Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a 2018 Leaf for my wife. Her RT is 56 mi/day.  24k fully loaded after tax credit and state/edison rebate. That’s less than half the cars that are parked in our local high school.
    Click to expand…

LOVE that even though not related to the current discussion – what do you bet it’s the students and not the staff? Almost 25 years ago, I noticed beemers in our high school student parking lot.
    Click to expand…

I’m almost certain most of the nice cars belong to the students. This area(like many many areas in the western world of abundance) is loaded with 3rd basers getting their birthright “nice car” for good grades. Which admittedly, is the path my kids are going down. Though at the age of 12 my son is one of the last 3 kids in his class without an iphone. Only half the kids in my 8 year old’s class has iphones. I’m trying but it’s an exercise in futility I suspect.
    Click to expand…

Smart phone at an early age?  Fine, it’s help them socially and at some point in their life, they’ll get one anyways.  But I think it’s a disservice to get your kids nice cars in high school.  Anecdotal story:  my brother and I went to the same high school, just 14 years apart.  My first car to drive in HS was a 1979 POS that barely ran, broke down a lot, started half the time, didn’t have air conditioning, and burned oil/gas/every other fluid you put in it.  The next car I drove was in college and it didn’t have AC either, but it didn’t stink and it was a reliable Honda Civic, so I thought it was great.  The very first car I bought with my own money was in med school when I totaled my previous one.  It was 10-15 years old, cost $4k and lasted me about 10 years.  But it did have AC, so I thought it was great.  My brother on the other hand complained that he “needed” a nice car in HS because all his friends had them, so my parents got him a 3-4 year old BMW.  I’m curious what his first car he buys will be.  I doubt it’ll be an old beater like what I got.  “A luxury once enjoyed becomes a necessity”

I have a hard time those kids will be buy a non-luxury car if that’s what they’re accustomed to.  It’s hard to go “backward” on things like this.

I've never owned a brand new car in my life. My wife yes and I've inherited her cars(accord x 2, prius). I just need something to get from from point a->b reliably. I must admit, when I do get my wife's hand me downs, they seem like really nice engineering feats even though they are usually 6-7 years old. Back up carmera? I was like wow!

Comment

• The brains (CPU) was made by Samsung (an actual tech company/metropolis) for >90% of Apple devices. Apple is not a tech company, but a marketing and design company. Its amazing people far for this stuff assuming Apple actually makes the electronics and circuitry.

Comment

• The brains (CPU) was made by Samsung (an actual tech company/metropolis) for >90% of Apple devices. Apple is not a tech company, but a marketing and design company. Its amazing people far for this stuff assuming Apple actually makes the electronics and circuitry.

This is demonstrably false.  While Apple uses contract manufacturers including Samsung and TSMC to manufacture their processors, they design the CPUs and GPUs for iPhones and iPads in house.  Apple has about a year to a year and a half lead over its competitors in mobile CPU design, especially with regard to single threaded operations and operations relative to power consumption and battery life.

Comment

Click to expand…

This is demonstrably false.  While Apple uses contract manufacturers including Samsung and TSMC to manufacture their processors, they design the CPUs and GPUs for iPhones and iPads in house.  Apple has about a year to a year and a half lead over its competitors in mobile CPU design, especially with regard to single threaded operations and operations relative to power consumption and battery life.

This is actually wrong. Pick any year. The Samsung ALWAYS had the faster, higher performance CPU = better/faster phone performance. And Samsung makes the best displays in the business. I think its funny how Samsung was making the larger phones since the Note one 7 years ago, it took Apple 4 years to catch up and finally copy them (as did all other phone companies). Apple MAYBE has nicer 'looking' photos, in the dark. Do you know what contract manufacturers mean? You just repeated the words I just wrote - Apple "designs" them. As I said Apple is a design and marketing company. You took the bait. Anecdotally, all those who tried Samsung after owning Apple (Oh, but my iTunes !), just raved to me how they will never go back. Apple's overinflated stock prices and share buybacks aside

Comment

• My Samsung galaxy s8 with Android is the best. I hate my wife's iPhone and Mac.

Comment

• My Samsung galaxy s8 with Android is the best. I hate my wife’s iPhone and Mac.

Went to Samsung years ago. We are on odd years upgrades. 5 was amazing, 7 stunk, but this 9 is like out of this world awesome. You can always do way more with a samsung just cuz they dont lock you in to some kind of hamstrung OS.

After using a larger screen it felt weird to see a tiny iphone, like how did I ever use that. Theyre all big now, but it was interesting.

