X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brains428 View Post

Any thoughts on the Hyundai, Kia or Subaru plug in electric vehicles?
    Yesterday I got notification that there was another free update to my Model3. I glanced at it this morning and There were in addition to better dash cam display, two very useful feature update. One was an option to disable the autolock feature at home. Many times I go to the garage in the night to pick up some stuff I left in the car but find the car locked and the key ( phone) is still in my bedroom. So I have to trudge back to pick up the phone and head back to the garage. This feature will help me avoid it.

Another one is to improve the field of view of the back up camera by incorporating the views of the 2 additional side door rear facing cameras in addition to the usual license place mounted back up camera. This is especially useful if you can see small children in the views of the additional cameras and take precautions before they run out behind the car and it is too late.

Somehow I do not think that Kia and Hyundai or Subaru will be giving out such useful updates after they have sold the car to you. And continue giving it for free. These small things is what builds brand loyalty and makes us overlook those "gaps in panel" and paint "not up to the mark" issues.

Comment

• Amenities are part of marketing. Brand loyalty is a strong economic incentive. It lasts as long as it is viewed as profitable.
      Do you remember when food, drinks, baggage and seat selection was free on airlines? I am literally astounded that pay toilets aren’t added, on airplanes. Not Tesla.

Comment

• Kamban I can't remember if I read this here or somewhere else... do you think Tesla's decreasing the price of the car just so they can upsell the self driving feature (which they've raised the price for)?

Comment

• I don't think many people are buying the FSD feature. For most people the basic autopilot at 3K was sufficient. Another 5-8K for a half baked FSD was not worthwhile for a 40-50K car, even with a reduction of the basic price of the car.

Another issue that I have read is that insurance companies do not give full monetary credit for that FSD. If your car gets totaled, your valuation is based on a non-FSD version of that car. That 8K loss in valuation would be hard to swallow.

Comment

• Originally posted by burritos View Post

does each individual have to download the tesla app and create a separate account or can we use the same email linked account?
            We currently have 3 Teslas. They are all under my name, and they all show up on the Tesla app. My spouse uses the same login that I use, so we both can control all 3 vehicles from either one of our phone apps.

Comment

• How do you all feel about autopilot and driver assist functions. This thought came up as we're looking at houses and an issue to me is the commute. One thought I had was living slightly further out where homes are nicer, bigger, cheaper, etc. but driving something like a tesla with autopilot, to alleviate at least some of the monotony and stress of long daily commutes. Particularly for my wife who doesn't necessarily love driving. The hope that autopilot could provide some sort of modest relief and comfort for her commute.

Comment

• Basic autopilot is pretty good for my commute and road trips. It does 50-80% of the total driving and 90% or so of interstate driving. You still pay attention but once you trust the features it’s amazing how much mental capacity gets freed up, even when paying attention to surroundings.

lots of theories about price drop in cars. From needing to compete with other car companies and their discounts to dwindling demand. Personally I think they’re getting more efficient at making cars and battery costs keep going down. They keep their profit margins the same to increase market share and realize their mission of sustainable transport.

Comment

• You would think garage door homelink would be standard.

Comment

You would think garage door homelink would be standard.
                    It was when the margins were higher and they could charge higher prices because the fed tax credit was $7.5K As it whittled slowly down to zero, they started shaving every little extra item and unfortunately that was one of the things to be taken off the menu. Same with rear heated seats in SR+ ( though the hardware is there) and wiring extra speakers, with the speakers still physically present.

I have gotten used to the usual 3 button remote I have as well as the phone app for my LiftMaster garage door opener. Thus it has not been as much a inconvenience as I thought it would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post

It was when the margins were higher and they could charge higher prices because the fed tax credit was $7.5K As it whittled slowly down to zero, they started shaving every little extra item and unfortunately that was one of the things to be taken off the menu. Same with rear heated seats in SR+ ( though the hardware is there) and wiring extra speakers, with the speakers still physically present.

I have gotten used to the usual 3 button remote I have as well as the phone app for my LiftMaster garage door opener. Thus it has not been as much a inconvenience as I thought it would be.
                      But look at their stock price. Taking a $25 loss per(high end car) will make absolutely no difference in the outcome of this tesla train.

Comment

• The loss of home link is simply PITA. Service call for no reason is silly.

Autopilot for most people is fine. Essentially a very good adaptive cruise control like Nissan leaf.

I do like my autopilot multilane but many people may not want that of FSD in early years. We have it for the 3. Keeping basic on the Y for now so CE that's her car.

New update is nice.with the thee camera view for parking too if you don't have autopark

Comment

You would think garage door homelink would be standard.
                          Elon addressed this in Twitter months ago. The home link is a licensed product and most people don’t use it so didn’t make sense to continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCBiker View Post

Elon addressed this in Twitter months ago. The home link is a licensed product and most people don’t use it so didn’t make sense to continue.
                            Most people with teslas just used a garage door opener?

Comment

But look at their stock price. Taking a $25 loss per(high end car) will make absolutely no difference in the outcome of this tesla train.
                              they discontinued it as being included when the company was 'weeks from bankruptcy'. they also stopped including a bunch of other small things as a part of their mega cost cutting efforts to save the company. I bought my model 3 just before it was not being included luckily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

they discontinued it as being included when the company was 'weeks from bankruptcy'. they also stopped including a bunch of other small things as a part of their mega cost cutting efforts to save the company. I bought my model 3 just before it was not being included luckily.
                                Was about to say the same thing. Stock price now does not reflect what the company was going through a year ago when they had to take these measures to shave every penny and keep the company afloat.

For some reason the homelink is also fickle with certain vehicles and garage door lifters. In my old house the old 2005 Odyssey and 2007 Camry would work very well with a garage opener with old Homelink but the 2017 Acura would not. When we replaced the garage door lifter to a modern one with the latest Home Link none of the cars would pair with it. After sheer frustration I just gave up and ordered additional garage door openers on E-bay, that worked very well.

I have not tried pairing the homeLink with the current home's garage lifters with the Acura and Camry. Button remotes works well, and if needed the app is always there.

Comment

Working...
                                X