Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaphod
    replied

Despite this thread running a very predictable course, I am glad to see there are some enthusiasts on this forum.

If you are being fiscally responsible, there is nothing wrong with splurging on a vehicle just like you would splurge on a boat, vacation, or kitchen remodel. I am always amused to see that some who consider a car simply a means of getting from point A to point B feel as if they are entitled to a pat on the back for keeping it low key. But even more than that, they seem to want to admonish those who care more about the experience than themselves. I can certainly appreciate the non-enthusiast’s perspective but how come it never goes the other way?

I’ve loved automobiles from a young age and have driven a variety of cars with three pedals since I was a teenager. The visceral experience of selecting my own gears and feeling the engine do exactly what I want never gets old and makes my commute a rewarding part of my day. I have kept it modest but someday, when my loans are long gone and our financial health allows, I’d like to find myself in a used 911 that I plan to keep and maintain for a long time. I don’t see any problem with that and don’t know why a reasonable person would either.
    Click to expand…

I see cars as something quite different, to expound on earlier points.

The kitchen remodel thing is not a great analogy as you are adding value to your home. You can actually make money on a kitchen remodel fairly easily.

The vacation also falls a little flat as there is no way justify vacation dollars as anything other than just luxury spending. You are never going to have any kind of ROI on a vacation nor are you going to resell it.

A boat is something that people tend to either have or not have.

The point I made before is that a super car is a fantastically bad way to spend money marginally. If I got to Italy instead of not going, basically every dollar I spend is increasing my Italy experience over my staycation. The thing with a super car is that, again, most of what it can do that something like Corvette can’t is illegal or dangerous. You can’t even legally use the thing for what it’s designed to do. That’s my issue with this. You spend $100k more than you would for a vette and you experience that delta in very limited ways.

All discretionary spending is not the same. I could decide that I would only use the finest bath towels and I would throw them away after a single use. This would be hugely expensive but objectively stupid. Why do we all recognize it as stupid? Because I’m not experiencing anything meaningful by spending that money. I shrug and say “well I just love the feeling of a new, high-end towel” and you all say, “great, you’re an idiot.”

If you have it to spend and want to be a Ferrari do it, heck come pick me up and let me take a spin I’d love it, it’s just a really dumb thing to do with money. If you have a bunch of money you can do dumb stuff with it.

You are forgetting the value in a non corvette super car, is almost solely psychic, it makes people feel better than others, feel good about themselves, validating, etc....its like paying off your mortgage or something.

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied

Despite this thread running a very predictable course, I am glad to see there are some enthusiasts on this forum.

If you are being fiscally responsible, there is nothing wrong with splurging on a vehicle just like you would splurge on a boat, vacation, or kitchen remodel. I am always amused to see that some who consider a car simply a means of getting from point A to point B feel as if they are entitled to a pat on the back for keeping it low key. But even more than that, they seem to want to admonish those who care more about the experience than themselves. I can certainly appreciate the non-enthusiast’s perspective but how come it never goes the other way?

I’ve loved automobiles from a young age and have driven a variety of cars with three pedals since I was a teenager. The visceral experience of selecting my own gears and feeling the engine do exactly what I want never gets old and makes my commute a rewarding part of my day. I have kept it modest but someday, when my loans are long gone and our financial health allows, I’d like to find myself in a used 911 that I plan to keep and maintain for a long time. I don’t see any problem with that and don’t know why a reasonable person would either.

I see cars as something quite different, to expound on earlier points.

The kitchen remodel thing is not a great analogy as you are adding value to your home. You can actually make money on a kitchen remodel fairly easily.

The vacation also falls a little flat as there is no way justify vacation dollars as anything other than just luxury spending. You are never going to have any kind of ROI on a vacation nor are you going to resell it.

A boat is something that people tend to either have or not have.

The point I made before is that a super car is a fantastically bad way to spend money marginally. If I got to Italy instead of not going, basically every dollar I spend is increasing my Italy experience over my staycation. The thing with a super car is that, again, most of what it can do that something like Corvette can't is illegal or dangerous. You can't even legally use the thing for what it's designed to do. That's my issue with this. You spend $100k more than you would for a vette and you experience that delta in very limited ways.

All discretionary spending is not the same. I could decide that I would only use the finest bath towels and I would throw them away after a single use. This would be hugely expensive but objectively stupid. Why do we all recognize it as stupid? Because I'm not experiencing anything meaningful by spending that money. I shrug and say "well I just love the feeling of a new, high-end towel" and you all say, "great, you're an idiot."

If you have it to spend and want to be a Ferrari do it, heck come pick me up and let me take a spin I'd love it, it's just a really dumb thing to do with money. If you have a bunch of money you can do dumb stuff with it.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    yes, honestly you 2 stop it.

if you having nothing else to add to the OP please go bat your eyes at each other in a different thread.

Leave a comment:

• TheDangerZone
    replied

If you are being fiscally responsible, there is nothing wrong with splurging on a vehicle just like you would splurge on a boat, vacation, or kitchen remodel. I am always amused to see that some who consider a car simply a means of getting from point A to point B feel as if they are entitled to a pat on the back for keeping it low key. But even more than that, they seem to want to admonish those who care more about the experience than themselves. I can certainly appreciate the non-enthusiast's perspective but how come it never goes the other way?

