Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaqen Haghar MD
    replied
    I honestly don’t think that was the real “Cyber Truck”, but was rather a sort of practical joke or publicity stunt by Musk, that has now morphed into an “emperor’s new clothes” situation.

I guess only time will tell.

In the meantime, “What a lovely truck that is.”

Leave a comment:

• Nysoz
    replied
    I’ve seen photoshop renderings of a painted CT. One in white made it look very futuristic in a good way and not futuristic in a dystopian future.

the rivian does look nice but it’s for a different population. It’ll be like the Porsche taycan of the truck world.

Leave a comment:

• BCBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

I dont doubt depending on how the product comes out to be in final there will be some serious interest, I just dont think its going to take well in those areas that are more work vehicle related/corporate which is a huge market for trucks currently. They might have viewed it hoping for something more traditional, but it wasnt.

The rivian is more classical in design and will also have good numbers.
    I think Rivian will be popular too but they have to overcome all of the challenges that Tesla has already gone through in taking product to market. Rivian has much less mature technology to work with and no experience. The work vehicle/corporate crowd may or may not be price sensitive but if they are, the Tesla will be the better option, dollars per spec compared to Rivian.

For edgy businesses, putting a bright logo wrap on the CT will be a brand alignment statement that will work for many businesses. Maybe there will be some tricks to tone it down for the more conservative clients like matte colors. The CT might just become so normal that this will be a non-issue in 3-5 years.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied
    Originally posted by BCBiker View Post

There was a story on the viewership of the Cybertruck livestream and the viewership was high in Montana , Kansas and other states not known for staying up until midnight to see Tesla events. I reassert that this product will be huge. It just addresses so many unmet needs.
    I dont doubt depending on how the product comes out to be in final there will be some serious interest, I just dont think its going to take well in those areas that are more work vehicle related/corporate which is a huge market for trucks currently. They might have viewed it hoping for something more traditional, but it wasnt.

The rivian is more classical in design and will also have good numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    commented on 's reply
    People currently just haul things on trucks because that’s all that is possible. Service trucks are built on 350 powered "pickup beds"
    The bells and whistles are added. Everything from a crane, welder, and compressor. These are customized to provide the mobility needed for construction sites or crews.
    My point is the capacity for the regular pickup will be insuffcient for extended use. I can buy a compressor that plugs in and fills a tire.
    This truck does not have the electric or pneumatics sufficient to power alot of tools for extended use. You are correct, the real estate in the truck bed is limited. That's why you buy a custom body to mount on the frame.
    Herding cattle? We drove the 1959 Ford down in the pasture and dropped someone off on foot or with a bridle to ride one of the horses. No need to saddle, hop on bareback and hope you didn't get thrown or needed to get into more than a walk. Cutting cattle bareback will ruin your future family life if your good enough to stay on. Herding cows is alot easier. Herding cats is vapor ware. An outlet is not capacity.

• BCBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

I'm not sure that actually means anything at the moment.

I know a few family members and friends who put down a whole $100 for it, but live in Silicon Valley and are as far away from the macho truck demographic as you can get. I'm fairly certain most (if not all) of them will not ultimately purchase the truck.
    There was a story on the viewership of the Cybertruck livestream and the viewership was high in Montana , Kansas and other states not known for staying up until midnight to see Tesla events. I reassert that this product will be huge. It just addresses so many unmet needs.

Leave a comment:

• xraygoggles
    replied

They arent any worse than SUVs/mpg wise and theyre actually pretty fast now a days. Remember, not only that they dont have to be fast, neither does any car, not a prerequisite of driving, just something we enjoy about them. Acceleration in an everyday or work truck makes no sense, not a useful feature for loads, etc...But still, you can get a stock f150 3.5L and simply tune it and it will go 0-60 in 4.3s which is ridiculous for a truck and unnecessary.

People worry about speed and acceleration too much, its not something you should mess with outside of the track and just invites dumb behavior most people dont know how to handle anyway.
    You're probably right about not needing a truck to be fast... but then, why do they offer that as a selling point?

Either this is just a novelty truck for techy bros (like some of my cousins), or the speed/acceleration is useful for people who would actually use a truck. Not sure which one is correct...

Leave a comment:

• xraygoggles
    replied
    Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
    So far close to 150k preorders with the refundable $100 deposit.
    I'm not sure that actually means anything at the moment.

I know a few family members and friends who put down a whole $100 for it, but live in Silicon Valley and are as far away from the macho truck demographic as you can get. I'm fairly certain most (if not all) of them will not ultimately purchase the truck.

Leave a comment:

• BCBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Are we crossing over to suggesting this is a power source for construction sites? I wasn’t aware that “pickups” were used for more than hauling compressors, generators and welding machines. That’s a world changer. Vapor ware most likely.
    All you need for a welder is 220 V outlet which the Cybertruck has. Air compressor just 120v with a tank to stored compressed air. The truck has tank built in for body lift adjustment. No reason why the tank for lift could not power typical pneumatic tools. In My father had truck with generator for welder and air compressor this purpose on the farm so could repair heavy equipment in fields because you cannot tow 15 ton combine harvester. This Tesla cybertruck is so perfect for so many things. The fact that compressor for Cybertruck is always connected to juice adds to convenience because with generator setup you want to minimize generator use so you fire up generator when tank gets low and turn it off until you deplete pressure which was a pain if you are up on top of equipment. Maybe there have been innovations recently but that was how it was 25 years ago.

