Weighted blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighted blankets

Given the quality of previous discussions on socks, whiskey, and other topics...

One daughter fidgets and tosses/turns all night in bed.  We've been reading about the potential positive impact of weighted blankets for children.  In this reading, we've also come across many sites which discuss adult usage.  Some people (dramatically) claim they've been transformative.  Years of call, multiple children, a sleep schedule with constant variation, and a growing prostate have all taken their toll on my sleep quality.

Has anyone her tried a weighted blanket for themselves or their child?  What are your thoughts?

Spouse and I run hot ... No way I can see this being helpful.

Sleep hygiene über alles.

Comment

@peds: I do as well. We set our AC on 65 at night. That’s my biggest worry - being hot

Comment

I just go down to the garage, get the 45 lb plates off the barbell and throw them on top of the comforter. Seems to do the trick.

Comment

These were all the rage a few Christmases ago. They make zero sense to me. I would seriously predict lawsuits down the line.

Fat people have dozens of pounds of lard on top of their chest and abdomen, and they sleep much worse... pulmonary, GI, card, etc issues. These would basically make fit people have slightly labored breathing and probably develop the same types of issues in the long run. Growing kids might even develop ortho problems also... but if you're a pro back cracker, you can probably manipulate any of those out?

Try telling an anesthesia or pulm or cardio guy you want to put a weighted blanket on top of a patient and check out the WTF look on their face, lol.

Comment

Bought one for my son for Christmas (11yo).  He likes that "tight/heaviness" feeling too.    I use it some as well. Its  really good for naps.   Does make you hot at night though.  I guess you could have a box fan blowing directly on you and maybe you wouldn't get so hot if using the blanket.    Got ours at Target around Christmas for $99.

Comment

I'm a terrible sleeper.

Not only have we completely blacked out the windows, I turn the AC to 61 (as low as it will go), crank up a Homemedics white noise machine, and sleep under a thick, although not "weighted" cotton quilt from Guatemala. There are plenty of natural-fiber, non-weighted alternatives that are just heavy enough to help with sleep without compromising respiration.

G'luck.

Comment

These were all the rage a few Christmases ago. They make zero sense to me. I would seriously predict lawsuits down the line.

Fat people have dozens of pounds of lard on top of their chest and abdomen, and they sleep much worse… pulmonary, GI, card, etc issues. These would basically make fit people have slightly labored breathing and probably develop the same types of issues in the long run. Growing kids might even develop ortho problems also… but if you’re a pro back cracker, you can probably manipulate any of those out? ?

Try telling an anesthesia or pulm or cardio guy you want to put a weighted blanket on top of a patient and check out the WTF look on their face, lol.

that's kind of a different thing dude....

Comment

I bought one a few weeks ago.  its fine, doesn't get too hot, maybe a slight improvement in sleep quality but nothing major.

Comment

We got one a while back.  I happen to like it, as long as I can have one leg/foot out for temp control :P  Probably my favorite thing about it is that it stays where it is.  I'm a restless sleeper; so it helps with that.  I notice that I do sleep better with it.

On the other side of the coin, my wife doesn't see any change in her sleep when she uses it.

Comment

No way am I getting under one way too hot.

We do have some for our patients on the psych ward they seem to like it.  Not at bedtime though.  Kinda like a thundercoat for dogs.

Comment

I don’t know the data, but anecdotally I’ve had experts say they help kids with sensory issues or ADHD relax and fall asleep at night.

My wife got one last winter — she says it helps her fall asleep. It’s warming up now so idk if she will keep using it.

Comment

My daughter loves hers in the winter and all the restless sleeping calms waaay down.  In the summer, she  kicks everything off and the restless sleeping is back.

Comment

I got one for my wife because she likes having a heavy blanket but gets too hot with the thick comforters.  The weighted blanket is of course warmer then just a sheet or nothing but it provides the weight of a very heavy thick blanket with the warmth of only a thin lighter blanket if that makes sense.

This is the one we got and she has been very happy with it.  Comes in a lot of sizes.  Covers are separate

https://www.amazon.com/YnM-Weighted-Blanket-Cotton-Material/dp/B073429DV2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=7TE4YXJTODPU&keywords=weighted+blanket&qid=1558712484&s=gateway&sprefix=weight%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-4

Comment

My younger son was coming into our bed 4 to 5 times a week with nightmares.

I suggested a weighted blanket, and my wife made one for each of our kids.

In the 6 months or so since, I think we were woken up once the first week with one nightmare. After that, he either stopped having them or figured it was too much work to get out from under that heavy blanket and back underneath it.

Either way, problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X