns maybe? but electronics? we throw away our electronics nowadays. we had a home invasion a few years ago. they stole my tablet and laptop. the FMV of the two together was probably around $1000, probably less. go to craiglist and look up used computers, you can't give them away.

if i wanted to start a profitable life of crime i would sell opiates.
            "It takes a thief" is the tv series. They grab petty cash, jewelry, guns, car. Yeah, they'd probably pull meds. Out in less than 5 min

I found out recently that there are generally only two sheriff's deputies patrolling in my county at any given time. My county is in top 40 of the biggest by area in the US. I don't know if that counts the speed trap usually set up a couple miles down the road. Anyway, it would be a stroke of luck if they were around to respond in 5 min.... Better would be the elderly neighbors nosing around because of the alarm going off; this is the kind of neighborhood where unidentified cars are noticed.

Comment

Hikvision 4meg day/night color cameras, 8TB NVR, 8 channel recorder and camera to hdmi converter (to watch cameras on upstairs TV).

This system, for parts, will cost you around $2k. Everything is hardwired. Expect local installer cost you around $1k to run everything.

Cameras are powered over ethernet, so no batteries. The NVR gives you about 30 days of recording. Can watch the cameras on your main TV or on your cell phone. Also, using wireless cameras will eat your available Wireless bandwidth significantly as they are constantly streaming to your NVR. Now ad in multiple cell phones, laptops, iPads and other devices and your home network will be atrociously slow.

In addition, we have a standard home security system that has motion sensors, glass breaking sensors, Etc. This is monitored locally via local company for about $30 per month with cell phone access and alerts.

we actually live in a small gated community, the gates are closed at night. During the day the gates are open for local deliveries and traffic. However we did convince the HOA recently and we have Nest cameras at each Gate entrance therefore we have a track of all the cars and license plates in and out of the neighborhood. Lots of neighbors have ring doorbells or Nest doorbells and some have cameras. Anytime there is anything suspicious WE Post in our Facebook group and people go on their camera systems to track the vehicle
              Last edited by ACN; 03-26-2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I just installed a nest security system and doorbell. We bought a new house and the nest smoke detectors and thermostats were already hardwired in. The door sensors are also motion detectors. They don’t have glass break, but make the point that with enough motion detectors, you don’t really need that (which makes sense to me). I spent somewhere between 500-600 and it costs $24/mo to have brinks monitor it and record the camera for 5 days. It’s still pretty new, but I like it. It’s very user friendly and my wife is fairly anti-tech, but it’s simple so she likes it. We considered ADT, etc, but the contracts and prices seemed crazy. If we didn’t already have all the nest stuff, I may have gone Simplisafe.

Comment

We've had a Ring doorbell for 2 years now and I will never live without one again. It gives me a lot of piece of mind when I'm home alone and I worry less about packages now. Great for meeting service people too. The alerts on my phone are also helpful when a child decides to make a run for it. Until showings stopped, I was using it to see what prospective buyers say while entering/leaving my house . You'd be surprised--it can be really helpful in knowing if someone truly has any interest or if they are just casual looky loos.

I'd like to have the motion sensing camera on every entry/window in the new house where 2nd story window/balconies/small children are going to come into play.

It's also fun to rename the system for notifications. Gotta get my kicks somehow.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MSooner View Post

We've had a Ring doorbell for 2 years now and I will never live without one again. It gives me a lot of piece of mind when I'm home alone and I worry less about packages now. Great for meeting service people too. The alerts on my phone are also helpful when a child decides to make a run for it. Until showings stopped, I was using it to see what prospective buyers say while entering/leaving my house . You'd be surprised--it can be really helpful in knowing if someone truly has any interest or if they are just casual looky loos.

I'd like to have the motion sensing camera on every entry/window in the new house where 2nd story window/balconies/small children are going to come into play.

It's also fun to rename the system for notifications. Gotta get my kicks somehow.
                    My current house came with a ring doorbell. It was fun to play with it first but the motion sensor was driving me crazy. I decrease the sensitivity which helped but still it went off a couple times a day for no good reason while I was at work. So I said it to just go off if somebody rings the doorbell but even that was happening too often with deliveries and whatnot. So I planned to remove it but my wife wanted to keep it so I registered it to her phone and she went through the same process I did and has since turned off notifications.

You don't hide a microphone in the kitchen of your home? I thought everybody did that.

