Emotional Support Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotional Support Animals

Here we go again: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/us/emotional-support-animal.html

What kind of rational person says that someone can keep an alligator as an emotional support animal? I mean some of this stuff is insane but thats a whole other level. I'm sure the thing is going to give you a lot of emotional support in a year when it's big enough to eat you. That is a public safety issue and the physician who let that happen should be held accountable.

Comment

I'm glad that some states, airlines, etc. are cracking down. At some point, common sense needs to prevail.

Comment

What kind of rational person says that someone can keep an alligator as an emotional support animal? I mean some of this stuff is insane but thats a whole other level. I’m sure the thing is going to give you a lot of emotional support in a year when it’s big enough to eat you. That is a public safety issue and the physician who let that happen should be held accountable.

You mean you're not going to approve my request for an emotional support Siberian Tiger? *cries*

I guess I'll just have to settle for an emotional support Cobra instead. 

Seriously, I agree with the others.  I can see emotional support animals serving a legitimate role for some people with severe anxiety or other emotional disorders, but the animals chosen to fill this role need to be selected from species that are not normally regarded as dangerous (not alligators!), and need appropriate training.  No one wants to be around someone's ill-mannered and aggressive pet.  And when it comes to public transportation (especially flights), the needs of an allergic person should trump the needs of the person with an emotional support animal; it should be the person with the emotional support critter who has to take a later flight if it would be dangerous for both parties to stay on the same plane.  (I used to occasionally fly with my pet parrot, who fit in a carrier that went under the seat.  I had to pay for the privilege of bringing her on board - but if there had been someone on the plane with a severe allergy to feathers, I would of course have been fine with taking another flight.  Asthma attacks at 30,000 feet are best avoided!)

Comment

Deja vu.

"Hard times make strong men.

Strong men make good times.

Good times make weak men.

Weak men make hard times."

Comment

Deja vu.

“Hard times make strong men.

Strong men make good times.

Good times make weak men.

Weak men make hard times.”

That's a succinct explanation of the four turnings.

Comment

Now that airlines and landlords are not accepting letters from therapists anymore I have been getting a bunch more requests.

Comment

I recently was seated between a lady with her pet rabbit and another lady with a large dog. The lady with the dog readily admitted to me that her "friend" signed her ESA letter so she could fly her pet for free. I felt like I was on Noah's Ark. The smell on that flight was wonderful!

Comment

Lawyer after lawyer turned down Mr. Myers’s case, but Mr. Dietz took it right away. And with the help of HUD, he successfully negotiated with the landlord for Primadonna to stay.

If a client says he needs a duck, he needs a duck, Mr. Dietz said. “Why would somebody lie about something like that?

You have got to be effing kidding me!

Comment

Now that airlines and landlords are not accepting letters from therapists anymore I have been getting a bunch more requests.

And how are you responding?

Comment

Having a son with autism, I can completely empathize on the benefit of an emotional support animal.

That said, human safety takes precedence over individual comfort. We routinely vacate space for others with more sensitive disabilties . It's the right thing to do.

What gets me is when the involved party makes it a demand. Happened actually this week when we were on southwest flight. We preboarded and took first row due to son kicks all the time and makes a terrible experience for the passenger in front otherwise.

At the end on boarding, a lady comes in who missed preboard and demanded her medical issue necessitate first row. At first I was going to volunteer but then she got demanding and contentious with the crew who were standing their ground as they knew our own situation when we preoboarded. I declined to volunteer. She ultimately left the plane to reschedule as she didn't want to sit on the other side second row.

Honey gets more than vinegar and even if you qualify for something, better to be nice and cognizant of others' needs. [Endrant]

Comment

Lawyer after lawyer turned down Mr. Myers’s case, but Mr. Dietz took it right away. And with the help of HUD, he successfully negotiated with the landlord for Primadonna to stay.

If a client says he needs a duck, he needs a duck, Mr. Dietz said. “Why would somebody lie about something like that?

I suspect Mr. Myer's actually means that.  Honest people usually have trouble wrapping their brains around the truth of just how many people are quite willing to engage in dishonesty (especially petty dishonesty) when it benefits them to do so.

Comment

Click to expand…

I suspect Mr. Myer’s actually means that.  Honest people usually have trouble wrapping their brains around the truth of just how many people are quite willing to engage in dishonesty (especially petty dishonesty) when it benefits them to do so.

People also have a difficult time distinguishing between need and want.  The two terms seem to be used interchangeably these days.

Comment

I just scanned that NYT article and was getting really irritated.  My dog came over and gave me emotional support and told me to calm down and take her for a walk.

Comment

Click to expand…

I suspect Mr. Myer’s actually means that.  Honest people usually have trouble wrapping their brains around the truth of just how many people are quite willing to engage in dishonesty (especially petty dishonesty) when it benefits them to do so.

That's the equivalent of an ER doctor believing the patient with abdominal pain who says he accidentally flushed his bottle of Percocet down the toilet or the teacher who believes his student who says his dog ate his homework.  There's honest, and then there's just stupidly naive.

Comment

Working...
                              X