Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting residency with lower debt burden

Hi folks,

I'm a graduating M4 and was fortunate enough to have a scholarship that enabled me to avoid taking out any loans during medical school. However I still have a relatively small amount of debt from undergrad in deferment that I am trying to figure out how to best repay. The rough breakdown is:

Perkins: $1000 (5%)
    2 Direct Subsidized: $4000 (average of 4%)
    Direct Unsubsidized: $6000 (6.8%)

Originally I was planning on just refinancing my loans in June, but then I read about REPAYE and the unpaid interest subsidy. My new plan is to:
    • Apply to consolidate my Perkins and Direct Unsubsidized loan near the end of the CARE act grace period (my loans are no longer eligible for the 6 month grace period after graduation)
      • This to make my Perkins loan qualify for REPAYE as well as keep my lowest interest loans separate
    • Do $0 payments for 1 year of residency to receive the unpaid interest subsidy
    • Refinance at the end of that period and use the money saved to pay down the higher interest rate loans

Does this make sense or am I overlooking anything? I understand with a lower debt amount the decisions aren't as consequential as someone with $200k, but if I can save a few hundred dollars in interest or more during residency I'd rather not leave anything on the table.

Thanks for any insight

I'm not well read on the various loan options available today but I just want you to know that you should in no way fret over this. $11k in debt after medical school? You've made it to financial easy street!

Comment

I concur with Cord. The fact you are even thinking about this puts you far ahead. Many people have a larger auto loan than this.

Comment

If you pay it off over the first year of residency the small interest difference will not make any impact. Mathematically you could stretch this out a number of different ways that make sense on paper but are just silly to waste your time on for a couple hundred bucks.

Focus your attention on a good financial plan and maximizing your tax advantaged space in residency. And learning medicine of course :P

Comment

Working...
        X