Backdoor Roth IRA and REPAYE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor Roth IRA and REPAYE

I was wondering If any of you could help me answer a question regarding contributing to a backdoor Roth IRA and PSLF payments as well as it’s affect on adjusted gross income.

Info:
    Wife and I both attending PCP physicians going for PSLF on REPYE filing married jointly. 500k combined federal student loans and both pay 1300 a month each for a total of 2600 per month under Repaye.
    40 of 120 credited payments into PSLF on fedloan servicing
    Salary combined 600k

Question:
    My wife and I were planning on contributing to a Backdoor Roth IRA limit $6000 each this year for 2019 taxes.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide any information on how this would affect our student loan repayment for the upcoming year?
    Would contributing to a backdoor Roth IRA increase our monthly payment as the 12k contributed to backdoor Roth IRA count as part of our AGI thereby increasing our monthly payment?

Any information you could provide regarding backdoor Roth IRA contributions and PSLF payment changes would be helpful.

It doesn't decrease your taxable income at all. So it shouldn't matter.
    What what do you think your other option is?

Comment

When I saw this post I was wondering what the heck these two things had to do with one another..... The so called "Backdoor Roth" is a non-deductible, post-tax contribution to your tIRA that you roll-over into your rIRA. The key is the non-deductible contribution, which has no effect on your AGI. Based on this question (this is not an insult), I think you could benefit greatly from either the WCI book or the WCI course to increase your fund of knowledge on investing basics.

Also, based on your yearly income, are you sure that REPAYE is the correct IDR plan for you? Doesn't that plan have no cap? You're monthly payment amounts are going to be large...

Comment

It won't reduce your income, which is where I think people kind of circle around to the idea that it increases income. It has no effect, just doesn't lower taxable income like a 401k contribution does.
        Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

Assuming OP isn't planning on reducing 401k contribution in order to fund roths with a 600k income.

Comment

Working...
          X