People currently just haul things on trucks because that’s all that is possible. Having things built in just adds to the value. A compressor generator setup will be >$1000 and the take up half the bed and gets rained on and ruined. Not so with CT. And you cannot round up cattle with a compressor in your bed. The more I think about this, I want to repeat my childhood with a Cybertruck.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Are we crossing over to suggesting this is a power source for construction sites? I wasn’t aware that “pickups” were used for more than hauling compressors, generators and welding machines. That’s a world changer. Vapor ware most likely.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
    Time will tell how this will fit into the market. Work trucks may like it for the 120/240v outlets and pneumatic air.
    I don’t know anything about its pneumatic capability but I’d be surprised you could do much more than light duty stuff. Unless they’ve made huge strides in the compressor market that other current manufacturers haven’t. Even a pancake compressor can only do light duty stuff. You’d need a pretty large compressor if you’re wanting to start getting into heavier duty pneumatic tools.

Leave a comment:

• Nysoz
    replied
    So I’m in the camp of thinking the CT was so ridiculous that I may want one, especially for the stats. After reading more about it, it makes way more sense. It’s an engineering/manufacturing marvel in a way that takes function over fashion to the extreme. The strange look is structural with it being large sheets of stainless steel folded like origami that’s bolted together taking the rigidity from the frame to an exoskeleton. It’ll make manufacturing easier and cheaper.

The stats on it for the price of a work truck seem appealing but I’m not the population that needs a work truck so I’m not sure what they would need.

Most people complain about the sides of the bed not being able to reach over the side. Apparently most trucks it’s hard to do that now without stepping on the wheel. Anything heavy isn’t going over the side anyways. If you need something easily accessible, you can put any of that stuff in the frunk or side compartments.

Safety concerns without crumple zones I don’t have a good answer for yet but I’ve read that work trucks don’t need to meet certain pedestrian safety requirements. I want to see the safety tests before I would get one. Others say you can still design crumple zones with the CT. Tesla makes the safest cars around so I’m assuming they wouldn’t cheat or ignore safety requirements.

The windows breaking was cringe worthy but they did test it several times before pre show without it breaking. Possibly micro fractures through repeated stress.

Time will tell how this will fit into the market. Work trucks may like it for the 120/240v outlets and pneumatic air. You may be able to use the truck as a large power wall for the house. You can comfortably seat 5-6 and have a lot of storage which could go into the suv market. Looks aside, the stats for the price is hard to beat. So far close to 150k preorders with the refundable $100 deposit.
    Last edited by Nysoz; 11-24-2019, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    “The theme of reveal was macho/tough so no reason to talk safety to crowd they are trying to reach.”
    Probably the most important factor. What are the specific demographics and socioeconomic characteristics that this “truck” was being marketed for? Definitely a specific market segment this might have great success. It’s definitely designed for a niche, Tesla wisely didn’t reveal that. Ready, shoot, aim is a strategy that guarantees a bullseye every time. Right on target without fail!

My question is was the window breaking stunt planned? It certainly generated huge free exposure and made the launch an “event”. Check your pockets, do you have anything to throw at a truck window? Genius or idiot? I’ll let Tesla define the market segment and volumes.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied
    Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Most of the benefits of a luxury car are just social standing. I am sure there are actual tangible benefits as well but they are not worth the differential. So if someone wants luxury for the sake of just having the luxury then that is their choice. I just do not like the justification people use to "need" such things. These same people are not to shy to complain about how much everything costs and how little money they have.

i bought both my cars new. I could have saved 10-20k if I bought used instead but it is a luxury that I find I value spending my money on.
    Agree, but I like you and most on here are pretty in tune with and honest about the differences in what we actually need, and what we want or might appreciate at some certain value.

I don't know much about newer luxury vehicles as all cars seem to be really amazing for new ones now, but back in the day there were tangible differences that could be worth it to you or someone else. Certain climates make more sense for different vehicles too, I'm sure the most common car in Minnesota is a reflection of their difference in climate than say arizonas average car.

Leave a comment:

• BCBiker
    replied

Again I must not have been clear, the people that worry about crumple are US govt agencies, its literally illegal to have a vehicle that does not deform upon impact due to how deadly it is to whatever is struck and the occupants of the vehicle.

The cybertruck is very illegal in its advertised conformation, in many regards not just crumple. Odd that they took reservation money on a non producible representation really.
    I don’t think there is a car company more in tune with safety considering they have the three most safe vehicles in the world. The theme of reveal was macho/tough so no reason to talk safety to crowd they are trying to reach. I’m sure we will get updates on some crazy way they will make this the most safe pickup on market.

@cord
    I agree urban cowboy or cowboy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X