X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

•  

The KEY reason for the Tesla Model 3 for us is the enhanced Autopilot features; if not for that, the Bolt would have a very viable option as well as the upcoming Leaf 2.0 being announced in Sept.   We’re still going to look at the Leaf is they are reported having a decent ProPilot — but need to see that in action first.

I was considering the tesla just for the autopilot...  Are there any competitors that are even close?  I think electric is cool but I think I'd prefer an ICE car until there is sufficient charging infrastructure in place

Comment

• There are main stream car companies testing some autonomous driving, but as of now, tesla is the only one that's currently available. Audi has a level 3 car that could be available but only in Germany and a very slow speed.

As for charging, you can drive coast to coast with the tesla. You charge every night at home, so you probably will never need to use a super charger unless doing long distance travel.

I think people forget that you charge your tesla nightly, unlike your ICE where you have to go to a gas station weekly.

Comment

•  

The KEY reason for the Tesla Model 3 for us is the enhanced Autopilot features; if not for that, the Bolt would have a very viable option as well as the upcoming Leaf 2.0 being announced in Sept.   We’re still going to look at the Leaf is they are reported having a decent ProPilot — but need to see that in action first.
        Click to expand…

I was considering the tesla just for the autopilot…  Are there any competitors that are even close?  I think electric is cool but I think I’d prefer an ICE car until there is sufficient charging infrastructure in place

me too.  autopilot is the main reason.  but if i'm being honest, i want it for when i'm too tired to drive.  autopilot probably makes it easier for me to fall asleep.  

right now i don't think anyone is close.

Comment

• I love the car so much, I’m seriously considering purchasing a second one (used of course)
          Click to expand…

With all of the federal, state, local, and dealer discounts, we paid $7,500 (plus taxes and title and registration) for a brand new one. Saves $1000+ a year in gas, even if we pay for all electric costs. Came with 2 years of free charging, so we’re really saving!
          Click to expand…

Folks am I missing something?  You’re saying you got a new car, that starts at $30K+, for $7,500 new?  Even three years old used for less than $10K seems insane…

Yes I agree, something is wrong with the math for a new one. Mine was 3 years old with 20k miles (fully loaded SL Model)

I thought CA had $3000 leaf Credit. Even if you combine that with Federal $7500 that's only $10,500 off original price. Maybe he got a base model S (Leaf Model S, not Tesla Model S) that they couldn't get rid of? But even then the math seems funny. (Not calling anyone a liar, just thinking out loud and wondering if I misread something)

Comment

• For those of you with a Leaf, is your auto insurance rate pretty comparable to a gas burning car? I ask because a friend of mine bought a Honda Civic CNG and he discovered later the insurance premium almost doubled compared to his previous non-CNG Civic.

Our insurance went up $30/mo but I got rid of an 11 year old car that didn't have collision or comprehensive on it.

Comment

• Folks am I missing something?  You’re saying you got a new car, that starts at $30K+, for $7,500 new?  Even three years old used for less than $10K seems insane…

Yes I agree, something is wrong with the math for a new one.

MSRP: $33,335 (30,680, plus 895 dest charge, plus 1770 charger (all seem to have the charger already, so kind of have to count it)).

-7500 federal

-5000 state

-10,000 utility company

-3k (b/c I asked for it).

= 7,800, plus taxes (~3k), plus title&registration. == 11k. All in. Brand new car, fun to drive, works for us. Plenty of range for commuting and small trips. We also have an Subaru for other, longer needs.

Saves ~1500/year in gas (counting what we pay for electricity), but the car comes w/ 2 years of free charging, so the saving are really more than 1500/year.

It's a deal indeed. I'm not sure you could find another brand new car for 11k.

Comment

• @adventure -  CO?   Didn't know that they had a $10k electricity incentive, AND you negotiated addition 3k?  wow.  That's great..  I'd take that just for deal and savings alone.  Unfortunately, CA not dealing on those right now despite the impending release of 2.0 Leaf.

Comment

• There are main stream car companies testing some autonomous driving, but as of now, tesla is the only one that’s currently available. Audi has a level 3 car that could be available but only in Germany and a very slow speed.

As for charging, you can drive coast to coast with the tesla. You charge every night at home, so you probably will never need to use a super charger unless doing long distance travel.

I think people forget that you charge your tesla nightly, unlike your ICE where you have to go to a gas station weekly.

how easy is it to charge when traveling.  I go to houston and dallas frequently and stay for the weekend.  Is it easy to plug in the car in the hotel parking lot overnight?  I looked at the tesla supercharger map and it didn't seem like there were too many hotels that had stations...

Comment

• Depends on where you are on what is called 'destination charging'.   Many hotels in tourist areas have these now and it's growing in number each time.  All the Hyatts we went to this summer had them:  San Diego, Anaheim, LA, Washington DC, Baltimore.  -- Both Tesla and Level 2 CCS.

Comment

• There are main stream car companies testing some autonomous driving, but as of now, tesla is the only one that’s currently available. Audi has a level 3 car that could be available but only in Germany and a very slow speed.

