• Show
Clear All

• Whitedress
    replied
    Barbecue 2-3 times a month.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

What exactly are you needing to clean off that can’t be cleaned by cranking the heat up to high and rubbing it with a wire brush or one of those wooden paddles? When I do those things with the grill on high it gets them very clean. It’s helpful to do it at the end of when you’ve cooked food and the grill is very hot. If you try and do it the next time you grill, at least wait until the grill is very hot before trying to do it. I’ve never had a problem with an unclean grill doing this.

Most common problem is with marinated meat, when the marinade is thick.

If it's just a burger, that's not a big deal.  Sometime the cheese for a cheeseburger is a little stickier, but even that is not so bad.

Leave a comment:

• MaxPower
    replied
    What exactly are you needing to clean off that can’t be cleaned by cranking the heat up to high and rubbing it with a wire brush or one of those wooden paddles? When I do those things with the grill on high it gets them very clean. It’s helpful to do it at the end of when you’ve cooked food and the grill is very hot. If you try and do it the next time you grill, at least wait until the grill is very hot before trying to do it. I’ve never had a problem with an unclean grill doing this.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Had a Weber Summit in the old house.  Now have a good charbroil 6 burner that was only $600.   Gas is for convenience for the quick meal and casual user.  Dedicated grillers will use charcoal and smokers -- I'm not - need quick startup, cook, and clean out.

Searing is the best way to lock in the flavor quick and multiple burners are nice to control heat and multiple types of foods cooking on the grill at the same time.  That's the difference between the number of burners and value.  More burners make faster and more convenient grilling -- not so much the name.

Leave a comment:

• Neuro-doc
    replied
    You can flip the grill grates upside down, and burn off residue, then flip again next time you grill. Dishwasher????? That sounds like too much of a hassle.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    With cleaning the grill I have the "it's not just good, it's good enough" attitude.
    I have heard people run their grill grates through the dishwasher.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

Depends on how clean is clean @ar. I have been afraid of accidentally ingesting parts of the wire bristles on many of the grill brushes, so no longer use those alone. I have a wire brush that is a bunch of coils all made up of one long, continuous wire, so if some of it broke off somehow you could tell because the coils would be messed up. I most commonly use a wooden cleaner that I bought at Costco a couple of years back. It was initially shaped like a short, flat paddle, but after a couple of years of use I have worn (burned?) grooves into it that do a good job of scraping the burned on food off the grates. It only cost about $15 and at the current rate, will probably last about 20 years.

Unfortunately, clean seems to be cleaner than I can get it.  A long time ago, I used to have a cleaning person who would go through some sort of elaborate process every so often (involved oven cleaner).  It looked fantastic after she was done.  I'd also do some extra washing after she left to make sure there were no chemicals left on it.   I don't know what the heck she did, but I can't recreate the process.  Ever since then, the best I can do is pretty mediocre in comparison.

It is on fire! How clean does it have to be?    I still us a wire brush but I have someone trying to talk me into one of those paddles.

I've got one of those paddles.  It's OK.

Leave a comment:

• childay
    replied

I have been afraid of accidentally ingesting parts of the wire bristles on many of the grill brushes

I know this is a thing and have seen reports of perforation and such.  But I feel a close inspection of the grates after cleaning you wouldn't miss a bristle unless it was dark out or your grill was super grossly chunky.

Leave a comment:

• childay
    replied
    Thumbs up on the grill grates BTW.  Definitely increase the heat on my gas grill.

The a-maze-n smoker still evaluating

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    It is on fire! How clean does it have to be?    I still us a wire brush but I have someone trying to talk me into one of those paddles.

Leave a comment:

• MaxPower
    replied
    Depends on how clean is clean @AR. I have been afraid of accidentally ingesting parts of the wire bristles on many of the grill brushes, so no longer use those alone. I have a wire brush that is a bunch of coils all made up of one long, continuous wire, so if some of it broke off somehow you could tell because the coils would be messed up. I most commonly use a wooden cleaner that I bought at Costco a couple of years back. It was initially shaped like a short, flat paddle, but after a couple of years of use I have worn (burned?) grooves into it that do a good job of scraping the burned on food off the grates. It only cost about $15 and at the current rate, will probably last about 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    While we're on the subject of grills, does anyone have any good tips for cleaning grills.  I'd grill more, but I hate trying to get the grill clean enough that I want to grill on it again.   Especially if I grill something that was marinated.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    Unfortunately I’m waiting until I hit a 5m net worth before forking down on one : (

to spend 800???? we can do that much at target in a month and not bat an eye...

Leave a comment:

• wcinewbie
    replied

Thx for the tip wcinewbie.

Unfortunately I’m waiting until I hit a 5m net worth before forking down on one : (

Give it a try for a few years.  If you don't like it, return it. 

Leave a comment:

• FIREshrink
    replied
    Get a grill that runs on natural gas and hooks into your home. Never run out.

We use our little Weber up to 3 times per week regardless of weather. It's under a covered area.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X