Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White.Beard.Doc
    replied
    The drivetrain of the electrics is incredible.  They are far superior in the low to mid speed range that all of us use every day, incredibly responsive from a standstill, amazing acceleration for merging into traffic, the ability to launch from a stoplight like a slingshot, but without any fanfare, just silent, instantaneous, warp speed.  And when you touch the accelerator, the response is immediate.  You don't realize how much of a delay there is in an ICE vehicle until you drive an electric.  And the car is full range every morning when I pull out of my garage.  It is a different concept compared to a gas powered car that you take to the gas station once a week.  I take a few seconds to plug in when I pull into my garage, and the solar panels do their thing to fill the tank.  I have been driving an electric vehicle for over 5 years, and I have charged away from home on 2 occasions in those 5 years.  I don't ever want to go back to an ICE.

As far as people who don't have their own driveway or garage, this year in the center of my city there are more parking garage charging stations than gas stations, and the number of charging stations continues to grow rapidly.

And yes, I admit it, I am a Tesla fanboy.  I can't help it, it is based on my personal experience.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied

Driving enthusiasts love speed and performance.  EVs have that in spades.   Without even trying, our Model 3 loves comings off the line and easily accelerates past most sports sedans without pushing hard since 100% torque at 0mph while most ICE need to get to 4000+ RPM to keep up.

Most homes have electricity these days and cars coming online pretty much are standard 150+ miles per charge, which gets to almost all commute and day trip situations.

People in multi unit homes without garage/electricity access might have an issue, but eventually landlords could offer or add electric access as a feature for their tenants.

But otherwise, the arguments you make are unassailable.

There's a video of the 2018 leaf beating a 370z in 70m:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=63&v=gPFLtAoI0sQ

At the top speeds, z's or most higher end cars will beat the leaf, but if you need to grab that spot in traffic, you can zip and take it.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Driving enthusiasts love speed and performance.  EVs have that in spades.   Without even trying, our Model 3 loves comings off the line and easily accelerates past most sports sedans without pushing hard since 100% torque at 0mph while most ICE need to get to 4000+ RPM to keep up.

Most homes have electricity these days and cars coming online pretty much are standard 150+ miles per charge, which gets to almost all commute and day trip situations.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    https://www.investors.com/news/china-electric-vehicle-sales-seen-hitting-1-million-milestone-2018/

China is on pace to selling a million EVs year to year. What with no obvious infrastructure, EV's having limited range and this being the muscle car/oil adoring USofA, seem like the ICE will dominate for at least another lifetime... But I wonder if this is akin to people loving flip phones and blackberries on the eve of iphone tsunami.

Leave a comment:

• uptoolate
    replied
    They say early 2019 for 35k model and I definitely wouldn't be buying a high performance model nor a white interior.  It has been a long time since I have driven a RWD vehicle but with all of the processing power in this car I don't think it will be an issue. Our incentives are unlikely to be coming off before then but there is an election coming up so anything is possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X