Click to expand…

how easy is it to charge when traveling.  I go to houston and dallas frequently and stay for the weekend.  Is it easy to plug in the car in the hotel parking lot overnight?  I looked at the tesla supercharger map and it didn’t seem like there were too many hotels that had stations…

Click to expand…

I was considering the tesla just for the autopilot…  Are there any competitors that are even close?  I think electric is cool but I think I’d prefer an ICE car until there is sufficient charging infrastructure in place

Traveling long distance with a Tesla is super easy.  You just enter your destination into the onboard google maps, and the system will tell you where to charge, how long to charge at each station and how much battery you'll have leftover at your destination.  Using the Superchargers is easy too, you literally just plug it into your car.  No RFID, credit card, or anything else needs to be done, its really that easy.  Most are located near a bathroom (most important) and food/coffee and possibly shopping is sometimes nearby.  I usually plug in, go use the restroom and get a coffee, and my car is done by the time I get back.  (the Tesla app will notify you when you have enough charge to continue on your journey)

I think you are confusing Tesla Superchargers with destination chargers.  The Superchargers are built to allow long distance travel. Although they have recently changed their strategy to include metro Superchargers, which charge at a slightly lower rate, probably in preparation for Model 3 owners who don't own a garage.  Destination chargers are available at lots of hotels and they charge at a slower rate, but more than enough to charge overnight (which is the intended purpose, not quickly along the highway during a roadtrip).  Plugshare is the best website/app to find these chargers.

Charging infrastructure in the cities is really irrelevant when you charge at home overnight.  I don't drive more than 300 miles in a day and I have a "full tank" every single morning when I leave for work.  I frequently get asked if I've ever "run out of charge."  This has never happened, and I have never even come close.

There aren't many competitors even close to Tesla with regards to market ready deployment of self driving tech.  Lots of companies have prototypes and self driving prototype cars with ugly protrusions which just aren't ready yet (cruze, waymo, etc.).  Additionally, Teslas will improve/iterate as time goes by via over the air software updates--this is a huge competitive advantage.

Comment

• I don't think traveling long distances with Tesla or any electric car is very convenient.  I've had all-electric and plug-in hybrids since 2011.  Currently, I have a Tesla.  Even in large metropolitan cities with numerous superchargers, recharging is a hassle.  There's always a line at the superchargers

The longer trips, i.e. vegas trips with Barstow stop, ends up being hours longer while waiting to charge.

Teslas are awesome for commuting, carpool lanes and cool for being tech'y.  They are no longer "head turning" vehicles as they are a dime a dozen depending on where you live.

Comment

• I love my Teslas, for how they drive and because of the electric component. I charge in my garage and save time because I never have to go to a gas station.

Our older Tesla is almost 5 years old, and my new one is about a year old.  The convenience of not needing to do oil changes or maintenance is a time saving pleasure, and they will come to you to pick up your car for rarely needed service and give you a Tesla loaner.  The convenience of personal service for rare maintenance is great.

Autopilot (AP1 on my newer Tesla) is very beta.  It is awesome in bumper to bumper traffic, awesome on the interstate, but less so on local roads.  Taking a road trip is great with the autopilot, very relaxing to let the car drive, but you have to plan for supercharging on trips over 300 miles which takes longer than filling a gas tank.

My Teslas are way better than a regular ICE car about 99.5% of the time, and worse about 0.5% of the time.  This calculation depends on how you use your car.  If you take lots of long road trips, you have to think about whether or not an EV is worth it for you.  If you rarely drive more than 300 miles in a day, they are great.  The other downside is you don't get the same level of interior accoutrements you would in an S class Mercedes, but I would never drive one of those anyway.

Comment

• Not getting the model 3 for eye candy and great interiors....getting it because of autopilot.

Ironically, the safety alerts are lower than standard Toyotas or kia. No side alarm, no backup emergency, no blindside. Daughter new driver is probably going to get a kia Niroev because of all these reasons and a better hauler than the model 3.

We have two evs and the ideal would be 150 miles for local needs. Agree long haul simply too cumbersome for everything ATM. I would never cross country anyways in sedan. Our main concern is making to la from SD and destination charging. Anything else gets the ICE mini or rental or airplane.....or now.... RV trips ????

Comment

• I looked at the tesla supercharger map

Look at apps/websites such as these: plugshare, alt fuel, chargepoint, EZ-charge, etc.

Keep in mind, you can charge at 3 levels: 110v any outlet, 220, level 2 - most common "public" charges, and level 3, the superchargers, chademo, sae combo or some others maybe. Anyway, more options than you might expect.

I never have to go to a gas station.

I can't begin to express how archaic a gas station feels after not going to one for months! (I'm still pretty wow'd by the energy stored in petroleum products, from a physics perspective though. Pretty amazing)

Comment

• Jeez how often are you guys going to gas stations? I'm there five minutes max maybe once every three weeks.
                                Sure if we take a driving trip I may go twice in one week but I'm generally either on vacation or have time allotted. Still only five minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X