FLP: what kind of weirdo spends 1500 on a bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLP: what kind of weirdo spends 1500 on a bike

Fatlittlepig has wanted an e-bike for awhile but they are pricey. Fatlittlepig just ordered one of these
    https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrunner-electric-utility-bike
    Yes I did try one out. Its fun. Fatlittlepig is a weirdo and just spent 1500 on a bike.

My original thought when reading the title was the same kind of person who buys a fake Rolex. Turns out, I was correct. ;-)

Comment

I've mentioned before that we have a lot of Amish nearby.  Bikes are incredibly popular along with the horse and buggy, and E-bikes even more so.  I'm not sure how the community justifies it, but there's something strange about seeing a person in 1800's garb cruising down the street on an electric bicycle.

Why stop with the bike? For just a bit more you can have an electric motorcycle.

Comment

I’m guessing the capris you are fond of will work well on the bike - won’t get caught in the chain.

Comment

All of us jeering gawkers will eventually use an electric bike.   The alternative -- too frail and weak-- is worse.

Comment

E-bikes are cool. You have to try one to know.

Comment

Paid $1300 on ebay for a gary fisher 2+ in 2004. I think it was a $2200 retail. Love it and it's still going strong. Can't wait for tomorrow on my day off when where I get to bike into the Santa Monica's mountains. It's the most expensive thing that I've ever spent on myself personally for a single item.

Comment

Just spent 3K on my Cannondale bad habit mountain bike, so I must be a double weirdo. But it’s a great bike!

Comment

Just spent 3K on my Cannondale bad habit mountain bike, so I must be a double weirdo. But it’s a great bike!

I'm jealous. I'm also cheap.

Comment

Ebikes are awesome. My wife and I did a few tours in Ebikes in our last vacation. Highly recommended

Comment

Used an electric emountain bike in Aspen a couple weeks ago to scope a course out. Was amazing. They have so many ebikes they were selling some at shops for 40% off. They are super fun and given my level of fitness allowed me to get a great workout while riding places I wouldnt have been able to.

I was going to reply that I've pretty much paid that for bike accessories.

Comment

E bikes are amazeballs! My husband rides his to work every day. It's a commuter and can also carry my 11 yo. It was more than 1500 though. I'm going to get a townie ebike in the spring, I can't wait. They are super fun and practical. I'd love to see an e bike revolution in the us :-)

Comment

$1500 isn't even a very nice wheelset these days.
                          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

After you said $1500 is crazy for a bike, I am reluctant to share what I spent on my custom, fully tricked out carbon mountain bike.  And that’s with no e at the beginning of the word bike, it’s just me peddling the thing.

But anyway, back to the ebike discussion. Recently I became very interested in a Frey EX ebike.  I am thinking of buying it while visiting Asia early next year, riding it a bit while there, and then bringing it back home on the plane as a used bike, saving the tariff and freight cost.  It’s around 2k for this top end ebike, top speed 31 mph, and the equivalent ebikes from Europe are running 6-8k.

If I am able to work out the logistics, after I finish my regular morning bike ride in the woods I can switch to the ebike and ride to the hospital.

Comment

After you said $1500 is crazy for a bike, I am reluctant to share what I spent on my custom, fully tricked out carbon mountain bike.  And that’s with no e at the beginning of the word bike, it’s just me peddling the thing.

But anyway, back to the ebike discussion. Recently I became very interested in a Frey EX ebike.  I am thinking of buying it while visiting Asia early next year, riding it a bit while there, and then bringing it back home on the plane as a used bike, saving the tariff and freight cost.  It’s around 2k for this top end ebike, top speed 31 mph, and the equivalent ebikes from Europe are running 6-8k.

If I am able to work out the logistics, after I finish my regular morning bike ride in the woods I can switch to the ebike and ride to the hospital.

31mph. Wow, that would be amazing. The Giant I had clearly maxed out at 18 and its a bit abrupt the letting go and kicking in (like hitting a massive headwind and someone rear ending you) and you can really feel when you're pushing harder than the assist. I think if I were to get one I'd want to make sure there was not a lot of motor friction to fight against when you're out powering it, though this would rarely happen in a 31mph max bike, though you'd like to at will ofc.

Comment

Working...
                              X