First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start learning

Hi Everyone
    I wanted to know your recommendation as far as investing courses/training
    I am interested in passive income from rental properties while having a company manage it
    I am not sure where to start. Would like to have some recommendations

If that's where you've decided your interests lie, probably Peter Kim's site, Passive Income MD. Nothing against Peter - I really like him - but you will get a singular perspective on RE investing there. If you're also interested in whether it's appropriate for you, continue to ask questions about it here.

Personally, I don't think this route is a OSFA choice for physicians as (sometimes) seems to be the consensus. If you believe you can beat the long-term market with these deals and the long-term returns are at least as sure as long-term overall market returns have been, then to each his own! You'll be in good company at PIMD and with many on this forum.
    Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

I’ll save you a lot of pain and headache, forget about real estate investing, invest regularly in the stock market and check back with me in 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid View Post
        Hi Everyone
        I wanted to know your recommendation as far as investing courses/training
        I am interested in passive income from rental properties while having a company manage it
        I am not sure where to start. Would like to have some recommendations
        biggerpockets if you want to do real estate.
        bogleheads, WCI blog, book list if you are looking for retirement accounts type investing.

Comment

learning is great. But from your last thread you have over $1M debt already. I’d work on paying that down while you learn, but don’t go further in debt. Too much risk at this stage for you

Comment

Agree with biggerpockets. Also like landlordology. Agree with focusing on RE education for a few years while paying off your debts and building your retirement savings.

I recommended you consider starting with your own office space, if feasible, for two reasons:

1- It's not real estate versus investing in the markets with this money. It's between paying rent to someone else versus paying rent to yourself.
            2- You don't have to deal with any tenant aggravations. "Tenant" is guaranteed.

Residential generally has lower threshold to entry, just make sure to study the sweet spot in the DC area (sq footage, monthly rent, proximity to city, etc.).

Comment

Becoming wealthy isn’t complicated, it’s too bad too many people make it so.

Comment

It’s purely a math calculation, capital allocation. What calculation have you ran that makes you think you have a greater return available?
                You can read up and study, that doesn’t give you and edge. You interest in an investment should be based on expected returns.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
                  learning is great. But from your last thread you have over $1M debt already. I’d work on paying that down while you learn, but don’t go further in debt. Too much risk at this stage for you
                  I just wanted to learn about so that when I pay a good chunk I have some knowledge that’s all

Comment

Originally posted by EntrepreneurMD View Post
                    Agree with biggerpockets. Also like landlordology. Agree with focusing on RE education for a few years while paying off your debts and building your retirement savings.

I recommended you consider starting with your own office space, if feasible, for two reasons:

1- It's not real estate versus investing in the markets with this money. It's between paying rent to someone else versus paying rent to yourself.
                    2- You don't have to deal with any tenant aggravations. "Tenant" is guaranteed.

Residential generally has lower threshold to entry, just make sure to study the sweet spot in the DC area (sq footage, monthly rent, proximity to city, etc.).
                    Thanks for your suggestion
                    A freind of mine tried this but I think downtown dc office space is kinda of difficult
                    however in Northern Virginia which is like a DC suburb really it’s doable question is what’s smarter relocating from this really busy area or just buying another office in the future and buy the real estate as well

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
                      If that's where you've decided your interests lie, probably Peter Kim's site, Passive Income MD. Nothing against Peter - I really like him - but you will get a singular perspective on RE investing there. If you're also interested in whether it's appropriate for you, continue to ask questions about it here.

Personally, I don't think this route is a OSFA choice for physicians as (sometimes) seems to be the consensus. If you believe you can beat the long-term market with these deals and the long-term returns are at least as sure as long-term overall market returns have been, then to each his own! You'll be in good company at PIMD and with many on this forum.
                      Kind of embarrassed to ask, but what does OSFA stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by mkintx View Post

Kind of embarrassed to ask, but what does OSFA stand for?
                        One size fits all, apparently

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

One size fits all, apparently
                          Sorry, that's it.
                          Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                          X