I've loved automobiles from a young age and have driven a variety of cars with three pedals since I was a teenager. The visceral experience of selecting my own gears and feeling the engine do exactly what I want never gets old and makes my commute a rewarding part of my day. I have kept it modest but someday, when my loans are long gone and our financial health allows, I'd like to find myself in a used 911 that I plan to keep and maintain for a long time. I don't see any problem with that and don't know why a reasonable person would either.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    Civic touring trim.

Leave a comment:

• angeladiaz99
    replied

fatlittlepig wrote:in addition I absolutely love it when people snicker at the thought of driving a Honda Civic. #stealthwealth

Depends on which civic

my husband just picked up a type r and I’ve learned way more about Civics than I’ve wanted to ?

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/10-rwd-supercars-that-are-slower-around-the-nurburgring-than-the-new-civic-type-r/

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
                Civic   Ferrari

Price    $.        $$$$

Gas guzzling.X   XXXX

Unreliability X    XXXX

Cost ownership X   XXXX

Heated leather seats, CarPlay, Bluetooth, backup camera, LKAS, ACC etc (i don’t know if a ferrari has all of these things and I was too lazy to google it.)

FLP only sees one of these cars that could be labeled a super car IMHO...

(Also FLP definitely can’t afford a car that’s always going to be in the shop. Don’t have the time for that.)

in addition I absolutely love it when people snicker at the thought of driving a Honda Civic. #stealthwealth

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied

I would guess that 90% of this forum could afford a 150k car. The reason they do not is because they do not want to or it would impact other financial goals.

For a significant percentage of people on this high saver forum they could not only afford the $150K car but also not have it have any impact on their financial goals. The reason they do not get the car is that a $150K car does not excite them and they don't see the value for that money.

I feel most comfortable driving a 10 year, $25K initial value car that is now worth $2-5K. Does the job, blends in well and has routine maintenance costs. I will leave it to others to buy the $150K car and keep the economy going.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied

I would guess that 90% of this forum could afford a 150k car. The reason they do not is because they do not want to or it would impact other financial goals.

After the first couple of dings I don’t care any more either. I got better things to spend my money on. Nobody would guess my car is a doctor car anyways.

Lordosis, my friend, we are strictly in the minivan club, definitely can’t afford to be driving unreliable, gas guzzling, high maintenance cars. Fatlittlepig proudly embraces this.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied

https://ibb.co/HphmVqj

FLP’s car, 28K out the door, superior to the ferrari in almost all aspects other than “exclusivity” LOL

If FLP notices a scratch on the car, instead of hyperventilating, FLP will just shrug and move on with life.
    Click to expand…

Are you wearing capri pants?

Are those superior to regular pants because they were cheaper since it took less thread to make them? LOL

On a serious note, what you describe is a general lack of caring. Personally, if I got a scratch on my Civic I would care a lot, not because its a cheap car, but because it’s my car. Now if I got a scuff on my shoes, no big deal. However there are sneakerheads that would immediately go clean it off. Just because you don’t care about something doesn’t mean no one else should either.

At this point, I think you are just trying to put others down to justify yourself not being able to afford such a car.

Yep your absolutely right. I can’t afford a super car, and I was hoping that after spending that kind of money on a Ferrari, EMD could post a picture of his here so the Fatlittlepig could salivate at it.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied

After the first couple of dings I don't care any more either. I got better things to spend my money on. Nobody would guess my car is a doctor car anyways.

Leave a comment:

• I Find This Humerus
    replied

https://ibb.co/HphmVqj

FLP’s car, 28K out the door, superior to the ferrari in almost all aspects other than “exclusivity” LOL

If FLP notices a scratch on the car, instead of hyperventilating, FLP will just shrug and move on with life.

Are you wearing capri pants?

Are those superior to regular pants because they were cheaper since it took less thread to make them? LOL

On a serious note, what you describe is a general lack of caring. Personally, if I got a scratch on my Civic I would care a lot, not because its a cheap car, but because it's my car. Now if I got a scuff on my shoes, no big deal. However there are sneakerheads that would immediately go clean it off. Just because you don't care about something doesn't mean no one else should either.

At this point, I think you are just trying to put others down to justify yourself not being able to afford such a car.

Leave a comment:

• EndoRobert
    replied
    I went to the pebble beach concours d'elegance one year. Amazing cars. But the real show is what’s driving around Carmel and Monterey in the week leading up to the show. If you ever want to drive a Ferrari f40 or Bugatti Veyron and not stand out, that’s the place to do it.

I’m content to just ride in neurosurgeons panamera turbo or anesthesiologist’s carrera 4s (never mind the true super cars), but I like the rule of thumb to pay cash and not let it be more than 50% of yearly income.

Leave a comment:

• EntrepreneurMD
    replied
    iradoc,

I have always purchased all my cars with cash. I see why you leased (business write off), but do you regret it for lack of equity in the end?

My cousin just got one of those almost new baby blue GT3RS models (stunning) and also a 911 Turbo from I believe the late 80's or early 90's (supposedly appreciating).

You made a great pick.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied

I do also want you to post your sweet ride, just because I like looking at nice cars.  Isn’t that what car dudes do on the internet?

?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X