X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight is Apollo 11 night

This was the night 50 years ago that man set foot on a terrestrial body other than earth. What a moment it was of human achievement. And 10 years earlier we had not even gone beyond our atmosphere.

Only 12 have set foot on the moon and only 4 are still alive. Surprisingly the other 2 Apollo 11 astronauts are still alive today. And they did it with computers on board that were far, far, ancient compared to the PC I am typing this post on today.

Sadly the money ran out and all we have done is circling the earth. And now with the shuttles mothballed we have to rely on the Soviets to take us there.

Hopefully in my lifetime I will see a man or woman on Mars.

hopefully in our lifetime people who dont believe this event happened, that the earth is flat, that vaccines are dangerious, etc etc...

will also die out....

Comment

I have become mildly obsessed with the Apollo story. One Giant Leap (Fishman) is an outstanding book, if you want to get up to speed on the subject.

Comment

One of the greatest achievements of humankind. And that evening, as a ten year old glued to the tv as Neal Armstrong descended those steps, was one of the peak moments of my life.
        My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

I have an interest in astronomy, and the history of the space program but I have absolutely no idea why we would want to go to Mars. Mars is a unforgiving climate, it’s not like Hawaii, the environment is not conducive to supporting life. We should focus our resources to bettering this planet and the problems we have on Earth.

Comment

My earliest childhood memory is watching the Apollo 11 launch and the moon landing. My family did not own a TV at the time, but my parents rented one for the occasion.

Comment

We need to go because it is the next step. We need to lay the very basics of space exploration of there is any hope of our distant descendents truly exploring space.
              Also it challenges us as a people. The things we learned in getting to the moon rocketed our technological advancement.
              We have all our eggs in one basket. We will eventually need another.

Comment

Nah I don’t buy the whole we need a backup to planet earth, I think the average temperature on mars is like -80, the atmosphere is unbreathable. It’s not a place for humans, it’s not a backup. Our backup is earth...

Comment

I would never consider Mars a pack up for Earth. if Mars had a sustainable colony and Earth was destroyed Mars would quickly follow. I'm considering the distant future when other habitable planets can be found and explored. It's going to happen eventually and what we do today me speed or slow that process considerably. Much like the compounding effect of compound interest.
                  Personally in my lifetime over the next 50 years or so I expect that we will land on Mars but that is not really truly important I think the more important thing would be to set up a reasonably self-sustainable outpost on the moon. I think that would be much more useful in further exploring space and developing the technology to live in a non ideal environment.

However I am just a physician not an astrophysicist. Most of my opinions are not back by any real science just the hopes and dreams of an avid science-fiction enthusiast.

Comment

FLP, I'm curious if you're constantly disagreeable in real life, as well?

Comment

Just a funny anecdote about the landing. Was golfing with 2 70 something ophthalmologists from WP AFB last year. Both knew Neil. Said when Neil was a child in Wapakoneta, Ohio he was playing baseball in the backyard with friends. A ball was batted under the window of a neighbors house, Neil went to retrieve it. Under the open window he heard Mrs. Jones say to Mr. Jones “there will be a man on the moon before I have sex with you”. The Docs say the static you hear before Neil speaks on the moon cover up his true first words... “good luck Mr. Jones!” Certainly a joke, but funny nonetheless. I watched the landing at Boy Scout camp under the stars...amazing!

Comment

For those who didn't get to live it or want to relive it...

apolloinrealtime.org

Replaying the transmissions and video feeds of the entire mission right now exactly as it happened 50 years ago, to the second.  Spoiler alert:  Tune in by 16:17 Eastern time if you want to hear "The Eagle has landed."

Comment

FLP, I’m curious if you’re constantly disagreeable in real life, as well?

I’m curious, what have I written in this thread could be construed as disagreeable?

if you mean “disagreeable” in terms of having a contrarian lean, then I would agree with you, it has served me well.

Comment

This was the night 50 years ago that man set foot on a terrestrial body other than earth. What a moment it was of human achievement. And 10 years earlier we had not even gone beyond our atmosphere.

Only 12 have set foot on the moon and only 4 are still alive. Surprisingly the other 2 Apollo 11 astronauts are still alive today. And they did it with computers on board that were far, far, ancient compared to the PC I am typing this post on today.

Sadly the money ran out and all we have done is circling the earth. And now with the shuttles mothballed we have to rely on the Soviets to take us there.

Hopefully in my lifetime I will see a man or woman on Mars.

Thank god the space shuttles were mothballed, poorly designed, and dangerous.

Comment

If anyone wants a fun read or TV viewing experience that is set in human civilization after the colonization of the moon, Mars, asteroid belt, and much of the Solar system, consider reading "The Expanse" series of sci-fi books or watch the 3 (soon to be 4) seasons of The Expanse on TV (was on Sci-Fi network, switching to Amazon network this fall.) I prefer the books, they get into the science and practical realities of such a world in a much more scientifically accurate way.

Comment

Working...
                              X