Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“In a generation hard hit by the Wall Street crash of 2008, it forgives all student debt and ends the absurdity of sentencing an entire generation to a lifetime of debt for the ‘crime’ of getting a college education.”

These people chose to go to college and signed the notes promising to pay this debt right???

Comment

It’s almost comical to me that what seems like on a weekly basis a democratic candidate has to one up the other candidates by offering more “free” stuff to buy votes. Please feel free to add to the list if I’ve missed any:

1. Free college
      2. Paid off student loans
      3. Free childcare
      4. Free healthcare
      5. Reparations
      6. Guaranteed income
      7. Free housing

I’m sure it’ll grow, we’ve still got 16+ months until Election Day.

Comment

This kind of thinking is just so financially irresponsible, and really amounts to nothing more than trying to buy votes. Last I had seen he was falling behind, so now out come the more grandiose “promises” to make him relevant again.

The older I get the more centrist I lean, but this stuff is really getting out of control.

Comment

Sure. But the tax cuts for the wealthy bought votes, too.

Comment

Yes, I mean, It sure would be nice if Docs paid their "fair share". We pay almost nothing and never work for our money. We certainly deserve to be punished.

https://whitecoatinvestor.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=106bf0eb2d98400b0754830dc&id=a9ac30426c&e=03a94490be

Comment

It’s almost comical to me that what seems like on a weekly basis a democratic candidate has to one up the other candidates by offering more “free” stuff to buy votes. Please feel free to add to the list if I’ve missed any:

1. Free college
              3. Free childcare
              4. Free healthcare
              5. Reparations
              6. Guaranteed income
              7. Free housing

8. Tax refunds "denied" to same sex couples.

Warren Introduces Bill...

Comment

Click to expand…

Yes, I mean, It sure would be nice if Docs paid their “fair share”. We pay almost nothing and never work for our money. We certainly deserve to be punished.

https://whitecoatinvestor.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=106bf0eb2d98400b0754830dc&id=a9ac30426c&e=03a94490be

I didn't get a tax cut, and I live in flyover. Many docs on the coasts are paying more. Most of the tax cuts didn't go to physicians, but to business.

But my point is, deserved or not, and regardless of who received a tax cut or didn't, all politicians buy votes from their preferred groups. Maybe you don't think student loan borrowers deserve relief and that docs in certain income and businesses do; regardless,  it's still some form of vote-buying.

Comment

I don't vote in my best interest. I vote in the nation's. Two different things. So no I don't believe everybody buys votes. Too many people vote for their own interest only. I'd give up a bit personally if I thought it was going to improve the country.

Comment

1. Free college
                    3. Free childcare
                    4. Free healthcare
                    5. Reparations
                    6. Guaranteed income
                    7. Free housing

Don't forget free internet.  We should have free interwebs!

Comment

Snowcanyon,

In percentage terms (which is the only reasonable way to look at it since income tax is based on percentages), lower income earners received a larger income tax cut than those in the top bracket.  This is true when you look at just the marginal rates and is especially true when you factor in the increase in the size of the standard deduction.  My federal income taxes actually went up slightly (I'm in the top bracket and pretty sure would fit most people's definition of "wealthy").  How it affected the wealthy was largely dependent on how much state income tax/property tax they pay, but it ranged from a small tax cut to a small tax increase.

"Tax cuts for the wealthy" is an inaccurate and misleading campaign sound bite that gets trotted out any time tax cuts are on the table.  It's difficult to cut income taxes for people who pay little or no income tax which means any tax cut can be misleadingly characterized as "a tax cut for the wealthy."  It's really a silly argument.  But it sounds good as a campaign sound bite.

Comment

I don’t vote in my best interest. I vote in the nation’s. Two different things. So no I don’t believe everybody buys votes. Too many people vote for their own interest only. I’d give up a bit personally if I thought it was going to improve the country.

Do you truly serve the realm?

Comment

All this tax talk reminded me of this thing I saw years ago.  Thanks to google I found it rather quick.  Sorry it is long.

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes,it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
                          The fifth would pay $1.
                          The sixth would pay $3.
                          The seventh would pay $7.
                          The eighth would pay $12.
                          The ninth would pay $18.
                          The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that’s what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. ‘Since you are all such good customers,’ he said, ‘I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.’ Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free.

But what about the other six men – the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his ‘fair share?’

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
                          The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100%savings).
                          The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
                          The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
                          The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
                          The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
                          The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

‘I only got a dollar out of the $20,’ declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, ‘but he got $10!’

‘Yeah, that’s right,’ exclaimed the fifth man. ‘I only saved a dollar, too. It’s unfair that he got ten times more than I got!’

‘That’s true!!’ shouted the seventh man. ‘Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!’

‘Wait a minute,’ yelled the first four men in unison. ‘We didn’t get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!’

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn’t show up for drinks so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works!!

The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

Comment

Click to expand…

Yes, I mean, It sure would be nice if Docs paid their “fair share”. We pay almost nothing and never work for our money. We certainly deserve to be punished.

Docs being "wealthy" is relative.   Compared to the vast majority of the population, especially in rural areas, most doc's are certainly wealthy.   Compared to my friends from college who are in finance or tech in NYC or SF, the average doctor's salary is pretty pathetic.    The strangest part about it is that my patients from rural areas, who do not seem to have much money, are die-hard republicans.   My friends who make >1mil in NY or SF are Democrats.   Honestly, I don't think it's about the money.

Comment

I really hope there is a candidate in this next election who I can vote for in good conscience.

Comment

Working...
                              X