Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I tell my employer that I lost the 20 yr anniversary gift they gave me?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I tell my employer that I lost the 20 yr anniversary gift they gave me?

20 years at the same clinic. They handed me an envelope as a gift at the Christmas party. After 3 glasses of wine, I forgot the envelope on the restaurant table. After two visits to the restaurant we came to the conclusion that it's now in landfill. It's 100% my fault. I don't want them to get me another gift, which could happen if I mention it. If I find out what it was, it might make me feel worse. Stay silent?

So you don’t know what was in the envelope? I’d tell them. May be able to cancel a gift certificate and get a refund or new one.

Comment

A lost and found inquiry might be discreet.

Comment

If you don't know what it is, I think you have to tell someone what happened. Otherwise you can't give a meaningful thank you, and will look really awkward when someone asks how you enjoyed it.

If you know what the gift was (like a gift card to Restaurant X or tickets to Play Y), you can just say thanks and pretend that you went and had a great time.

Comment

I'd find out what was in it. Call me a pessimist but I also believe there is a 80% chance it didn't get thrown away.

Comment

The suspense is killing us. Please don't make us wait until Christmas morning. It was a 20 yr gift, not Christmas. Go find out!

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
              I'd find out what was in it. Call me a pessimist but I also believe there is a 80% chance it didn't get thrown away.
              Yea, I’m thinking there’s an at least 80% chance, if not higher. Unfortunately I believe that there’s a good probability that a restaurant employee is enjoying your gift. I guess you can call me jaded.
              Last edited by HikingDO; 12-10-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Amazon card. I didn't ask how much. Probably in the $250-1000 range is my guess. C'est la vie! Honestly the great time I had at the party was worth it.

Comment

That might be a full day of work you could have retired early!

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                    That might be a full day of work you could have retired early!
                    It'll make my wife happy cause she hates amazon. I kind of like it though, but that holds very little sway in our household buying milieu.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                      Amazon card. I didn't ask how much. Probably in the $250-1000 range is my guess. C'est la vie! Honestly the great time I had at the party was worth it.
                      Can they track this or have another re-issued? The Amazon GCs have a redemption code on them that seems like it would be easy to see who redeemed it, however, you'd have to get Amazon on board which will likely be difficult without police involvement.

Comment

Ugh, this thread is wonky so I can't see all the responses.
                        My heart sinks for you burritos, this is like a nightmare of mine!
                        I would probably discretely ask somebody who knows what it was (office manager?) just to figure out a strategy (i.e. send out a thank you vs re-print the all expenses paid two week vacation to Paris). Hey, as long as you had a designated driver, I would lean heavy on being a doofus combined with being pleasantly inebriated.

Edit: other posts came through. I would tell them to see if they could reprint. I doubt it is in a landfill...more likely it was a great tip for somebody on the waitstaff!

Comment

Is it 20 years with the VA? If so, let me spoil the surprise. It's a little lapel pin and a paper certificate. Same as 10 years, 15 years, 25 years, 30 years, etc.

Comment

Hope the retirement party is in December. Good luck

Comment

Yeah I would track this if possible. Zero percent chance this is in a landfill. Ask to see the camera footage inside the restaurant.

Comment

Working...
                              X