X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REPAY vs PAYE for anesthesia resident

I am thinking about going for REPAYE, but I wanted to make sure this is the right move. I’m starting anesthesia residency next year with about 230,000 in federal loans. I will likely be married by year 2 of residency. My plan is to live like a resident once I’m an attending and pay off those loans within 2-3 years - I am likely going into private practice, so no PSLF. My spouse is also a resident and I will be done with my residency before her. Does it make sense to go with REPAYE in order to get the interest subsidy over PAYE, given my financial plan/situation?

Try to get an idea of the job landscape where you hope to end up. Where I trained, the local anesthesia groups I was considering were all private groups contracted by the hospital, thus didnt qualify for the loan forgiveness programs. As such, I refinanced as an intern and saved 10's of thousands of dollars in interest over the course of residency and fellowship. Will have them paid off less than 2 years out of training, starting with more debt than you mentioned.

Comment

REPAYE and PAYE are typically used for people going for PSLF. Since you're not, seems like it would make more sense to refinance to get a lower interest rate during those 2-3 yrs of payoff. The calculator in this article may help.
      Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

REPAYE may be a PSLF eligible plan, but it often times is the mathematical best option for non-PSLF-ers as well during residency.

Run the numbers and check out what refinance looks like, but it's possible/probable that REPAYE is the best option. Similarly unlikely that PAYE is relevant in this situation.

In REPAYE, you're effective interest rate can be as low as (X-.25%)/2. We don't have enough info to figure that out, but assuming you have 6.08% rate, assuming MFJ at 100k AGI, it looks like you're payment would be $633 per month. that'd give you a subsidy of $266 per month which would drop the effective rate to about 4.7% (that can be lowered if your AGI is lower).

Comment

It should be re-stated in case its missed: YOU WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR THESE IN PRIVATE PRACTICE.

Comment

This Kitces article out today sounds promising, but I have no comment other than everything else that appears in his column is worthwhile and well-researched: Selecting Income-Driven Repayment (IDR) Plans To Manage Student Loan Obligations
            Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the helpful responses on my previous post!

Now that I have decided to go with REPAYE, how can I go about calculating the amount that I will owe on my loan after making the required payments for REPAYE during residency?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I moved your post back to your original as you had not yet responded and it's a continuation of your initial question.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
                  I moved your post back to your original as you had not yet responded and it's a continuation of your initial question.
                  Thank you!

Comment

I would suggest using the calculator jfox linked to and creating an excel. Then guesstimate- year 1 my AGI is X, year 2 our combined AGI is Y (assuming marriage), so on and so forth. Then you add subtract multiply and divide to come to the total amount left.

In my very simplified example above, you'd have 230000 + unpaid interest of 12768 (4 years of $266) = $242,768

Comment

You're planning on private practice, thus no loan forgiveness. Why would you not refinance at a lower rate? Not unusual to cut the interest nearly in half. Most programs have $100-200/mo payments during training. Maybe I'm missing something

Comment

Originally posted by 8arclay View Post
                        You're planning on private practice, thus no loan forgiveness. Why would you not refinance at a lower rate? Not unusual to cut the interest nearly in half. Most programs have $100-200/mo payments during training. Maybe I'm missing something
                        OP likely will have an effective interest rate year one of 3% ish and required payments of $0 by staying in REPAYE if they consolidate immediately after graduation and start payments right away. Then they should pretty easily continue to have effective rates in the 3-4% range after that. Do you know a private refinancer that has rates lower than that?

Comment

Forgot about the interest subsidy, makes sense. Im currently under 2% through SoFi, although its a 5 yr variable. Not sure thats worth switching to compared to REPAYE

Comment

• East coast
                            East coast commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I assume you are post training as well? A rate given to a resident vs a rate given to an attending with a contract in hand is worth hundreds of basis points. I’ve heard of 5+% being normal for residency refinancing, though I’m sure that can change due to a number of factors.

• 8arclay
                            8arclay commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Fair point. Yes, I'm early attending. I was at 4% fixed as resident/fellow, consistent with what you're saying

I developed this YouTube video analyzing REPAYE for medical students. Might be of interest to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1V6ifG43c

Comment

Working...
                          X