X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beards

Any of you guys (or gals too I guess) have beards?

I was about to go in to see a new patient and my nurse was laughing telling me that the woman left her old doctor because she thought he looked unkempt with a big bushy beard as the example she gave. Then I come walking in with a trimmed but somewhat bushy beard. She said nothing to me about it and I didn't bring it up. She transfer to another practice. Win for me!

I do not know how my nurse kept a straight face. I would not have been able to if she said something to me. It was hard enough knowing it ahead of time.

Anyway ridiculous story aside has anybody else been discriminated against for having facial hair?

Probably when I hit menopause

Comment

If only I had the option. My face won't cooperate

Comment

Who the heck wants to deal with that scratchy crap and have another thing to tame in the morning?

Comment

I'm blessed/cursed with overactive follicles; so I can have a respectable beard in about two weeks. It was horrible during the military, since I'd have to shave five times a day before each formation. Since I've gotten out, I've tried to take advantage of it by trying out various styles - goatee, beard, stash...

It all boils down to what ENT Doc pointed out... It gets scratchy and becomes more of a pain to deal with than it's worth. Maybe if I went full-bore mountain man it would be different?
          I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

I don't have a "beard", but I have a "goatee" (I hate that word). For me, is presence is less work. Once a week I trim it shorter. Daily I shave otherwise.
            "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

It has to be long enough that it is not scratchy but short enough so the kids can not grab too hard.

Comment

I’ve had a beard for years - 6mm guard once a week. Plus shaving under my jawline where the beard ends a few times a week — lower maintenance overall than clean shaven. Of course I had my mountain man phase in college.

I’m now enjoying the occasional patient who compliments me on my beard - is that new? (No... 11 years...) And my personal favorite - wow your beard has really gotten gray.

Comment

I can't really grow facial hair so I don't know the personal pros/cons of a beard. It's probably for the best as I don't really see myself as having a face that would look even remotely ok with a beard on it.

Comment

I started mine in MS4 year. Should have started sooner as we once got forwarded an email by our snarky family med course director. A patient wrote a not so eloquent email about med students being unkempt and having “nasty facial hair,” which led to us being told we better be clean shaven for the our shelf exam. I purposely didn’t shave for a test and turned in my paperwork while wearing flip flops

Comment

• mapplebum
                      mapplebum commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Badass

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
                    Who the heck wants to deal with that scratchy crap and have another thing to tame in the morning?
                    You’ve got it all wrong. A beard is way easier. I have an electric razor for my neck in the morning then trim it once every other week when I give myself a haircut.

Comment

Haven't given myself a clean shave since high school. Short beard trimmed weekly, neck shave every other day or so. Easy peasy

Comment

I knew I could count on the forum for some heard support. I agree way easier then shaving daily but that is not my reason for it. I just like the look better. My wife says she prefers me without the beard so I usually only grow it in the winter months.

Comment

I'm currently on my longest no-shave streak ever...trying to adapt to the world of beards...time will tell if this stays...

Comment

• tylerjw12
                            tylerjw12 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Me too! Been over two months and I trimmed it just once. It's been a revelation, as I spent most of my life thinking I couldn't grow a halfway respectable beard.
                            As long as The Wife approves and the kids don't pull it out, I imagine it'll stay.

White.Beard.Doc Until WBD weighs in, consider mustache wax as a stocking stuffer-for the spouse!

https://hpr1.com/index.php/opinion/l...a-fargo-fable/

Comment

Working...
                          X