Comment

My current house came with a ring doorbell. It was fun to play with it first but the motion sensor was driving me crazy. I decrease the sensitivity which helped but still it went off a couple times a day for no good reason while I was at work. So I said it to just go off if somebody rings the doorbell but even that was happening too often with deliveries and whatnot. So I planned to remove it but my wife wanted to keep it so I registered it to her phone and she went through the same process I did and has since turned off notifications.

You don't hide a microphone in the kitchen of your home? I thought everybody did that.
                      Felt like that would have been pushing it a little too far, especially having just gone through this process as a buyer. Also some scary legalese in the paperwork we signed when we listed that makes it seem ill-advised.

Comment

Originally posted by MSooner View Post

Felt like that would have been pushing it a little too far, especially having just gone through this process as a buyer. Also some scary legalese in the paperwork we signed when we listed that makes it seem ill-advised.
                        I'm just messing with you. however when we were looking at homes I convince my wife that people did this and that we should not talk about the home in the home but wait until we get back in our car. It was quite amusing. I'm sure I real estate agent thought we were interesting. But you know what? I did not trust the real estate agent any farther than I can throw her either.

Comment

I'm just messing with you. however when we were looking at homes I convince my wife that people did this and that we should not talk about the home in the home but wait until we get back in our car. It was quite amusing. I'm sure I real estate agent thought we were interesting. But you know what? I did not trust the real estate agent any farther than I can throw her either.
                          Nope, I totally considered it for a minute. Baby monitors would be a great way!

Comment

The best alarm system is one that is a visible deterrent. It's the opposite of stealth wealth.

If a professional thief is determined to break in, you'll be hard pressed to find any effective system to prevent/mitigate the loss.

It's the casual thief and opportunity to deter. The best we've consistently found is the motion detecting flood light.. We used that with SimpliSafe in the past and found to be quite effective.

Last year we moved over to Ring Light Camera that's mounted up high in front of door that turns on light, records, wired and highly visible. Has been very useful -- for us and all the delivery folk

This winter we moved from SimpliSafe to the Ring Alarm and the integrated nicely into a single platform.

Comment

Currently, my plan to secure the house is a combination of old school and new school. It already has high quality full impact windows and doors, so breaking glass or directly breaking down any door or window is pretty difficult to start. I plan on some strategic window frosting/film in a couple areas to reduce visibility, and some specific window treatments to obscure inside views. Locks are overall traditional and decent. Some blocking devices for sliding window tracts to prevent prying. Will do some automatic timed lighting inside, and motion activated lights outside.

I’d like to get door and window sensors and motion detection in the house monitored by a company for when we are away to cover lock picking. Big security company sign in the front and at the side gate and company stickers on windows and doors for deterrence.

I’d like a doorbell camera for random “visitors” to check in with, and to check on deliveries. Along with general coverage by cameras in the front, back, and sides of the house. Also a few dummy cameras placed for emphasis and distraction. I’d use these for deterrence and to monitor creepers.

I like dogs, but my life isn’t compatible with one at this time unfortunately.

I’m willing to invest a fair amount of effort and cash into the overall project. It certainly is annoying that there are so many choices and incompatible products.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post
                                Currently, my plan to secure the house is a combination of old school and new school. It already has high quality full impact windows and doors, so breaking glass or directly breaking down any door or window is pretty difficult to start. I plan on some strategic window frosting/film in a couple areas to reduce visibility, and some specific window treatments to obscure inside views. Locks are overall traditional and decent. Some blocking devices for sliding window tracts to prevent prying. Will do some automatic timed lighting inside, and motion activated lights outside.

I’d like to get door and window sensors and motion detection in the house monitored by a company for when we are away to cover lock picking. Big security company sign in the front and at the side gate and company stickers on windows and doors for deterrence.

I’d like a doorbell camera for random “visitors” to check in with, and to check on deliveries. Along with general coverage by cameras in the front, back, and sides of the house. Also a few dummy cameras placed for emphasis and distraction. I’d use these for deterrence and to monitor creepers.

I like dogs, but my life isn’t compatible with one at this time unfortunately.

I’m willing to invest a fair amount of effort and cash into the overall project. It certainly is annoying that there are so many choices and incompatible products.

This sounds too expensive for me.
                                I have 2 ring floodlight cameras, 3 Arlos, 2 PIR floodlights.

The PIR floodlights are actually the best value for money. Then the Nest smoke alarms.

Cameras I‘m not sure do much other than make you feel safer.

Comment

Working...
                                X