Comment

• Though at the age of 12 my son is one of the last 3 kids in his class without an iphone.

My 12 yr old son reminds us of this daily. He's a good sport (most of the time). We (as parents) are trying to wait till he is 14. He can use his iPad to text his friends when he is home. At school the phones are supposed to be in the lockers all day (yeah right)

As for the other 12 year olds, I cannot speak for parents of girls (since we are an all boy family) but the boys are vicious at times. We have had numerous discussions with my son about bad behavior (that his friends are showing) from inappropriate racist jokes, to "I got invited to this party but you didn't". The social circles are interesting. Once again, where is my parenting manual!  :x

Comment

• Though at the age of 12 my son is one of the last 3 kids in his class without an iphone. 
                  Click to expand…

My 12 yr old son reminds us of this daily. He’s a good sport (most of the time). We (as parents) are trying to wait till he is 14. He can use his iPad to text his friends when he is home. At school the phones are supposed to be in the lockers all day (yeah right)

As for the other 12 year olds, I cannot speak for parents of girls (since we are an all boy family) but the boys are vicious at times. We have had numerous discussions with my son about bad behavior (that his friends are showing) from inappropriate racist jokes, to “I got invited to this party but you didn’t”. The social circles are interesting. Once again, where is my parenting manual!  ????

Just as vicious, but with some slightly different topics as well.

Comment

• I find myself intrigued by the idea of electric vehicles, but I don't think I could ever pull the trigger with a Tesla.  Did anyone ever see the South Park Smug episode with the Prius (read: "Pius) owners episode?  That is what I see when I see Tesla.  Just no.  Holding out for a 4Runner  EV.  May be holding for a long time.    In all seriousness, Tesla's cominbation of the solar roof and the electric car is a nice combination.  Throw in the battery pack.  If they can pull off the package deal, sounds like they will do quite well financially and have a nice, seamless package put together that would appeal to the green crowd and the practical, economical crowd alike. Still very $$$$.

Comment

• I find myself intrigued by the idea of electric vehicles, but I don’t think I could ever pull the trigger with a Tesla.  Did anyone ever see the South Park Smug episode with the Prius (read: “Pius) owners episode?  That is what I see when I see Tesla.  Just no.  Holding out for a 4Runner  EV.  May be holding for a long time.  ????  In all seriousness, Tesla’s cominbation of the solar roof and the electric car is a nice combination.  Throw in the battery pack.  If they can pull off the package deal, sounds like they will do quite well financially and have a nice, seamless package put together that would appeal to the green crowd and the practical, economical crowd alike. Still very $$$$.

Model s is 75k right? That seems like a lot to me imho. It is a beautiful piece of machinery. Maybe after I have my kids college funds fully funded...

Comment

• Anecdotally, all those who tried Samsung after owning Apple (Oh, but my iTunes !), just raved to me how they will never go back.

After the Palm Phone ( I loved it) and a Blackberry I got a iPhone with Verizon. Was on iPhone 4 and 4s for long time to help keep the unlimited data plan. Finally said s***w you to Verizon when they kept raising prices of that data plan and went to T-Mobile. Got BOGO free of Samsung Galaxy S8+. Man, light and day difference. And so many things to do with that large screen and all the apps I need without being tied to a closed ecosystem.

Never going back to Apple iPhone again. Even my diehard iPhone carrying wife loves the Samsung now when her 6s started to die suddenly and not charge and she was forced to change to Galaxy 8+.

Comment

• So time to decide whether to order long-range Model 3 or wait for the Econo version.  11K in incentives with either model so although I would like the extra range it would also be nice to get the bigger discount (plus save some tax).  The Econo version is actually pretty affordable with the local incentives in.

Comment

• 35k not in the cards for a long time;  how about dual motor +performance and white interior?   releasing next week per Musk.    For sunny San Diego, our Long term model is plenty fast and nice already......but would have been nice to have the white interior.

Comment

• They say early 2019 for 35k model and I definitely wouldn't be buying a high performance model nor a white interior.  It has been a long time since I have driven a RWD vehicle but with all of the processing power in this car I don't think it will be an issue. Our incentives are unlikely to be coming off before then but there is an election coming up so anything is possible.

Comment

• https://www.investors.com/news/china-electric-vehicle-sales-seen-hitting-1-million-milestone-2018/

China is on pace to selling a million EVs year to year. What with no obvious infrastructure, EV's having limited range and this being the muscle car/oil adoring USofA, seem like the ICE will dominate for at least another lifetime... But I wonder if this is akin to people loving flip phones and blackberries on the eve of iphone tsunami.

Comment

Working...
                                X